Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

I’ve been checking on the rules of the game, which seem to be in a state of continual flux and revision. Not sure if all the rules apply in all matches - international rules may be different from national ones - I really don’t know.

I didn’t know that rebound goals like Kane’s penalty shot(s) were allowed, but clearly they are - otherwise there’d be an outcry. However isn’t there a proposal to change that?

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
      Yes Jensen went off injured, during half time in extra time I think, they had no subs left
      That was an extraordinary mistake by the manager making it more or less impossible for Denmark to pull a goal back. They did incredibly well keeping England out.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        I’ve been checking on the rules of the game, which seem to be in a state of continual flux and revision. Not sure if all the rules apply in all matches - international rules may be different from national ones - I really don’t know.

I didn’t know that rebound goals like Kane’s penalty shot(s) were allowed, but clearly they are - otherwise there’d be an outcry. However isn’t there a proposal to change that?
        I hope not - just as in a free kick the ball should stay in play.

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

What Euro 2020 has shown so clearly that all teams now plot how to 'win' ie cheat / fabricate their ways to advantage by falls, footie slang is 'buying' free kicks, by making sure they - e.g. new star Grealish = master at this - are tripped in advantageous areas of the pitch etc etc and then employ mighty yells of misery / play acting - and the latest/most fashionable is to grab the head - to ensure the 'foul' is seen and dramatised on telly etc, and and a free kick is given '

Refs have power to card such rank cheating. Few do.
          Last edited by DracoM; 08-07-21, 09:36.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
            Disgrace - that was NOT a penalty
            Technically it was, though only just. However, McGuire’s yellow card wasn’t really a foul, and arguably we should have been awarded a penalty earlier. It’s swings and roundabouts.

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
              So agree about the commentator, poor show.
              Commentator also spoilt it for me. I eventually turned the sound off. A pity that if you play the radio sound it's out of sync. For me the dodgy penalty was preferable to a shoot-out lottery ... but I'm not Danish.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Re Msg 6200
                There has probably always been some element of cheating, or at the very least uncertainty about some aspects of the game. However football now seems to involve a lot of “physicality”, either with the intention of not being caught, or as suggested with hope that the opponents will make a mistake and a ruling will go against them in a dangerous area of the pitch.

I don’t really believe in rose tinted spectacles, but didn’t some games in - perhaps long - bygone years show real talent, rather than trickery and exploitation of the rules, or indifference or blindness by referees?

Some of the other games in this series may have showed more flair. Several have gone on longer than a performance of Mahler’s 3rd, and perhaps in some cases I could have spent my time better listening to that - though I’m not an “expert” or a “fan” of football so it’s not really up to me to make judgements about other’s enthusiasms.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                  Commentator also spoilt it for me. I eventually turned the sound off. A pity that if you play the radio sound it's out of sync. For me the dodgy penalty was preferable to a shoot-out lottery ... but I'm not Danish.
                  The commentator almost spoilt it for me. Woe, woe and thrice woe! He was a real Job's comforter.

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
                    • Nov 2010

They're allowed if the rebound is from the keeper, but not from the post. I don't see why they should change it - which probably makes it certain that they will!

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
                      • Nov 2010

Re Msg 6200
                      There has probably always been some element of cheating, or at the very least uncertainty about some aspects of the game. However football now seems to involve a lot of “physicality”, either with the intention of not being caught, or as suggested with hope that the opponents will make a mistake and a ruling will go against them in a dangerous area of the pitch.

I don’t really believe in rose tinted spectacles, but didn’t some games in - perhaps long - bygone years show real talent, rather than trickery and exploitation of the rules, or indifference or blindness by referees?

Some of the other games in this series may have showed more flair. Several have gone on longer than a performance of Mahler’s 3rd, and perhaps in some cases I could have spent my time better listening to that - though I’m not an “expert” or a “fan” of football so it’s not really up to me to make judgements about other’s enthusiasms.
                      If you include half-time, any game is longer than Mahler 3. And you can never be quite sure about the outcome of that either; I've heard some that lost on extra-time and penalties.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post
                        They're allowed if the rebound is from the keeper, but not from the post.
                        That makes some sense. Would (could) that also apply in a penalty shoot out?

Comment

• antongould
                          • Nov 2010

Re Msg 6200

“Preoccupation with satisfaction of physical drives and appetites”

…. Is my dictionary’s definition of physicality and when I played, all those decades ago, most centre halfs had it in spades ….. the first time their opponent’s centre forward got the ball it was simply a question of how high they could kick him ….. I was, of course, far too cultured ….

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                            He was full of windy rhetoric but didn’t convey basic information like the Danes only having 10 players. I once heard of someone who watched a Chinese feed of the premier league through a sat dish and then ran the BBC radio commentary through a delay on his computer to get it in sync....
                            Last edited by Ein Heldenleben; 08-07-21, 12:26.

Comment

• LHC
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                              What Euro 2020 has shown so clearly that all teams now plot how to 'win' ie cheat / fabricate their ways to advantage by falls, footie slang is 'buying' free kicks, by making sure they - e.g. new star Grealish = master at this - are tripped in advantageous areas of the pitch etc etc and then employ mighty yells of misery / play acting - and the latest/most fashionable is to grab the head - to ensure the 'foul' is seen and dramatised on telly etc, and and a free kick is given '

Refs have power to card such rank cheating. Few do.
                              Footballers have been falling over at the slightest touch, and in some cases ‘diving’ for as long as I can remember, and there have been calls for refs not to tolerate this for a great many years. Indeed, I think the refs at this tournament have in the main been very good, and have been far more likely to wave play on, and not award free kicks or penalties for ‘dives’ than has often been the case.

The penalty last night was rather soft, and there could have been no complaints if it had not been given. However, there was contact with Sterling from two Danish players, neither of whom were close to touching the ball, and the decision was checked by VAR. In a marginal case like this, I think it rather like ‘umpires call’ in cricket; VAR disclosed no reason to overturn the decision to award a penalty.
                              "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                              Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Zucchini
                                • Nov 2010

"UEFA has opened disciplinary proceedings against England after fans shone a laser at Denmark goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel during the Euro 2020 semi-final and booed the Scandinavian country's national anthem.

As laser pointer was directed at Schmeichel before he saved Harry Kane's extra-time penalty - only for the England captain to score the rebound."
                                SKY/BBC & everywhere in Europe I should think

The TV camera shows the green laser on his cheek. Southgate should offer to annul the goal and decide the match with a toss of a coin (Denmark will say no, let's forget it). That's all we can do to mitigate. Terrible end to a good day.

Comment

Working...
                                X