Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

....the WC is a "shop window" for the players....Acuna, De Paul, McAlllister [just to mention Argentina) but many others too, have shown their worth as die hards who do not wilt in tricky tight situations....I don't really feel like that about many of England players....they have passed the lottery - got into the academies - made it to PL....most will not get further - money talks and stultifies....Its a much more complicated system I know. than I have time to write....but psychology of an England player as a player is mostly temperate /if they play well in PL - job for life.

....at this mo' the Euro managers will be looking up Sofyan Amrabat and wondering how much Florentina will take....

....and by look of England fans temperate and over 50...
    Last edited by eighthobstruction; 12-12-22, 16:02.
    bong ching

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
      ....the WC is a "shop window" for the players....Acuna, De Paul, McAlllister [just to mention Argentina) but many others too, have shown their worth as die hards who do not wilt in tricky tight situations....I don't really feel like that about many of England players....they have passed the lottery - got into the academies - made it to PL....most will not get further - money talks and stultifies....Its a much more complicated system I know. than I have time to write....but psychology of an England player as a player is mostly temperate /if they play well in PL - job for life.

....at this mo' the Euro managers will be looking up Sofyan Amrabat and wondering how much Florentina will take....

....and by look of England fans temperate and over 50...
      Interesting observations 8O. Top English players are still reluctuant to go abroad, which is a shame, but then money talks.

And yes, the England fans that one observed didn’t seem especially representative even of PL / EFL supporters .
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
        • Nov 2010

....I'm hoping the wits in the Chelsea crowd will chant to Hakim Ziyesh - "Why don't you play like that at Chelsea"....

....Poch and Tuchel top possible 'new' England Manager betting....
        bong ching

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
          A mega pedant writes :
          It’s St James Park Exeter but

St James’ Park Newcastle *

St.James’s Park London *

* According to wiki.

The only reason I know the first is that a slightly excitable sports reporter I used to work with would shout at the Radio when Radio 2 said St James’s Park in relation to The Grecians…
          Heh heh. I knew that would happen.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post
            Heh heh. I knew that would happen.
            Yes I once said to the irascible journalist that no one gave a stuff what Exeters ground is called exactly and it didnt go down very well.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
              Yes I once said to the irascible journalist that no one gave a stuff what Exeters ground is called exactly and it didnt go down very well.
              He probably wondered why a Greek football team played in Devon!

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                He probably wondered why a Greek football team played in Devon!
                There are various theories, one of which is that the nickname stemmed from a bunch of urchins known as the Greasy 'Uns.

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  In the end, the whole business will have done football ( of the global, elite level, multi millions of £’s kind) no favours.
                  I sense a turning point. The bubble of the last 25 years may not burst, but may start to deflate a little. Nothing is for ever, and with economic hard times here for many around the world, and cheaper, possibly more ethical alternatives available, change may finally be upon us. I hope so.

There has been so much to criticise, not least IMHO the absolutely feeble response of the FA to the armband incident who were quick enough to point a discriminatory finger during covid, that a lot of people must surely be re-evaluating their relationship with the professional game. i did a while ago, and this may be no bad thing.
                  Those who have stood up for principle ( among those who get paid to be involved) have either been few and far between , or kept quiet.
                  I know a number of hardcore, paying fans who have completely boycotted the WC. The fans have shown in many cases a lot more principle that the money takers.
                  Lessons have been taken.
                  And as for the ref last night…….there will be suspicion for a long time, i’m afraid to say.
                  Rather amused by your linking this back to the Exeter Prison story, TS. I don't think that business did football many favours either.

I agree with you though in wondering whether the moneyball bubble might be beginning to deflate, but I suspect that many in this country would choose circuses before bread, until it gets really bad. And we're nowhere near that yet, although those in power seem to be aiming to take us there.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                    • Nov 2010

Very good game last night with the French holding a fine Moroccan side at bay...just; and managing to squeeze into the final. I hope Morocco manage to win the 3rd place play-off. They just lacked a marauding striker last night.

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

<< They just lacked a marauding striker last night.>>

As indeed did England v France......ahem!!

Comment

• johncorrigan
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                        << They just lacked a marauding striker last night.>>

As indeed did England v France......ahem!!
                        During half time at the France/ Morocco game, Draco, I felt I was intruding at a wake as Shearer, Ferdinand and Lineker had a game of coulda/woulda/shoulda. I'm looking forward to seeing Greizmann in the final - he's been a favourite of mine for a few years now, but this World Cup he's been even better. I expect he'll get a bit of treatment meted out from Acuna and co, mind you.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                          • Nov 2010

No footie for the Buddies today as Motherwell are flooded out. But it seems small beer in comparison to the possible fate of 26 year-old Iranian footballer Amir Reza Nasr Azadani, sentenced to execution for protesting against the death of Mahsa Amini. How's about FIFA flexing its muscles here on behalf of the young guy?

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Owls 0 Oxford 0

Nother get out of jail point in injury time - this time a 97th minute saved penalty!

(Avoided a chance to go 2nd with Ipswich losing)

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              Owls 0 Oxford 0

Nother get out of jail point in injury time - this time a 97th minute saved penalty!

(Avoided a chance to go 2nd with Ipswich losing)
                              All a bit against the form book in L1 this weekend. Wycombe are going well, might be a dark horse ?
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                                All a bit against the form book in L1 this weekend. Wycombe are going well, might be a dark horse ?
                                Exactly, ts - Not just Wycombe - if we don’t buck up Barnsley, Bolton and Derby too - need to be top 2 as we’ll mess up if in olayoffs!

Comment

Working...
                                X