Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
    That's speaking as someone who didn't get in a standard passenger aircraft until 30
    Make that 50 in my case - but then took to it like the proverbial duck - and decided to learn to fly myself. Btw. which airfield?
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
      Make that 50 in my case - but then took to it like the proverbial duck - and decided to learn to fly myself. Btw. which airfield?
      Really.....now that is one extreme to another and gives pause for directional thought.......Kenley. It was with the Surrey Hills Gliding Club.

He's been doing it for 46 years, was instructive and reassuring and knew all of the local history - we had a very good chat while up there.

Comment

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
        Kenley. It was with the Surrey Hills Gliding Club.
        Famous airfield - seen it from on high as it were quite a few times but never landed there. I take it you are now well and truly hooked! :-)
        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Famous airfield - seen it from on high as it were quite a few times but never landed there. I take it you are now well and truly hooked! :-)
          I'm definitely going back in the next 30 days as I get a discount in that period. I was able to use the dual controls a little but that would be the time to do more. If it reassures, he does 8-12 of these things four days a week and has never had an accident. The only thing is I'm really slow at learning basic practicalities - needed help to get the wetsuit on properly at the canoe place, the same was with the parachute etc today and he told me what to do with a circular lever to release it in the unlikely event of problems. For example, it is close to Biggin Hill as you will know so if I spotted a plane to say immediately using the number of a clock. Then action could be taken but in the last resort we'd have to leap out. But when we got back and I had to get out of the glider, I needed him to release the circular lever because I hadn't taken that bit in. He said that if there had been an emergency that could have been unfortunate. No engined aircraft use Kenley because the runway is poor but some fly-pasts are especially allowed on days of commemoration - there will be a heroes day in September.

I still can't get over the fact that you took to actual flying not far off my current age.

It's extraordinary.
          Last edited by Lat-Literal; 31-07-17, 15:38.

Comment

Pre-flight briefings are important - in fact don't just listen to them but go through the motions and make sure you've "got it". Once you leave Biggin airspace (flying East-West) they always ask you "Report Kenley". Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy the next flight - but be warned: it's addictive!

Comment

Pre-flight briefings are important - in fact don't just listen to them but go through the motions and make sure you've "got it". Once you leave Biggin airspace (flying East-West) they always ask you "Report Kenley". Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy the next flight - but be warned: it's addictive!
              Thank you.

Comment

I grew up near Kenley Aerodrome. For our parents' 80th my sisters and I gave them a glider flight from there. They loved it. My sister alerted the local rag and they sent a reporter and published a photograph. They are long gone but now look out at us sitting in a glider in that photo on the sideboard.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                  I grew up near Kenley Aerodrome. For our parents' 80th my sisters and I gave them a glider flight from there. They loved it. My sister alerted the local rag and they sent a reporter and published a photograph. They are long gone but now look out at us sitting in a glider in that photo on the sideboard.
                  That's a very nice story gurnemanz - it goes to show what is possible.

Comment

Sunny and cloudy here today. Forecasters said sunny! Wrong again They say it's going top rain tomorrow! Wait and see!
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Terrific rolls of thunder hereabouts: downpour imminent!
                      Oh well, it will probably be 'fresher' tonight.

Comment

Lovely day yesterday, apart from the battery from the power pack of my wheelchair going! Luckily not too far from home, so MrsBBM walked back and picked the car up and picked me up.

Today, we are hoping that my mobility scooter will arrive!
                        Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                          Lovely day yesterday, apart from the battery from the power pack of my wheelchair going! Luckily not too far from home, so MrsBBM walked back and picked the car up and picked me up.

Have you lost a lot of weight, Bbm? Or is Mrs Bbm just a very strong lady??

The first batch of the expected rain has been passing through London for the past hour, blown along by a rising wind. Just got my shopping done before it arrived. That's my lot with the outdoors for today!

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post

Have you lost a lot of weight, Bbm? The (battery) charge of the light brigade? Or is Mrs Bbm just a very strong lady??

The first batch of the expected rain has been passing through London for the past hour, blown along by a rising wind. Just got my shopping done before it arrived. That's my lot with the outdoors for today!

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              Have you lost a lot of weight, Bbm? The (battery) charge of the light brigade? Or is Mrs Bbm just a very strong lady??
                              Loosing weight, no, I don't think so, at the moment! Mobility being rather difficult. I think there may be a problem with the battery. But I think that has been solved!

Yes, the rain is here too!
                              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Happy to report idyllic sunshine with a gentle prairie wind stirring the foliage...temperature just perfect.

Where am I? Visiting youngest in Iowa City.

Comment

Working...
                                X