Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice weather.

Day 1 of 2 of kayaking and canoeing for the first time ever at 54 - actually slightly nearer to 55. Never even had a wet suit on before. Almost drowned in the first five minutes and had to be rescued. A 60 something wag on the bank roared. After that I somehow managed not to capsize. The others said that they had no prior experience but then the canoe holiday in Canada emerged from two (late thirties/early forties) and some seriously active stuff if mainly on dry land from a girl barely into her twenties (mountain biking) etc. I was the oldest and the least adept but wasn't as awful as I anticipated. A couple of them were kind enough to say I did fine. "Well, you did travel entirely on your own across three quarters of the water".

This is an entirely different world in which (a) the trainers are at most in their mid twenties and have been doing such things regularly since six (thirteen competitively) and (b) on the internet there are many in their late 60s and 70s (mainly American) regretting how they can't always handle the vessels quite like they did fifty years ago. Like they should worry!

It is also a scene. Family bbbqs on the terrace (Quorn sausages), lots of kids - many cultures excited about the prospect of taking up various sports and, in fact, it is partially with a view to light supervision that their parents are putting themselves through the courses. I also felt that there was something distinctly herbal on the breezes but perhaps it was imagination.

Everyone was pleasant. We were asked at the outset why we were there. I made it quite clear that other than walking I had never been especially active. I just woke up one day last week and felt it had to be done. Cue some laughter. It is harder work than I thought it would be. Quite physical over four hours and the second four hours will be tomorrow. After that, there may be nothing more at all. The old romantic in me knew the best bit. While in the two person canoe, the sun fell on to the lake and surrounding trees and made it almost into "On Golden Pond". When I'm not "audio", I'm visual. I feel that I have missed out by not being more on the go but I'm also glad to have had appreciation for nature and, of course, art.

Signed - your roving correspondent!
    Last edited by Lat-Literal; 01-07-17, 23:42.

Comment

That's a very lovely post Lat-Lit. Unfortunately walking for me, that kind of activity I can't do at the moment. Who knows, in the future!

I think it maybe a good day today!
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
        Signed - your roving correspondent!
        Do you not mean your rowing correspondent?

Hope today is just as enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

I thought someone would get their oar in!

About as perfect as it gets today - every detail clear on the Heath through binoculars, deep blue sky by Walter Wall. Will be nice for my Croydon bike ride this afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
            That's a very lovely post Lat-Lit.

Unfortunately walking for me, that kind of activity I can't do at the moment. Who knows, in the future!
            You bet"! This time next year you'll back on the Skateboard showing off your kickflips with the best of 'em.

Weather exactly as I like it here in this bit of the Pennines - dry, sunny and warm without being oppressively hot. (A good day in other ways, too - just got back from a morning's lecture/recital on Performing Indeterminacy down at the University of Leeds: I feel so much more vigorous as a result - last week's perpetual drizzle had depressed me more than I'd realized.)
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

<< dry, sunny and warm without being oppressively hot >>

.....here?..........all except the last adj.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

You bet"! This time next year you'll back on the Skateboard showing off your kickflips with the best of 'em.

Weather exactly as I like it here in this bit of the Pennines - dry, sunny and warm without being oppressively hot. (A good day in other ways, too - just got back from a morning's lecture/recital on Performing Indeterminacy down at the University of Leeds: I feel so much more vigorous as a result - last week's perpetual drizzle had depressed me more than I'd realized.)
                Was that "performing Indeterminacy", or "performing Indeterminacy" ferney??

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  Was that "performing Indeterminacy", or "performing Indeterminacy" ferney??
                  I think the choice of title was deliberately ambivalent - but the emphasis was on how performers prepare and present works in which they are given varying degrees of autonomy, and - as a consequence - the differing ways in which listeners can receive such performances. (A recital-talk by Michael Parsons included this morning - how he as a performer responds to one of his own works years after he has "completed" it. Greatly stimulating talk - as demonstrated by the lively and positive discussion that followed.)
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

That sounds excellent Ferney, glad you got so much out of it.

Bloomin' hot here. Mid 20's, " Britain sizz les in the 70s " kind of weather.
                    Gardening done for the day. Mozart, ( Abbado) , cup of tea and a nice walk, I think.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

That's a very lovely post Lat-Lit. Unfortunately walking for me, that kind of activity I can't do at the moment. Who knows, in the future!

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      You bet"! This time next year you'll back on the Skateboard showing off your kickflips with the best of 'em. )
                      Thank you very much. Eight hours done so I can get a British Canoeing certificate for successful completion of the introductory course. Got a bit hair raising with training in deliberate capsizing from a kayak and I'm totally exhausted but the weather today was even better. We were in the canoes at the end again which was harder on the shoulders but more stable.

I won't mislead. The other folk got much better and I only got slightly better and by mid-afternoon the coordination was pretty awful, partially due to age. But we crossed the lake of a mile twice even if they did it much faster than me and we must have covered a fair few miles in all. I am looking back on it all now and thinking "my god" as in somewhat bewildered.

BBM - I do hope you are back to fuller fitness very soon and can enjoy the pastimes you like.
                      Last edited by Lat-Literal; 02-07-17, 23:55.

Comment

Hi Lat Lit, unfortunately not. They have found something lurking, which is another type of myolema! The illness has compressed the T7 disc of my spine which has made me 2" shorter! Also now have two cateracts, instead of one which the optician said I'm not allowed to drive. Been referred tohave these done. Also going to have surgery on my back, and referred to orthopaedic surgeon for my right shoulder. apart from that, just plodding along! Onwards & upwards I always say!
                        Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Hi Lat Lit, unfortunately not. They have found something lurking, which is another type of myolema! The illness has compressed the T7 disc of my spine which has made me 2" shorter! Also now have two cateracts, instead of one which the optician said I'm not allowed to drive. Been referred tohave these done. Also going to have surgery on my back, and referred to orthopaedic surgeon for my right shoulder. apart from that, just plodding along! Onwards & upwards I always say!
                          I am so sorry to hear that BBM.

I still think it is only a matter of time before they locate my problems because for all that I have written they are very much ongoing. Currently they are tackling what they perceive to be "standard" acid reflux into the throat which is burning it especially at night but I expect it will ultimately be a CT scan on sinus areas and salivary glands. Subconsciously one thing that may have drawn me to water was the difference in humidity there but it would no doubt need more than a couple of afternoons. On the plus side, I am told by many who have had them that the cataract operations while a little worrying are routine. If those enable you to drive again then that will be a wonderfully positive moment for you. In parallel, I hope the more serious worries you have are successfully addressed. I very much admire your attitude towards it and know that I wouldn't be as capable in that regard as you. My best regards.

Comment

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                            I am so sorry to hear that BBM.

I still think it is only a matter of time before they locate my problems because for all that I have written they are very much ongoing. Currently they are tackling what they perceive to be "standard" acid reflux into the throat which is burning it especially at night but I expect it will ultimately be a CT scan on sinus areas and salivary glands. Subconsciously one thing that may have drawn me to water was the difference in humidity there but it would no doubt need more than a couple of afternoons. On the plus side, I am told by many who have had them that the cataract operations while a little worrying are routine. If those enable you to drive again then that will be a wonderfully positive moment for you. In parallel, I hope the more serious worries you have are successfully addressed. I very much admire your attitude towards it and know that I wouldn't be as capable in that regard as you. My best regards.
                            Most kind, Lat-Lit. Well if a person does adopt a certain kind of attitude, it certainly does help with the process that person is going through. It all helps, my friend! Cheers! Et Dienceps sursum!
                            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Most kind, Lat-Lit. Well if a person does adopt a certain kind of attitude, it certainly does help with the process that person is going through. It all helps, my friend! Cheers! Et Dienceps sursum!
                              Exactly.

Comment

Looks like a lovely day today!
                                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X