Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    Many thanks - I took the brolly; sadly, although it kept my "top half" dry, it was helpless against the constant traffic splash that drenched me from the waist down. I shall use a taxi to go to collect the car when it's been done.
    You need to find a garage that offers free collection and drop-off, ferney!

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
      You need to find a garage that offers free collection and drop-off, ferney!
      Well - except that I suspect that that "free" extra will not match the cheaper cost of my friendly "local" (just over a mile away) garage I also usually appreciate the extra exercise walking from garage to home and back - but (I've just heard - it's passed the test and is ready ) I'm getting a Taxi to go and collect it: the rain's got heavier than this morning.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Well - except that I suspect that that "free" extra will not match the cheaper cost of my friendly "local" (just over a mile away) garage I also usually appreciate the extra exercise walking from garage to home and back - but (I've just heard - it's passed the test and is ready ) I'm getting a Taxi to go and collect it: the rain's got heavier than this morning.
        You may well be right. Once our car is out of its guarantee period we will probably choose to 'go local' rather than to the official agent.

Comment

Many thanks - I took the brolly; sadly, although it kept my "top half" dry, it was helpless against the constant traffic splash that drenched me from the waist down. I shall use a taxi to go to collect the car when it's been done.
          I know what that's like from cycling! - I sometimes think drivers deliberately speed up through large puddles, forgetting they are pedestrians at other times. It might be called contrived experiential divide-and-rule!

(Good news about your MOT though! I used to be on tenterhooks waiting for that phone call to come anc collect, and learning what the damages were to be!)

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
            Are you sure you are not really the reincarnation of Eric Blair aka George Orwell? Your story-telling prowess ('reportage' if you like) has me in thrall. Not to mention your bravery in willingly engaging with a troupe (not sure that that is quite the right word) of mummers - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mummers_play. Well done that man!
            Thank you so kindly - but I really don't deserve it. It's taken me several days to find the bravery to read it. This was them last year in an earlier part of the tour. The Golden Lion, I suspect, about which I enquired. It was always too concrete looking ever to contemplate. No, they said. it wasn't their favourite venue. The landlady asks "have you been in here before, if not you are barred". As always, YT doesn't convey what occurs at its best. There is one point where a racist yob shouts out something I don't like. But mostly I think it is anarchic fun.

(actually on reflection it is the King and Queen car park - great pub, the best on the hill, but could do with a proper garden - I'm hoping to go to their open air Shakespeare next month)

Comment

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
              Thank you so kindly - but I really don't deserve it. It's taken me several days to find the bravery to read it. This was them last year in an earlier part of the tour. The Golden Lion, I suspect, about which I enquired. It was always too concrete looking ever to contemplate. No, they said. it wasn't their favourite venue. The landlady asks "have you been in here before, if not you are barred". As always, YT doesn't convey what occurs at its best. There is one point where a racist yob shouts out something I don't like. But mostly I think it is anarchic fun.

(actually on reflection it is the King and Queen car park - great pub, the best on the hill, but could do with a proper garden - I'm hoping to go to their open air Shakespeare next month)

I played Papageno in a school production in a costume like those, but made up of feathers.

Comment

Genuinely cold, like early March cold, oop 'ere this p.m.

What on earth is the weather doing?

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post

Gawd knows. Even for the ironic version of flaming June this is a bit much. I have been looking at my woodburner this evening and wondering if I've got enough logs to get it going for a few hours! There weren't enough indoors and going outside to rummage around under the tarpaulin over the current makeshift logstore didn't appeal so it didn't happen. Extra cardigan and thicker socks instead.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post

Staggering contrast with last week. The temperature gauge at Derby railway station read 13 degrees at 17.30 but the wind made it feel less than that. At precisely the same time last Wednesday it said 33 degrees. It does indeed feel like early March and I wonder if we've gone rom the hottest June day to the coldest in 7 days? It was back to the Berghaus today.

Coldest June day on record anyone?
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

I played Papageno in a school production in a costume like those, but made up of feathers.
                      Excellent!

Hull.

There are more memorable names but it is the City of Culture.

And following a personal intervention by the Director-General it has been added this year to the BBC weather map.

Not a lot of people know that!

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                        Coldest June day on record anyone?
                        According to this:

... Santon Downham in Norfolk reached MINUS 5.6 on both 1st and 3rd June, 1962! (Matched in 1965 in Dalwhinnie in the Highlands. Bet they needed their fine whisky then!) I presume that these are night-time temperatures?
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

According to this:

... Santon Downham in Norfolk reached MINUS 5.6 on both 1st and 3rd June, 1962! (Matched in 1965 in Dalwhinnie in the Highlands. Bet they needed their fine whisky then!) I presume that these are night-time temperatures?
                          I do remember snow falling and settling here on June 3 one year in the early 1960s and it could well have been 1962. It was two days before my 8th birthday so that fits in with my memory.
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

According to this:

From memory, yes, but I was minus six months old so had a bit of extra protection at the time.

Not quite so when going home from hospital on Boxing Day 1962 or for the four months afterwards during which time the snow was so thick my mother barely saw a health adviser.

Comment

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                              From memory, yes, but I was minus six months old so had a bit of extra protection at the time.

Not quite so when going home from hospital on Boxing Day 1962 or for the four months afterwards during which time the snow was so thick my mother barely saw a health adviser.
                              Must have been a white man.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                Must have been a white man.
                                Or a very short person of different gender or colour.
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X