Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenilex
    • Nov 2010

Not a rhetorical question, just middle of the night musings, I fear.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Midday today: high NW winds, sleet, nasty, odd bits of sun, COLD.
      And has deteriorated markedly as p.m. wears on.
      Last edited by DracoM; 31-01-18, 17:11.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

This looks like the beginning of a cold first half to February. Daffodils on hold for now.

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

I'm sulking.*
          You may have a bloomin' super moon, but we've got eerily irradiated cloud, sheets of sleet and rain and, boy, is it cold!
          Moon is somewhere up there, but.....nowt to see 'ere.

* Yes, I know what you're thinking.......I always am

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
            I'm sulking.*
            You may have a bloomin' super moon, but we've got eerily irradiated cloud, sheets of sleet and rain and, boy, is it cold!
            Moon is somewhere up there, but.....nowt to see 'ere.

* Yes, I know what you're thinking.......I always am
            Sorry you can't see it for the murk; I like the 'eerily irradiated' description. I'm not sure about the 'super blue blood moon' as it's described rather oddly on the beeb's weather site, and I hope girls and boys won't be coming out to play, but certainly "the moon doth shine as bright as day" sums it up pretty well at the moment.

Comment

• greenilex
              • Nov 2010

That is the point about boys and girls in moonlight...they do not wait for permission from “us”.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Saw the moon last night. Not bad at all. Although not for long , as it was rather cold!
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

I’m surprised not much talk here of the moon yesterday.
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                    I’m surprised not much talk here of the moon yesterday.
                    I couldn't see the darn thing on Wednesday night when it was supposed to have been at its most spectacular - I watched the BBC2 documentary, instead. The skies were clearer last night and there was indeed a full moon, but no more (or less) impressive than any other.
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• jean
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

We saw it on Wednesday - it was good, but didn't seem much bigger than usual. But perhaps the sky was brighter.

It was definitely made of green cheese (or blue cheese, as we less accurately say these days).

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

The new weather page is now online since midday today, and to be quite frank, it's little improved on the previous model, and is in some ways worse. For starters, the national picture with map no longer shows highs, lows, fronts and isobars, so one has no way of being able to use one's knowledge in relation to an emerging picture, for instance figuring out if the approaching system is a warm front, meaning greater likelihood of steady light-moderate rain as opposed to short-lived, quite possibly heavy and thundery on a cold front; or how strong winds are likely to be, from the location and speed of direction of fronts, position of highs and lows, and pressure gradient, assessable by the isobars, which have always been shown in the past, and their distance apart. Secondly the signs for rainy precipitation and mist or fog are identical, and thus no one can tell which it is going to be. Finally, there is no "going back" to scroll through the preceding 12 hours, so one can work out temperatures, and incidence (and intensity) of rainfall overnight, in order to record how cold it got in one's area and when precisely it was that one was woken up by that rain and those strong winds: this is important if you're a diarist without proper accurate means of detailing these things (I don't for instance have a Stevensons Screen containing measuring equipment, my max-min thermometer just sits outside here on my north-facing wall). Hitherto one could back-track with the slider under the map to check locally and nationally for these things - and internationally too; this service is no longer available.

The last time the BBC upgraded its weather presentation model marked a deterioration in the service - one in which, despite claims by presenters that we would "get used to these changes in time" - it was never in fact possible to acclimatise to, for instance, Scotland being depicted as a tiny appendage tacked onto the rest of the UK, nor to the weird anticlockwise way the map would frequently be revolved to pick up on the regions, starting in the SE then whizzing vertiginously up the east coast before hovering like a combustion piston on TDC over the diminished Scotland and N Ireland before abseiling naseously down the west coast through S Wales to end up in Cornwall, by which time one had forgotten what was predicted for ones own region; or for that matter spending half of the forecast on the position at 8 am.

This all adds up to poor weather coverage and forecasting by the BBC which used to be so good at these things before the robots took over. There used to be region-by-region forecast at 5 minutes to the hour at 7 and 8 o'clock every morning, offered in predictable order: type of weather, winds and temperature ranges; now you're lucky to get anything more than a meaninglessly generalised summary from Humphrys or one of his minions, before, during or after the main on-the-hour news. As for telly, things were better back in the days when Mike Fish predicted non-existent hurricanes, and planted poorly magnetized symbols on a board and moved them around.

Not happy at all.
                        Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 06-02-18, 18:22.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Actually had some snow in West Cornwall - not a lot but an icing sugar/dandruff -like coating! Sleety rain this afternoon however!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Quite a lot of snow around here today - too warm to stick to the roads, but coated the local trees and gardens rather picturesquely.
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• DracoM
                              Host
                              • Mar 2007

But if this lot freezes overnight - as is scheduled - life is going to be ...........erm, tricky tomorrow,..... wouldn't you say?

And if you#re looking for forecast sites, try https://www.yr.no/
                              You can re-schedule it to your location.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                                But if this lot freezes overnight - as is scheduled - life is going to be ...........erm, tricky tomorrow,..... wouldn't you say?

And if you#re looking for forecast sites, try https://www.yr.no/
                                You can re-schedule it to your location.
                                Thanks Draco I may find an even better one!

Comment

Working...
                                X