Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had thought there was a defintion for torrential rain based on restricted visibility. That would appear only to apply to heavy snowfall, with less than 200 metres visibility constituting heavy snow. Anyway, it was pretty close to torrential just now as the main core of this particular storm passed over, with some nice loud overhead thunder and vivid lightning - screams of delight from some children standing at the bus shelter located just beyond our boundary. Someone on UKweatherworld has reported a possible sighting of a funnel cloud, ie an incompletely descended tornado, in this lot. The main lightning area is now about 5 miles to the east, which gives an indication of how wide and fast-moving the storm system is. The whole line squall is aligned SW/NE, with the leading edge as far away at Colchester; another cluster of intense frequent lightning is developing arouind Oxford, and a third just east of Cardiff, which suggests three covergence lines demarcating the sultry south westerlies to the south from the northerlies to the north undercutting them, which will bring down the colder air this evening. I wouldn't be surprised were there to be another storm here before the change comes later this evening.

Comment

Think SE may be getting it more spectacularly than us up here.
      NE wind still COLD, and rousting through, but no thunder or lightning at all.
      Yet.
      And about an hour ago, even - shock horror - scuffy blue sky and a bit of sun!

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
        Think SE may be getting it more spectacularly than us up here.
        NE wind still COLD, and rousting through, but no thunder or lightning at all.
        Yet.
        And about an hour ago, even - shock horror - scuffy blue sky and a bit of sun!
        There are now no atmospherics north of the line now running ENE from Cardiff to Lowestoft; once those northerlies/northeasterlies are established you're in the clear. The second line of storms has already reached Harrow, which is pretty quick!

Edit: Round 2 now arriving in NW London. This lot doesn't seem quite as vigorous as the last, but the rainfall total is still going to be pretty high for today.
        Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 01-10-19, 17:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Really intense thunderstorm advancing from the NW as I write - rain (and probably hail) curtain similaphaphaar to those observed in more tropical climes, frequent forked lightning, cloud to ground, and really loud booms of thunder from as far as 6 miles away. I think this is going to be one to remember! I've been watching this as it's been moving down in line formation from the midlands. It's just reached Clapham.
          Thunder Clapham?

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
            Thunder Clapham?

This second storm seems to have ground to a halt slightly to the west of here, so, judging by the fact that the main body of cloud is now moving slowly down from the north, and the surface wind has dropped out completely, it's probably spread out to form a self-sustaining MCS, right on the boundary between the two airmasses - which also probably means less in the way of lightning, but prolonged heavy rain continuing well into the evening. Thank goodness I had no plans to go out tonight!

Some really intense storms have now broken out over southern France, in a line from Barcelona north eastwards to Geneva.

Comment

The dreaded F-word has appeared on the forecast for tomorrow night, so I think another pick over of the toms is called for and a shifting of a couple of potted plants. Too early for these parts, but can't be helped.

Comment

Yes, and here, it has completely cleared of cloud and rain, I can see stars, a low crescent moon to the west, and my gardener's guess is that indeed we are in for frost.

Comment

Been horrible round here last 48 hours. Downpours, wind etc.
                  Three hour drive home tonight in the pouring rain , wind and dark tonight. Still, I got to hear tonights R3 mixtape and the first half of the evening concert.

Which was nice......
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Looks like we going to get a respite from this wet weather, for a couple of days. Thank goodness. I think it will be back in a couple of days.
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Absolutely peerless autumn morning - warm, almost cloudless, gentle breeze, see for miles. Phew!

Comment

Brilliant sunshine, welcome after the rain, but a very brisk NW wind didn't encourage standing around, or working in the shade, in the garden this morning, although a couple of lucky team members work in courtyards and so were protected.

Comment

Down hereabouts we had the same! A lovely day. A bit too fresh fir my liking first thing, but better later on. Today doesn’t look too bad either.
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Altostratus cloud from ex-Lorenzo's approaching warm front, expected to deliver its rain tonight and tomorrow morning. If the term hadn't been invented for another purpose, I'd call it a spread sheet. Sunday looks to be another very wet day for most parts, with the rain hanging around here in the SE until late, thereby once again ruling out my daily walk or cycle trip, as well as use of the clothes line.

It looks like this autumn is determined to make up for the dry year it's been up to this point, though the local news just announced that rivers in the SE remain well below their usual levels.

Comment

The thermometer was showing all of 2 degrees this morning, but no obvious sign of frost to be seen. Looking back at the overnight recordings I see that the sudden dip to really cold occurred in the two hours just before dawn so perhaps that's why. I suspect my tomatoes will show the characteristic purple tinge to their leaves in response before too long.

Comment

Yup, same here, and with a sniping little breeze too. But now, ominously still after that, as if everyone is awaiting Lorenzo.

Comment

Working...
                                X