No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... ah, long winters up north, I s'pose

I assumed ferney was feeling a bit down in the month, like...

Comment

It’s not a nice day today, as was yesterday.
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Big wind, NE, a steely edge to it. No rain as yet but threatened.

Comment

My sump pump was in action twice in the cellar before 10.00am.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
            BUT the autumn colours standing out even more brilliantly.
            I'm amazed you have any foliage left, let alone any of dazzling colour, given the endless cycle of wind and rain you seem to experience!

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
              My sump pump was in action twice in the cellar before 10.00am.

You've been catching some of those heavy showers that have avoided us here, dovers.

Quite pleasant here with a light northerly wind and glimpses of warm sunshine peeping from time to time through lumpy low cumulus. Feels warmer than the 11 C, so I went out and did some delayed dead-heading of the roses, which are still bluming plentifully: I haven't the heart to ask the gardener to prune them back, which should really happen around now or at least before the end of November.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Quite pleasant here with a light northerly wind and glimpses of warm sunshine peeping from time to time through lumpy low cumulus. .

... yes indeed - tho' hardly enough blue sky to make a Dutchman's trousers, as my ma used to say.

Does any one else use the phrase 'enough blue sky to make a Dutchman's trousers'?

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  ... yes indeed - tho' hardly enough blue sky to make a Dutchman's trousers, as my ma used to say.

Does any one else use the phrase 'enough blue sky to make a Dutchman's trousers'?

It was a sailor's trousers to my mum. But she hailed from Middlesbro'

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    It was a sailor's trousers to my mum. But she hailed from Middlesbro'
                    Sailors for us too, in Liverpool.

Comment

Not been too bad at all here. The thick fog cleared quite quickly to a dry very mild morning which was pleasantly and productively spent in the garden. There was a build up of blackness after lunch which did lead to a sharp and very heavy downpour, and the wind going round dropped the temperature noticeably, but the end of the afternoon was OK.

Comment

Clouding up, temp dropping fast.

Comment

Oh dearie me! A snowplough has just passed the house. That’s early, even for the Highlands!
                          Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

I would eagerly (!!) trade these relentlessly grey skies for a clear, northerly-wind, frosty blue and sunshine, even if it means even more layering up to keep warm after dark....

The air could do with freshening up too, with all the late autumn vegetation still pungently dense....

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                              I would eagerly (!!) trade these relentlessly grey skies for a clear, northerly-wind, frosty blue and sunshine, even if it means even more layering up to keep warm after dark....
                              We had a frosty clear sunny morning, but by 1 it had clouded over and then started raining...

Comment

Blimey, there's talk in some quarters of possible snow affecting N Wales and the Lancs/Cheshire areas on Saturday!

It was much colder this morning than recently - gloves needed for my ride down to Sydenham to catch the Overground en route to the Museum of London - my birthday treat to myself. Well worth visiting, although most visitors were attracted to the Roman Occupation zone, to the neglect of the the somewhat confusing Georgian and after epochs. There hardly seemed to be anything on Wren and Hawksmoore, surprisingly - the emphasis being very much on artifacts and finds rather than architectural and town planning developments - along with gruesome details about the Black Death over the speakers to keep the kiddies entertained! That said, while more than the two hours I allowed for the visit was really needed, I felt exhausted by the end of it, and had quite a job finding my way through the streets back to The Bank to catch my return DLR connection.

Meanwhile cloud ahead of the approaching front has thickened up, but the rain has not arrived yet. 8 degrees C max.

Comment

Working...
                                X