Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went out with the rubbish at nine this morning and it was raining at 11 degs C. At noon I popped out again and rushed back in, the temperature having fallen to 9 C. Since when a "clearing shower" of pea-sized hail brought the temperature down to 7 C, although the sun then came out and has stayed out. Amazing to observe the temperature falling so quickly following the passage of a cold front. Now it looks likely to be a pretty windy weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
      After a dark, wet start, the sun is now out and the sky blue.
      Very similar here in this bit of the Pennines - but without a completely blue sky (in fact, at one point, there was bright sunshine and rainfall, which was nice & symphonic of it!) Drivers shielding their eyes from the dazzling sun this afternoon - but a mild 9 degrees; quite pleasant for the first week in December (and a vast improvement on Wednesday).
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Ten minutes on, and it's pelting it down!

Comment

My early morning trip to Manchester for my antibody therapy was windy and extremely wet. I'm back now and the rain has gone now but not the wind which is very gusty.
          Last edited by Stanfordian; 07-12-18, 16:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
            ... my antibody therapy ...
            Hope that that's still going well, Stanf.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              Very similar here in this bit of the Pennines - but without a completely blue sky (in fact, at one point, there was bright sunshine and rainfall, which was nice & symphonic of it!) Drivers shielding their eyes from the dazzling sun this afternoon - but a mild 9 degrees; quite pleasant for the first week in December (and a vast improvement on Wednesday).
              You omitted to mention the rainbow, ferney!

(With the sun at this low an angle there will always be a rainbow if the sun shines in conjunction with rain falling at this time of year).

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                Hope that that's still going well, Stanf.

Comment

(or if you prefer!)

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    You omitted to mention the rainbow, ferney!

(With the sun at this low an angle there will always be a rainbow if the sun shines in conjunction with rain falling at this time of year).
                    Indeed. While I was on my walk, a big grey cloud appeared and it rained for about 10 minutes. My reward was a rainbow.

Comment

On the tops, billows of stinging hail showers on fierce winds this p.m.

Comment

A day of contrasts here as well. The morning it was bucketing down, very blustery and and mild. Not a day I would choose to drive but I had no choice thanks to a hospital appointment; not a pleasant experience, atrocious visibility, large parts of the road covered with water, and getting swamped by oncoming lorries which had not just the usual clouds of spray but also mini bow-waves. I only have a little car and vulnerable wasn't in it! During the hour inside the building the rain stopped and once outside the drop in temperature was very marked - and uncomfortable. However the rapid dispersal of clouds and appearance of blue patches and some sun made for a more positive end to the day. Interesting what a marked change a shift of wind direction can cause, in this case the plummet was due to SSW becoming WNW for an hour or so before settling to W, at which point there was a slight increase before the dropping sun sent it down again.

Comment

Hope it’s going to be a good day today, weather wise. At the moment the sun is shining!
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Comparison between the BBC weather app and the Met Office continues to show the BBC's weather service to be sadly lacking.

Planning this afternoon, I checked for this post-code yesterday evening and again first thing: the BBC were blithely predicting a dry day, even as late as mid-morning today:

Since yesterday the Met Office have firmly predicted a wet afternoon between 2 and 4:

Luckily I planned in accordance with the latter - and it proved (again) to be spot on: a wet couple of hours and I was glad not to be aboard the bicycle...

The BBC should be considering asking for their money back from whoever does their forecasts these days...

"...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Well, www.yr.no predicted EXACTLY what we got here in the North West - utter dreech, invisible fells, billows of rain, dry periods, billows of rain, blustery and none too warm - N/NW/NE winds

Yes, and the street lights came on at 3 p.m.

Comment

Quite a contrasting day yesterday. Started off great but then gradually became overcast and became worse after that! Ah well, it’s winter!

Cali, I’m thinking that too, red BBC Weather v The Met
                                Don’t cry for me
                                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X