Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Some hefty showers every half hour or so here accompanied by a strong wind making it extremely unpleasant if caught in one. Sunny in between those showers but not particularly warm and the sort of weather I'd expect to see in late March or April.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

A pleasant sunny day here in the Duchy. Time for my Summer Forum Break methinks. Be back dreckly!

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        A pleasant sunny day here in the Duchy. Time for my Summer Forum Break methinks. Be back dreckly!
        Hope you have a nice productive time away!

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Talking of 'dreckly', I am SO jealous! A sailing friend of mine (female skipper) is doing a boat delivery...paid job.... from Plymouth dreckly to La Coruña. There's a big high over S. Biscay so she's probably basking as well. God only knows how she's managed all the wretched customs paperwork. I'll quiz her when she gets back.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Just now we had ten minutes of moderate rain, marking the back end of the cold front part of the second occlusion. This was not anticipated by the official forecasters, though they should have noted the marked bend in the isobars as indicative of something more than the "patchy drizzle" we were warned about. This could mark the beginning of yet another protracted dry spell. The sun has now emerged. My windows were gloss painted this morning, which means I have to leave them open on this, the north-facing side of the block, until tomorrow at least. I hope tonight turns out not to be a cold one.

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

Very windy up here and not warm at all, though dry with a little sunshine emerging through the mass of cloud. This is disappointing stuff for late May.

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                Very windy up here and not warm at all, though dry with a little sunshine emerging through the mass of cloud. This is disappointing stuff for late May.
                Similar here. Very cool for gardening duties this morning - we were all back in layers - not helped by increasing quantities of wind (peaked at 38mph at lunchtime) only now beginning to die back somewhat, and lack of any sun in the morning. Fitful sun now with the sky clearing in the west, although there's a stonking black lump of cloud to the east so one of the nearby villages is going to get a dousing I suspect. Yesterday a late shower at about 7 combined with the evening sun being released from cloud gave a glorious complete double rainbow against grey cloud; being so flat hereabouts does gives extra value.
                It's a nuisance about the wind - it's stripping recent rain benefits from ground that's still horribly deficient in moisture, and flowers and foliage from the plants.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                  • Jan 2011

Beautiful day here for a walk. Cleveland Way Robin Hood's Bay to Ravenscar and then back via the cinder track on the old Scarborough to Whitby railway. A perfect day rounded off by 2 pints in the pub at Robin Hood's Bay

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Nothing much today.
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                      Nothing much today.
                      I find spring/summer days like today hard to tolerate. There's thick cloud and getting thicker with the certainty of rain arriving shortly; it's cool to cold and there's a pretty strong wind blowing yet again. Most people walking past the house still have their winter coats on, some with hoods up.

This sort of thing is expected in winter time so easier to tolerate but day after day of this dreariness in spring/summer makes me feel irritable and restless. I've been waiting for nearly three years to get out and about after covid but can find no pleasure in hopping on a train in such dreary weather. The BBC forecast for the next ten days hardly looks any more promising.
                      Last edited by Petrushka; 26-05-22, 11:55.

Comment

• Joseph K
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2017

Here in East Staffordshire it's the strong wind that makes being outside not all that great. It's not too cold... On a walk, I removed my cardigan quite soon.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                          Beautiful day here for a walk. Cleveland Way Robin Hood's Bay to Ravenscar and then back via the cinder track on the old Scarborough to Whitby railway. A perfect day rounded off by 2 pints in the pub at Robin Hood's Bay
                          Do you still have to use ropes, crampons and ice picks to reach Robin Hood's Bay, by the way?

Rather cloudy now with the approaching weak cold front, but quite muggy at 18.5C. Tomorrow I predict a day of flattish cumulus flotillas by lunchtime, more sunshine than shade and lighter winds; Saturday cooler and cloudier - a lot of stratocumulus infill by mid-afternoon with a north-northwest wind getting going; and Sunday really quite cool down the eastern side, with possible showers coming in off the N Sea.

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

Cool start to the day, warming finally at lunchtime, but with strong winds(gusting 30) appearing at the same time. Tomorrow due to be sunny, dry and windy, again slow to warm. There will be watering needed again...

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                              I find spring/summer days like today hard to tolerate. There's thick cloud and getting thicker with the certainty of rain arriving shortly; it's cool to cold and there's a pretty strong wind blowing yet again. Most people walking past the house still have their winter coats on, some with hoods up.

This sort of thing is expected in winter time so easier to tolerate but day after day of this dreariness in spring/summer makes me feel irritable and restless. I've been waiting for nearly three years to get out and about after covid but can find no pleasure in hopping on a train in such dreary weather. The BBC forecast for the next ten days hardly looks any more promising.
                              Agreed. Quite topsy turvy, really. Yet, this morning, seeing people either going to work or doing the school run. Mostly men, dressed in shorts! Kids not dressed properly. I suppose the day will be a good one, though.
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                Do you still have to use ropes, crampons and ice picks to reach Robin Hood's Bay, by the way?

Rather cloudy now with the approaching weak cold front, but quite muggy at 18.5C. Tomorrow I predict a day of flattish cumulus flotillas by lunchtime, more sunshine than shade and lighter winds; Saturday cooler and cloudier - a lot of stratocumulus infill by mid-afternoon with a north-northwest wind getting going; and Sunday really quite cool down the eastern side, with possible showers coming in off the N Sea.
                                I have to pat myself on the back for the fact that my forecast for today has turned out exactly as I predicted for this neck of the woods. Tomorrow and Sunday being two of those will it/won't it kind of days I'm not betting my hedges. Eye test Sunday (2.30pm Specsavers, Brixton) - maybe I'll find out if there are any concerns over my visual field impairments. "You'll get a reduction as you're well over 60" the booking lady said; "You'd never know though, would you!" I said.

Comment

Working...
                                X