Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snowing heavily here this morning and settling. The slate grey colour of the sky would seem to indicate that there's plenty more to come. Doubt if there will be a daily walk today!

Rarely have I wanted a winter to go as much as this one.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

....gentle sleet here nr skipton....
      bong ching

Comment

Definitely settling here in Huddersfield and yes, that sky looks like it's here for quite a while...

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          Snowing heavily here this morning and settling. The slate grey colour of the sky would seem to indicate that there's plenty more to come. Doubt if there will be a daily walk today!

Rarely have I wanted a winter to go as much as this one.
          Agreed.

Snowed here all night and most the morning, and settled. By the time I went out for my (effortful) walk however it was half-way turned into rain. Grotty weather, and it looks like rain every day for the next 10 days, with the chance of more snow.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
            Agreed.

Snowed here all night and most the morning, and settled. By the time I went out for my (effortful) walk however it was There again, the rain is much needed.half-way turned into rain. Grotty weather, and it looks like rain every day for the next 10 days, with the chance of more snow.
            There again, the rain is much needed.

Comment

Sleet just started up here driven by a searchingly vicious NE wind, temp -2C and dropping.
              Last edited by DracoM; 09-03-23, 14:05.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                Sleet just started up here driven by a searchingly vicious NE wind - temp -2C
                A relatively balmy 9° C, here. Quite drab, however.

Comment

Enough snow fell here late last night to make for a reasonable covering - I hadn't realised that it had happened until I went to close the curtains. It disappeared this morning fairly quickly under attack from various versions of slushy rain which continued until lunchtime, changed for a while to proper snowflakes which didn't settle, and for now has stopped altogether. Both the map and the forecast indicate that is only temporary, and in any case the wind continues its bitter onslaught, exacerbating temperatures that are only just above zero. I decided against going out - just going down to the bottom of my very long garden to put bits in the compost bin was quite enough fresh air thankyou! The extra gardening I did yesterday will have to cover exercise for today.
                  Tomorrow is more yuk, with the added joy of strong winds.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                    Enough snow fell here late last night to make for a reasonable covering - I hadn't realised that it had happened until I went to close the curtains. It disappeared this morning fairly quickly under attack from various versions of slushy rain which continued until lunchtime, changed for a while to proper snowflakes which didn't settle, and for now has stopped altogether. Both the map and the forecast indicate that is only temporary, and in any case the wind continues its bitter onslaught, exacerbating temperatures that are only just above zero. I decided against going out - just going down to the bottom of my very long garden to put bits in the compost bin was quite enough fresh air thankyou! The extra gardening I did yesterday will have to cover exercise for today.
                    Tomorrow is more yuk, with the added joy of strong winds.
                    Amazing what difference a warm front (or in this case warm occlusion) can make over 100 miles! Here the temperature had already reached 6 C at 6 am this morning, and the milder air traversing still cold surfaces brought advection fog with it. It is now nearly 9 C, with a lightening sky, rising cloud base and light to moderate sou-westerly. Tomorrow looks likely to be very wet indeed with the parent low set to cross London during the day, followed by winds swinging around to a colder (though now snowy this far south) nor-westerly - to be followed everywhere by a frosty night (very frosty in Scotland and the North) and more rain from the SW on Saturday. I'd better get my weekend shopping done this afternoon! Next week we could be in for a couple of strong blows.

Comment

Snow just stopped here for the first time in 2 days. Some sign of a rise in temperature, it might have turned to sleet just before the end. The back-road I'm on is probably passable with car but I really need a quick thaw as I have concert tickets for tomorrow night in Shrewsbury (Carducci 4tet lecture-recital on DSCH) and a William Byrd concert in Whittington on Saturday, in aid of May's Whittington Festival, nearly driven under by withdrawal of Arts Council funding - all part of the Great Levelling Up Agenda of course
                      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                        Snow just stopped here for the first time in 2 days. Some sign of a rise in temperature, it might have turned to sleet just before the end. The back-road I'm on is probably passable with car but I really need a quick thaw as I have concert tickets for tomorrow night in Shrewsbury (Carducci 4tet lecture-recital on DSCH) and a William Byrd concert in Whittington on Saturday, in aid of May's Whittington Festival, nearly driven under by withdrawal of Arts Council funding - all part of the Great Levelling Up Agenda of course
                        Indeed, MLP. Best of luck with all your travelling arrangements!

Comment

Wettish snow, blizzard here now. Snow being hard-driven horizontal in NE wind.

Comment

Lots of rain through the night which turned into snow in the early morning, which stopped at around 10. Now the sun is out and most the snow has melted.

Comment

Rather an active day weatherwise. Rain during the latter part of the night turned to sleet between 8am and 9am which got thicker and more snow like as the morning went on. The strong wind meant that it was spending much of the time being well off vertical, so the snow was settling (or rather being stuck) on upright surfaces rather than the ground. I was attending a pre-season staff session this morning which included an outside walk-round of part of the site towards midday when the snow showers were at their thickest. The treetrunks and fence-posts looked startling - as if someone had been heavy handed with the white pastel highlights against a mostly grey scene - where the snow had been stuck on one side by the wind. Appreciation of the artistic effect, and concentration on the stops for information, were somewhat limited though by the fact that it was very cold and keeping one's back to the wind was a necessity. Hoods and hats limit sound and sight as well.
                              During lunch it cleared up and there has been a lot of blue sky and sunshine since. Due to be very cold tonight, not least because of the loss of cloud cover.

Comment

Yesterday someone on UKWW posted a link on LBC News documenting a phenomenon I had not previously seen depicted photographically, let alone in film footage: a snow tornado! This took place the day before yesterday over Shetland. Suggestions that it might have been the snow equivalent of a dust devil can swiftly be discounted on two counts: 1) dust devils only occur in hot dry conditions, which obviously this was not; and 2) It can clearly be seen that the wind column connects with a cloud base of the cumulonimbus type, into which snow from the ground is being convected. This could turn out to be an historic event on record.

A rare 'snow tornado' was filmed passing through a field in Scotland, as Britain continued to feel the effects of the unseasonably cold spell.

Comment

Working...
                                X