Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
    If the ERG get their way it will be expressed in rods, poles or perches!
    floz, gills, pints for liquids.

Comment

From observing Lightningmaps today, convection would appear to be much more random today in the absence of such forcing mechanisms as weakening frontal systems providing convenient convergence zones, as happened yesterday. Storms therefore more likely to pop up as and when, with any forcing provided by mountains and escarpments, and favoured places being heat islands such as Birmingham (as right now) and London. Such storms do however eventually tend to suck in winds in their wake, this being one reason why the colder originating air slicing its way in and traversing areas already warmed by insolation can aid in organising shower development into advancing lines during the afternoon as an unstable air mass crosses a land mass. Pleasantly warm here with light winds in any sunny intervals right now, following a short moderate shower.

Next week we could well be in for a cold unstable northerly airstream.

Comment

If the ERG get their way it will be expressed in rods, poles or perches!
        Well it certainly came down in stair rods (along with some hail) just now, putting paid to all the good work done by hanging the washing out earlier!

Comment

Well it certainly came down in stair rods
          In strings maybe? il pleut des cordes

around Exeter,
          The flooding must have been very localised. We live withing 25 miles of Exeter, and on the local news there were pictures of inundated villages (eg near the River Otter).
          All we got was some distant thunder and a bit of drizzle.

Comment

Lightning over Brixton, with further back building, indicated by an impenetrable dark grey curtain wall of torrential rain, approaching from the west. The lightning extends all the way west to Heathrow Airport.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              From observing Lightningmaps today, convection would appear to be much more random today in the absence of such forcing mechanisms as weakening frontal systems providing convenient convergence zones, as happened yesterday. Storms therefore more likely to pop up as and when, with any forcing provided by mountains and escarpments, and favoured places being heat islands such as Birmingham (as right now) and London. Such storms do however eventually tend to suck in winds in their wake, this being one reason why the colder originating air slicing its way in and traversing areas already warmed by insolation can aid in organising shower development into advancing lines during the afternoon as an unstable air mass crosses a land mass. Pleasantly warm here with light winds in any sunny intervals right now, following a short moderate shower.

Next week we could well be in for a cold unstable northerly airstream.
              Aren't you the little ray of sunshine! Mind you I'm not surprised, we always have to pay for the nice bits. Also, I was thinking about putting some of the tomatoes out under the protection of a little op-up growhouse when I've done the next lot of potting on. I will be out of windowsill space and in any case like to start hardening them up a bit ready to go out in about 3 weeks, since they all have to be grown outside. That plan usually provokes adverse weather at some stage.

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                In strings maybe? il pleut des cordes
                In Italian, the expression is in catene, in chains, another ERG preference, no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                  floz, gills, pints for liquids.
                  Yes, but rainfall is measured by depth after collection through a funnel of standard cross sectional area, if I'm not mistaken

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...een%20detected.

Comment

Yes, but rainfall is measured by depth after collection through a funnel of standard cross sectional area, if I'm not mistaken

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...een%20detected.
                    Yes,I know, but I was linking my original observation about a mistake(ml instead of mm, higorant PA input into an article) and your reference to ERG's preference for outdated imperial measures of length. I should have been more specific!
                    Meanwhile, forecast for today doesn't look particularly promising so far, being for various sorts of rain. So far the incoming looks to be patchy though so there might be reasonable gaps, but possibly a bit chilly due to wind direction. I am resigned to coolth for a while as I did my major clothing changeover on Tuesday, packing away thick woolies and winter coats and the like, and that is often the cue for temperature to drop!
                    Last edited by oddoneout; 11-05-23, 07:17.

Comment

Yes,I know, but I was linking my original observation about a mistake(ml instead of mm, higorant PA input into an article) and your reference to ERG's preference for outdated imperial measures of length. I should have been more specific!
                      Meanwhile, forecast for today doesn't look particularly promising so far, being for various sorts of rain. So far the incoming looks to be patchy though so there might be reasonable gaps, but possibly a bit chilly due to wind direction. I am resigned to coolth for a while as I did my major clothing changeover on Tuesday, packing away thick woolies and winter coats and the like, and that is often the cue for temperature to drop!
                      It would be madness to pack away the winter coat and woolies here just yet! So far this year there have been just two days when I've not worn my winter coat: Good Friday and last Sunday. I cannot remember a worse spring than this, not just cold but a serious lack of sunshine as well. What we have now is something that feels much more to me like early to mid March. The heating in my home has been completely off on just one day so far and that was last Sunday while outside there is very little feeling of any warmth at all in the air.

It's all very dispiriting.
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Sorry...

...lrony detector failure!

Comment

Sunny -ish but only 11C but some chaps round here not deterred from going around in shorts and short shirt sleeves.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                            Sunny -ish but only 11C but some chaps round here not deterred from going around in shorts and short shirt sleeves.
                            First thunder of the day around lunchtime, from a storm over central London I'd been watching developing for the previous two hours. This will be the last thundery day for a while now.

Comment

Thunderstorms with Hail overtures playing this afternoon. The most intense rain for several years with flooded roads aplenty.

Comment

Absolutely massive downpours here in the East Riding this afternoon and the odd rumble of thunder. Pretty much a repeat of yesterday however yesterday, the thunderstorm went on for far longer! No sign of any funnel clouds or anything interesting though.
                                Best regards,
                                Jonathan

Comment

Working...
                                X