X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Sun - yes - but a wild, piercing easterly.

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
      Sun - yes - but a wild, piercing easterly.
      Yes the "brisk" easterly is rather knocking the shine off the sun here when outside. Sitting in my bay window now the sun has moved round to that side of the house is very pleasant through... I shall be repairing there shortly to let my creaky joints soak up the warmth.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

I must check to see if today has turned out to be the warmest here in 2023 thus far, reaching 18C. It certainly felt like it, with light winds (unlike further north) and a sense of being close to overheating personally as I made my way back home carrying two carrier bagfuls of groceries from the St Sprees a mile away. The sky has been one of those suggesting elevated thundery activity, with altocumulus clouds bubbling up into a vague whiteout above lower cumulus moving out of sync, and a general haziness, but I don't think the necessary triggers are in place for that to happen. We'll probably get just a few large rain drops as the leading edge of the cold front passes across, and have to wait for surface convection to proceed tomorrow in the cooler air that follows. Saturday looks pretty dismal, as I was just now saying to the rather demure elderly widow who lives a few doors up the street, adding that I hope all those pro-monarchists congregating in the West End streets get a thorough dousing, as it will serve them right. I think she was slightly shocked!

Edit: I see that thunder has just been reported in the vicinity of Chichester.
        Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 04-05-23, 17:28.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          I think she was slightly shocked!.
          I'm not surprised. You may have your opinions on the Coronation but it's a bit mean-spirited to wish ill on other people's enjoyment isn't it? There's too much intolerance about these days - you see it on here quite often, sadly - so let me say that I hope that the weather stays dry and sunny for them and they all have a happy day.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
            I'm not surprised. You may have your opinions on the Coronation but it's a bit mean-spirited to wish ill on other people's enjoyment isn't it? There's too much intolerance about these days - you see it on here quite often, sadly - so let me say that I hope that the weather stays dry and sunny for them and they all have a happy day.
            Indeed, not least as for the thousands of people who will have to be outside as part of their job, among whom will be at least some who are not in agreement with the occasion for whatever reason.

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

The school where I volunteer had planned to have a long outdoor picnic lunch today: I fear that that will be cancelled.
              I'm not usually there on Fridays but have offered to go in to help entertain (control?) the kids indoors if needed.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                Don't worry: the lady in question was not shocked, familiar as she is with my sense of humour. But when it comes to monarchism, pro and anti-intolerance goes equally both ways, undoubtedly!

The first thunder of the day fifiteen minutes ago announced the kind of day we have been led to expect.

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

It has been warm today despite a noticeable breeze, the difference being that the southerly airflow was actually warm this time - as hasn't been the case recently, when both SW and SE have been chilly. I donned a light waterproof for my shopping trip this morning, but ended up taking it off as I became too warm and the risk of rain seemed to have disappeared. A couple of not very significant lightning flashes and thunderclaps at lunchtime and bit of rain, but now mostly sunshine and blue sky. There is some black cloud hanging around on the horizon but neither the forecast nor the weather map suggest much probability of anything resulting, so some gardening might be in order in a little while.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                    It has been warm today despite a noticeable breeze, the difference being that the southerly airflow was actually warm this time - as hasn't been the case recently, when both SW and SE have been chilly. I donned a light waterproof for my shopping trip this morning, but ended up taking it off as I became too warm and the risk of rain seemed to have disappeared. A couple of not very significant lightning flashes and thunderclaps at lunchtime and bit of rain, but now mostly sunshine and blue sky. There is some black cloud hanging around on the horizon but neither the forecast nor the weather map suggest much probability of anything resulting, so some gardening might be in order in a little while.
                    Four huge bangs of thunder were heard here just before midday - the first three were, astonishingly, connected with spherics recorded on radar as far away as Wimbledon, Clapham and Brixton; the fourth, surprisingly, only half a mile north of here, as we'd only experienced a light shower. Just now I was remarking to another cyclist, outside Sainsbury's in East Dulwich, that we'd luckily dodged any storms. "Half past four, that's when it's going to kick off again", he intoned with solemn certainty. Really?" I said, "Yep", he replied, "In this postal district, it said"!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

Rumbles audible in York.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                        Rumbles audible in York.
                        Glad you said that...

...I thought it was the boys practising a salute for CIIIR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                          Glad you said that...

There is not an almost straight zone of heavy thunderstorms running NNW from Cambridge to Ripon - a clearer example of a convergence line would be difficult to find. A few storms have occurred further oop country in the vicinity of Newcastle, probably marking the further northward extension of this line.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                            Glad you said that...

We're going to get four hours of minster bells one day (can't remember which, off hand!) too.

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Looks as if I timed things quite well. After lunch I decided to wander into town to look at the flowers in the church and listen to the town band. It was a bit damp but not proper rain(the band's music will be soggy though - the trees they were under were giving limited cover by that time) and mild. A detour via Morrisons then home and about 15 mins later it started hammering down. The morning was dry and warm so after listening to the pre event music I went out to do some gardening, rather than watch TV.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

It started raining at abut 6 o'clock and has been continuing almost non-stop ever since, only now tapering off into drizzle. Someone has posted elsewhere pointing out the difficulties faced by horse poop removers along the royal route in such conditions!

Hopefully tomorrow will be dry and warmer, as much of the week to come looks either unsettled or cool here and everywhere. I feel it's time for a decent long cycle ride.

Comment

Working...
                                X