Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very unpleasant weather today - already heavy rain having its effect increased by the wind. As the wind is due east that means it's also perishing cold. It's odd to have the rain clattering on the back of the house(which faces due east) and means I'm avoiding opening the back door - the compost caddy will have to wait. It does mean though that the back bedroom window that I can't reach to clean from inside(too wide and only opening at one end) nor a window-cleaner from outside(due to design of kitchen extension) is getting a good wash. During the Beast from the East so much windborne roadsalt and field soil got deposited on that window it looked as if it was frosted glass, and didn't get finally washed off until late autumn.
    I have an appointment midday and choir tonight both of which I'll be walking to, so will get the full benefit... Although there's a chance the rain will have eased off by this evening - I can always hope!

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
      Very unpleasant weather today - already heavy rain having its effect increased by the wind. As the wind is due east that means it's also perishing cold. It's odd to have the rain clattering on the back of the house(which faces due east) and means I'm avoiding opening the back door - the compost caddy will have to wait. It does mean though that the back bedroom window that I can't reach to clean from inside(too wide and only opening at one end) nor a window-cleaner from outside(due to design of kitchen extension) is getting a good wash. During the Beast from the East so much windborne roadsalt and field soil got deposited on that window it looked as if it was frosted glass, and didn't get finally washed off until late autumn.
      I have an appointment midday and choir tonight both of which I'll be walking to, so will get the full benefit... Although there's a chance the rain will have eased off by this evening - I can always hope!
      With the centre of the latest low right over us this weekend with rain belts swinging anticlockwise in its orbit we have to expect more of the wet stuff, I'm afraid. The wet snow and sleet over W Yorks and Lancs should slowly drift north, ending up cross Scotland tomorrow, which will only receive the milder southerly flow in its southern three-quarters.

Comment

Sleet and snow up here in South Cumbria - all being driven horizontal on a vicious NE wind.
        2C temp and dropping now at 2.14 p.m - but was 7C earlier at 8 a.m.

Comment

12.5C here now - that's a rise from 6C in the past two hours! The wind's gone round from south-easterly to south-westerly following the cold front; it will back again in the next two hours ahead of a second occluded front coming in from the SW this evening, promising further rain for tonight. Off now on the bike, taking advantage of a dry interlude to renew my prescription and obtain milk and mushrooms!

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
            Sleet and snow up here in South Cumbria - all being driven horizontal on a vicious NE wind.
            2C temp and dropping now at 2.14 p.m - but was 7C earlier at 8 a.m.
            Snow, schmow...

...made it from York to Sheffield by rail to see staging of the Drop the Dead Donkey programme at the Lyceum. Rain in York on departure. Sheffield snow carnage at 1pm - everything shut down: https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/weath...nsions-4509702

Came out of the ( brilliant ) performance- all melting! On the train back now.
            Last edited by Old Grumpy; 08-02-24, 20:25. Reason: Clarification

Comment

I can't remember ever having taken to the outside for a longish walk in February before without needing to don a light raincoat at the very least, let alone my winter overcoat. Temperature here 17 Celsius currently, and that's on the northern side of our 4-storey block of flats, so somewhere would I imagine be recording 18 C at least, possibly a 19C, which, iirc, would be a UK record maximum for this early in the year. Daffodils are now out everywhere around London, and shrubs and even small trees are bursting into leaf, at least a month early. It's not going to last, naturally, but temps should still be in the region of 5C above mid-February norms for a few more days.

Comment

Yeah, well, lucky you!
                Up here it has been lashing it down all day and it's 5C as I post.
                Milder, saith BBC? Huh! As blooming if!
                Utter. utter filth of an evening - mist thickening to fog, soaked with relentless drizzle.
                Last edited by DracoM; 15-02-24, 23:08.

Comment

Lots of lightning off our shores tonight following today's cold front passage, during which the temperature here fell from 10C to 3C in an hour!

The next few days promise to be showery and slightly on the cold side for the first time in quite a while, not helped by expected strong winds. It should return to "mild" around Thursday.

Comment

Well, temp here as I post is 5C max.

Comment

Well, temp here as I post is 5C max.
                      Just about 9C here, which is probably as high as it gets today, with showers building. I'd better get out on my bike before the weather breaks!

Comment

I decided to risk getting soaked and arrived on my bike at E Dulwich Sainsburys as the first hailstones were falling from an approaching black cloud. The branch was packed; on exiting half an hour later it was evident that there had been a lot of precipitation, so I had to endure a wet saddle on my return journey home. I was surprised to discover that little or no rain had fallen here in S Dulwich. My upstairs neighbour Stacey described having motorbiked through a violent hailstorm, during which the bag attached to her bike had turned into a bowlful of hailstones the size of small marbles.

As I write there has just been a loud bang of thunder - and now torrential rain and hail. Pretty lively stuff for February! Temperature down to 4C.

Comment

Yup, THRASHING it down up here in Cumbria too - despite BBC forecast!

Comment

Day of total filth - low, thick, yellowish fog/cloud, sneaky cold westerly, and more or less non-stop rain.
                            Yuk.

Comment

Day of total filth - low, thick, yellowish fog/cloud, sneaky cold westerly, and more or less non-stop rain.
                              Yuk.
                              It looks like the current helter-skelter chop & change-type weather is going to continue into March, with similar around average temperatures.

Comment

Day of total filth - low, thick, yellowish fog/cloud...
                                ...Yuk.
                                *Sounds more like London or some Northern/Midlands industrial city than Cumbria!

Comment

Working...
                                X