Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nasty NE winds driving thick, vindictive rain. Got into full storm kit for short shopping and in less than 100 meters was totally soaked in freezing hefty rain. We Cumbrians are used to a lot of deep weather, but as soon as any wind goes NE, you know you're truly in for it. .
    Last edited by DracoM; 29-01-24, 16:49.

Comment

11°C, grey skies, but dry and little wind in Winchester.

Comment

DRY?????????????????????????? Lucky you!

Comment

TODAY, Feb 2 / 2024, it is cold, dark, utterly WET filth, driven by SW (apparently from Sahara [Ha!]) winds which the BBC forecasters labelled as 'mild for time of year'

Oh really?

...........well, up here, in the real NW, a land whose name is never mentioned by the national forecasters on BBC, it's a whippy, drizzly. chilly, saturating 3-5C, mate!

nb: for further, future info, 'NW' for the BBC forecasters clearly means that café in Manchester, literally just outside the doors of the BBC studios.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
            TODAY, Feb 2 / 2024, it is cold, dark, utterly WET filth, driven by SW (apparently from Sahara [Ha!]) winds which the BBC forecasters labelled as 'mild for time of year'

Oh really?

...........well, up here, in the real NW, a land whose name is never mentioned by the national forecasters on BBC, it's a whippy, drizzly. chilly, saturating 3-5C, mate!

nb: for further, future info, 'NW' for the BBC forecasters clearly means that café in Manchester, literally just outside the doors of the BBC studios.
            Channel 4's forecasts have acquired a habit of "focussing in" on the NW and completely missing out on both northern Scotland and the entire SE. To all intents and purposes Channel 4 consider that we do not deserve having any weather. Is this all about compensating formerly neglected regions by over-concentrating on "privileged" London and the Home Counties, one wonders? If so they are getting it badly wrong.

Comment

I ranted a bit because where I live is a major tourist area wonderfully beautiful, BUT but also notoriously unpredictable weather-wise, so why disappear it as 'sort of somewhere out of here, turn left, then keep driving - NW is probably - so people say - sort of up there - somewhere.'

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                I ranted a bit because where I live is a major tourist area wonderfully beautiful, BUT but also notoriously unpredictable weather-wise, so why disappear it as 'sort of somewhere out of here, turn left, then keep driving - NW is probably - so people say - sort of up there - somewhere.'
                Oh I appreciate you are in a rather ***singular*** geographical location where you are, Draco!

Anyway, it now looks likely to stay on the mild and breezy side until Feb 10, before which a deep depression is expected to cross the country bringing another set of heavy rain and gales, and afterwards a northerly plunge, pushing the jet stream, presently right across us, way down south towards Iberia. This maritime arctic outbreak is expected to last 3-4 days, following which if all goes according to plan a large high builds up to the south west, the weather dries up and temps return to more-or-less normal for mid-Feb, which is ONE DEGREE higher than they would be right now! How much snow occurs during the cold spell remains to be seen, but it is usually Scotland and N Ireland that get the lion's share, with anything snow-wise further south dependent either on southward-diving fronts in the cold airstream or Atlantic fronts encroaching from the south-west.

Comment

Must have been Spring in Byland...

out in force on the (albeit South-facing) roadside!

Comment

The wind is getting up now - I can tell from the sound from outside. It will continue rising until Tuesday night when gales are predicted preceding a brief switch to colder nor-westerlies already affecting most of the UK, but for us "down here" we have to anticipate being where most of the action is to be next week, with low pressure centres traversing the southern half of the UK, each one depositing large quantities of the wet stuff, and the colder air - with risk of snow - not expected to reach the south until tomorrow week. Yesterday I used Roseclear on our newly budding roses to pre-empt mildew and black spot - a big problem last year - so am keeping fingers crossed for there being no hard frosts to come which will undo my efforts!

Comment

Winds strong, filthy driving drizzle.
                      This has to be one of the truly nastiest winters I can recall in ten+ years.

Comment

Extraordinary weather map this evening - Blue band at the top, red/yellow band in the middle, blue band at the bottom, like some pop art cheeseburger - horizontally across the whole area, descending down the region. I've only ever seen bands travelling at an angle before, and they quite often change shape and size as they do so. This one's been going for a couple of hours and hasn't really changed at all. In terms of the weather itself the wind has dropped significantly and quite suddenly, and the rain has eased off a lot as well.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                          Extraordinary weather map this evening - Blue band at the top, red/yellow band in the middle, blue band at the bottom, like some pop art cheeseburger - horizontally across the whole area, descending down the region. I've only ever seen bands travelling at an angle before, and they quite often change shape and size as they do so. This one's been going for a couple of hours and hasn't really changed at all. In terms of the weather itself the wind has dropped significantly and quite suddenly, and the rain has eased off a lot as well.
                          You would also find your temperature had dropped significantly at the same time. Here the rain band is still slowly making its way through, temperature remaining at 11C fttb after reaching 14C this afternoon, the highest so far this year here, considerably mitigated by the strength of the wind.

PS: the heavy edge part of the cold front is now here, marked as a four-mile wide strip in lime green on the site I use.
                          Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 07-02-24, 00:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

You would also find your temperature had dropped significantly at the same time. Here the rain band is still slowly making its way through, temperature remaining at 11C fttb after reaching 14C this afternoon, the highest so far this year here, considerably mitigated by the strength of the wind.

PS: the heavy edge part of the cold front is now here, marked as a four-mile wide strip in lime green on the site I use.
                            There was indeed a temperature drop-off from 13 at 1700 to 8 at 1800, not surprising given the wind suddenly swung round from SW to NNW! It's now gone to easterly variations, but luckily is only a light breeze so not as much effect as might otherwise be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

There was indeed a temperature drop-off from 13 at 1700 to 8 at 1800, not surprising given the wind suddenly swung round from SW to NNW! It's now gone to easterly variations, but luckily is only a light breeze so not as much effect as might otherwise be the case.
                              In N Wilts we had about 40mm of rain between 4 pm and 1 am yesterday. Temp was 12C. I was very surprised to see 2C when I woke up this morning.

Comment

Wet Wet Wet.

Comment

Working...
                                X