Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was milder today and much less wind, but felt more unpleasant than the previous days as completely overcast and damp - occasional 'almost drizzle' several times. Dank and dispiriting. Unfortunately the next couple of days at least look like more of the same.

Comment

Very cold today - I doubt if it will get much above freezing point - but at least it's sunny, with visibility as good as it's possible to get, as per usual with arctic air streams in winter.

The other qualifiedly good news is that now it seems we are not in for the truly extreme winds that had been predicted for the coming weekend and into next week, which, honestly, had scared the bejeebers out of me.

Comment

How is everyone faring? It's bitterly cold here, and the windchill doesn't help(!), but the threat of snow(not that great in the first place for hereabouts) seems to have retreated - the only mention is 30% risk of dandruff at about 10am - but the map shows it going just to the north of here. In any case being dry it won't cause problems. A bigger problem from my perspective is the patches of ice where puddles or drips have frozen, as the bright sun makes it difficult to see much - even more so when the cold makes the eyes water! I'll need to take my pointed stick if/when I go out, and certainly tonight when I walk down to choir along a narrow, poorly lit and messy pavement which is a nuisance even in good light.

Comment

Iron hard frost on top of yesterday's ditto. Pavements lethal. Most shoppers are finding roadways far safer and easier to navigate than pavements.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
            How is everyone faring?
            We played our regular elderly gentlemen's tennis doubles yesterday afternoon. V chilly - just above zero - with icy breeze but OK once you got moving I had five layers of clothing on top and gloves were worn but it was perfectly playable. Good to get some fresh air and exercise. We had a couple of sets and retreated.

Comment

First light scattering of white precipitation (snow/hail/sleet?) a short while ago but not continue for more than a couple of minutes!

Comment

Up to 1cm of snow this morning, but skies clearing and no more forecast. Council gritters must have been out - main roads clear
                Last edited by Old Grumpy; 18-01-24, 13:08. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Coldest night of the winter so far - and in fact since 22 December 2022: minus 6 Celsius. There's a light feel to air temperatures around freezing, as this afternoon, and down to about minus 7, that makes for a bracing walk for as long as winds remain light. I actually prefer this to the range from + 2 to 6 C which, in this country, is usually accompanied by a cold clamminess that seems to penetrate through no matter how many protective layers one is wearing.

Two more sunny days and cold nights, and from Sunday it's back to square one of rain and strong south-westerlies, though Tuesday's predicted maximum of 15 C would be about as warm as it's possible to get in mid-January.
                  Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 18-01-24, 17:41.

Comment

-8C here as I post. Pavements lethally icy - most pedestrians walking in road for safety's sake!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post

We played our regular elderly gentlemen's tennis doubles yesterday afternoon. V chilly - just above zero - with icy breeze but OK once you got moving I had five layers of clothing on top and gloves were worn but it was perfectly playable. Good to get some fresh air and exercise. We had a couple of sets and retreated.
                      The volunteer gardening on Wednesday morning proved quite pleasant. There was hardly any breeze, so windchill wasn't an issue, and I was working in a sheltered corner in the sun, where the soil wasn't frozen so weeding and gravel path tidying was possible. Didn't get to shedding layers but good not to feel cold. At midday the cloud started to knock back the sun's effect somewhat, and the wind picked up, so no difficulty deciding to call it a day.

Comment

Am I right that the immediate outlook is for it to be either sub-zero cold or lashing rain? Both keep me indoors.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          Am I right that the immediate outlook is for it to be either sub-zero cold or lashing rain? Both keep me indoors.
                          Last of the cold nights expected to be tomorrow, after which a gradual warming takes place, wet with strong gales Sunday and Monday, after which it should quieten down yet still be on the mild side for late Jan.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                            -8C here as I post. Pavements lethally icy - most pedestrians walking in road for safety's sake!!!!
                            I can report that the Serpentine was frozen over at sundown today, save for a channel round the edges for the wildfowl…

Perfectly dry underwheel, though, mercifully.
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Beautiful pics, for which many thanks, Nick. Red sky at night...

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Last of the cold nights expected to be tomorrow, after which a gradual warming takes place, wet with strong gales Sunday and Monday, after which it should quieten down yet still be on the mild side for late Jan.
                                Not liking the forecast for Sunday - winds gusting beyond 50 mph not good! Hope it gets turned down a bit nearer the time, as quite often happens.
                                Today was another very cold day - the breeze was quite strong and despite being from a "warmer" direction it still knocked the base temperature right down - but sun all day did much to offset it, even if seeing where one was going was at times a bit hard. It's days like this that give rise to the "you didn't see me/you walked straight past me" grumbles later on, because people appear just as dark outlines without facial features distinguishable. Extra care is needed crossing roads etc as car drivers often can't see either, and some don't seem to realise they have sun visors. I know those have their limitations - as someone on the short side I find the blocking effect less than satisfactory at times - but it's better than nothing!

Comment

Working...
                                X