Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
    I've just noticed that the overnight temp in my woodstore up against the house just managed to get above 5, and the Met Office recording station shows a minimum of 4. It may not be frosty but at this time of year temps that low are not helpful. My tomatoes, planted out earlier this week, have been struggling with the very chilly N /E variations of wind direction during the day(and not always sun to temper it somewhat) and could do without getting so cold overnight as well! The wind has also caused problems with drying things out, as there's been no rain for some time, so I've been having to do far more watering than would usually be the case.

Even here in London it fell to 6 C last night. I rather think it less likely over the next week as strengthening NE-erlies being increasing amounts of North Sea cloud in, keeping nighttime temps somewhat higher; but it also looks as if it will be staying dry for the duration, with only a "selective" breakdown taking place next weekend. As for today, what more could be asked? The physiotherapist analysed my shoulder problem as Rotator Cuff-related, and went through a few exercises (which I've not forgotten the main details of!) telling me cycling will not pose any further problems. Temperatures today a tad warmer maybe - 15.5 at midday - 60 F in the old money rising to max at 65 C - but less noticable chill than yesterday as humidity picks up once again. I shall take one of my longer walks this afternoon, and tomorrow a long cycle ride across the Thames.

Comment

Temperature maxed at 20C in this part of London today under a milky sky - still not made it to the magic 70F in old money that always signalled the start of summer proper. Back in time for Jazz Record Requests from a 14-mile circular cycle ride through favourite haunts. People everywhere delighting in the breeze-tempered warm sunshine. At the spectacular viewpoint where Deptford Creek empties the tiny Ravensbourne into the massive Thames a huge ocean liner tethered to a tiny tug blocked half the view downriver; as I remarked to a young couple passing by, "That's the first time I've seen a refugee camp".

A slight shock may well be experienced tomorrow, but temperatures are expected to pick up again for the rest of the week.

Comment

It's been much too windy today to do much out of doors. There's not much fun sitting outside reading in the sudden gusts that appear from nowhere and there's a surprising drop in temperature at the same time. It's been no more than 17 degrees today, a couple of degrees or so lower than the past few days and it's been cloudier.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Warm, easterly wind, super Spring day.

Comment

At the spectacular viewpoint where Deptford Creek empties the tiny Ravensbourne into the massive Thames a huge ocean liner tethered to a tiny tug blocked half the view downriver; as I remarked to a young couple passing by, "That's the first time I've seen a refugee camp!
            Not this one was it?

Apparently it was bought in Walmart!

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
              Warm, easterly wind, super Spring day.
              That made me smile. Here, an easterly airflow is never warm, the closest is "not cold", when the sun is at full force, the wind speed minimal, inland in summer. Good to hear you are having a shot at good weather though.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                Not this one was it?

Wouldn't do for it to repeat Ever Given's embarassment would it? Might not cause the same level of disruption to global shipping but it would be more than a little vulnerable being stuck in the centre of London. Quite a few protest groups would find it irresistible I imagine.

Comment

Not this one was it?

No, not that one, but what looked more like a regular world cruising huge block of a monstrosity.

Comment

That made me smile. Here, an easterly airflow is never warm, the closest is "not cold", when the sun is at full force, the wind speed minimal, inland in summer. Good to hear you are having a shot at good weather though.
                    That's because you and most of the east coast get an unmodified blast direct from across the still cold North Sea at this time of year, whereas DracoM, and all those located to the west of high ground experience the warming effect of the same air descending from on high heated up by drying out and compression, a quasi-microclimatological effect known as Föhn in Switzerland, and Chinook in Canada. The higher the ground to the leeward the greater and the more extended the warming effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      That's because you and most of the east coast get an unmodified blast direct from across the still cold North Sea at this time of year, whereas DracoM, and all those located to the west of high ground experience the warming effect of the same air descending from on high heated up by drying out and compression, a quasi-microclimatological effect known as Föhn in Switzerland, and Chinook in Canada. The higher the ground to the leeward the greater and the more extended the warming effect.
                      I know - I think of it as public spiritedness that our shivering over here helps to lessen the suffering on the other side!

Comment

I know - I think of it as public spiritedness that our shivering over here helps to lessen the suffering on the other side!
                        Though we to the East do generally get the better weather overall, I suspect...

...especially in locations where there is a narrow range of high ground between us and the North Sea!

Comment

Even so, I am getting pretty tired of the way in which anticyclones are increasingly setting up home between Scotland and Iceland at all times of the year, along with the growing tendency for north-easterlies to become predominant, occasioned by the warming up of the Arctic. The resulting weakening and meandering jet stream then feeds back, slowing air mass circulation and reinforcing this tendency towards anticyclonic blocking.

Comment

There's a completely blue sky outside with wall to wall sunshine but the temperature, on paper, is reckoned to be around 17 degrees. However, there is a very unpleasant cold wind which is taking several degrees off that. Walking into the wind is very nasty; find a sheltered spot in the sun and you realise how warm it really is.
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Though we to the East do generally get the better weather overall, I suspect...

...especially in locations where there is a narrow range of high ground between us and the North Sea!
                              West of the Howardian Hills would be the one location in Yorkshire I can think of that would benefit - the vale of Thirsk? If the main high pressure players set up in the north Atlantic which they now tend to more of the time, those to the east of high ground will be more subject to late growth seasons, not helped by the odd low that manages to skirt around the top and then down the North Sea, dragging cold air along with it. It all depends too on the shape and alignment of the high in question - one which is SW-NE aligned can allow primary depressions on the southward displaced jet stream to form at the lattitude of the Azores in mid-Atlantic, then track NE or NNE to cross Ireland, deepening all the while, bearing very warm, very moist air of tropical origin along with gales and exceptional advectional and orographic rainfall to Wales, NW England and Scotland, along with titanic summer thunderstorms further east borne on convergence zones where maritime and overheated continental tropical air streams meet.

These types of situation have always occurred in the past, but seem to be happening now with greater regularity.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                                There's a completely blue sky outside with wall to wall sunshine but the temperature, on paper, is reckoned to be around 17 degrees. However, there is a very unpleasant cold wind which is taking several degrees off that. Walking into the wind is very nasty; find a sheltered spot in the sun and you realise how warm it really is.
                                I am lucky to some extend in that respect, living as I do in a T-shaped WSW-ENE aligned 4-storey block of flats, allowing for a small relatively protected grassed area on the SW side, which has allowed me a couple of hours' worth of afternoon sunbathing before it becomes enshadowed by tall hornbeams and sycamores next door. During last summer's exceptional heat it was too hot a spot!

Comment

Working...
                                X