X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

Enjoy it while you can. If the jet stream drifts northwards in the coming few weeks, things will not be so pleasant.
    That's right. For the moment - and as far as can be seen - we are enviably on the cold side of a downward loop in the Atlantic jet. Long may it be so! - I hope to get in as many cycle rides as possible while conditions remain tenable.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
      • Jan 2011

Wet Wet Wet!...

...no, not them, the weather!

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

This has to be the worst July I can remember. Just awful.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Bryn
          Bryn commented
          Editing a comment
          Hmm. Here in Braccan Heal, it's been just the ticket, as far as I'm concerned. So glad to be north of the jet stream.
      • Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
        This has to be the worst July I can remember. Just awful.
        How did you manage to get Bryn's post quoted in yours BEFORE he posted it?? I hadn't realised there was a TARDIS app in the new forum!

Anyway, the weather was pretty dull in both senses here today, maxing out at only 20 degs Celsius - but at least I managed to get my heavy shopping trip done in comparative comfort; Monday's long ride seems to have done wonders for my leg muscles. All that said, the weekend really looks to be a total washout.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Not just cooler but very much cooler - chilly in fact(14 or thereabouts, forecast high of 16), not helped by the wind picking up. Rain is on its way, although if we're lucky(!) it won't be too heavy hereabouts.
          Keeping an anxious eye on my tomatoes as cold conditions and dampness are not good news on the blight front, and it would be typical for them to get caught as they are set for a bumper crop - but outside growing is always a lottery, far more so now than used to be the case. In the past dry warm summers were the norm here and most years would give a yield of some sort.

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

How did you manage to get Bryn's post quoted in yours BEFORE he posted it?? I hadn't realised there was a TARDIS app in the new forum!
            Bryn has used the 'comment' facility (bottom right) to directly comment on my post so he didn't need to 'quote'. No TARDIS involved!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
              Old Grumpy commented
              Editing a comment
              Ah, so it is...

...I generally access the R3 Forum on my phone in portrait view. Changing to landscape reveals said button! This is all part of the continuing education programme!
          • Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

Bryn has used the 'comment' facility (bottom right) to directly comment on my post so he didn't need to 'quote'. No TARDIS involved!
            Aha - many thanks for informing me about this facility, Pet.

Today has duly turned very wet, with continuous moderate rain since midday, and the temperature now down to 16C. So glad I took my daily constitutional this morning, circumambulating Crystal Palace Park for the first time in 3 weeks due to the latter having been fenced off for 2 weekends devoted to a so-called "dance music" festival.

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Aha - many thanks for informing me about this facility, Pet.

Today has duly turned very wet, with continuous moderate rain since midday, and the temperature now down to 16C. So glad I took my daily constitutional this morning, circumambulating Crystal Palace Park for the first time in 3 weeks due to the latter having been fenced off for 2 weekends devoted to a so-called "dance music" festival.
              Ah, more learning... And yet another decision to be made - do I want to comment or quote.
              The rain started half-heartedly late morning but in earnest mid afternoon, with the increasing wind adding to its wetness. Fortunately the temperature stopped its downward travel and settled out at 16 degrees. I'm glad I changed my mind about going into the city for a lunchtime recital(which would have involved a 10 minute walk from bus stop to venue, plus wait in rain to catch the bus in town to the city) and opted for an afternoon chamber concert at a church in a nearby village where I was able to park almost directly outside, thus minimising the exposure to wet and wind. Audience wearing standard English summer attire - thick cardis and waterproofs.

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

It's been raining fairly heavily all day here and has only just eased off to a murky drizzle. Temperature is 17 degrees and it feels chilly enough indoors to put the heating on but I've so far resisted. The general feeling is more that of early October than July.

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

Well, up here on NW edge of Pennines, it is currently cold - no, genuinely cold - visibility limited, mizzle/drizzle. and of course it is only a month past midsummer - huh! Feels more like intense autumn.

Comment

• alywin
                    • Apr 2011

One of which didn't have much content, I believe? Anyway, I was glad to be away from it.

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

It was wet overnight, but occasional light rain rather than the downpours of earlier, and the temperature was at or above Saturday's daytime ones. It's currently grey and windy(useful to dry things off a bit) and feeling much less cold. Might be sunshine and showers for the rest of the day, but continuing to be warmer whatever. Monday is looking not at all pleasant - cold, wet and windy - so I'd better make the most of any suitable periods today to get outside!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Yellow rain warning issued for Sunday across northern England and Wales

Is someone taking the p**s?

By the way, whatever happened to acid rain? We never hear anything about it these days.

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Is someone taking the p**s?

By the way, whatever happened to acid rain? We never hear anything about it these days.
                          The water companies' new approach to sewage management...

The acid rain issue responded to measures to deal with the air pollution that caused it - although environments affected are taking time to recover - getting back the flora and fauna in lakes for instance.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                            • Nov 2010

On the Island of Iona. Glorious day today, if a touch breezy. The Atlantic low seems to have slipped south of us. No sign of rain, for a change.

Comment

Working...
                            X