Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So far looking better than it did on last night's forecast; although a waterproof will be needed it should only need to cope with drizzle - but the strong wind of course makes such fine wet more wet!

Comment

Been more less thrashing it down on and off all day.
      Temp dropping way faster than BBC suggests.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
        Been more less thrashing it down on and off all day.
        Temp dropping way faster than BBC suggests.
        It eventually reached here at about 2 am, and has been raining since, with a couple of hours of moderate rain just before midday - all to the tune of around half an inch's worth in London totals - and not yet through despite the official forecast showing clearance from all but Sussex and Kent by 2 pm! Two days to come of very strong winds for all regions, especially the north and Scotland, on Thursday and Friday, with intervening periods of relative mildness and cold, with the latter expected to win through temporarily on Xmas Day, but not be cold enough for snow south of the Scots highlands. I now have to go out in this in order to collect my prescription. Luckily the wind has dropped out entirely, so with 2 miles plus to cover it's to be the bike. Better remember to take a couple of Pound coins for the friendly Rasta guy who plays bass guitar patterns over dub samples outside St Sprees.

Comment

Wishing anyone reading this a Very Happy Midwinter Solstice!

A midwinter's day on which now that the weak morning's frontal drizzle has now cleared it is turning out remarkably bright and mild, albeit with strong to gale force winds, as expected. I shan't now be cycling down the road for my bread loaves!

Any white Christmas is now out of our likely picture - temperatures have just been forecast as high as 15C on Xmas Eve, (not sure if that wouldn't be a date record for London), and 13C for The Day.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Wishing anyone reading this a Very Happy Midwinter Solstice!

A midwinter's day on which now that the weak morning's frontal drizzle has now cleared it is turning out remarkably bright and mild, albeit with strong to gale force winds, as expected. I shan't now be cycling down the road for my bread loaves!
            That's a bit of a pain, eh?

Comment

Up here in NW, cutting westerly, damp, murky, but miraculously, no steady rain! Mirabile dictu!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

That's a bit of a pain, eh?
                Crumbs - I'll raise you a toast, you old crusty!

Comment

Fantastic show of cloud iridescence over Vale of Mowbray this evening.

Comment

Fantastic show of cloud iridescence over Vale of Mowbray this evening.
                    An earlier instance from Cornwall or Devon was actually mentioned on today's midday BBC forecast, complete with a viewer's picture. We had the right kind of cloud for it here (the granular cirrocumulus), but no mother-of-pearl effects because there was too much thick cloud at lower levels.

Comment

Yeah, nacreous man!

Clouds with beautiful iridescent colour were captured by BBC Weather Watchers.

Comment

Indeed, and I stand corrected: nacreous clouds are not the same as cirrocumulus or lenticularis, being much higher than either in the atmosphere.

Also mentioned on that page is Mammatus, or Mammato Cumulonimbus: downward bulges sometimes appearing underneath cumulonimbus anvil clouds, with resemblances to a sow's underbelly!

Skies over west Lancashire took on a striking appearance as an unusual cloud formation moved in on Sunday.

Comment

The forecast is looking a bit better than it did last night. Rain most of the day has become possibility of showers about now and perhaps after lunch. The tradeoff is continuing strong winds, although hopefully not as bad as yesterday, that rather disguise the fact it is still mild.

I spoke too soon! It's now back to wet off and on through the day, although slightly less heavy and likely than last night's version, but the wind speeds increasing so even light rain will cause more wetness when out in it. Not much fun for the market stall holders - Friday is the main one in the week, and the last one before Christmas they usually do a lot of business(grave wreaths and pot plants, whole brussels sprout stems, boxes of small citrus and nets of nuts figure prominently), but the combination of high winds and rain makes getting the stalls up( and later packed away) difficult, and will deter shoppers. There is currently a siezable gap between the big banks of cloud on the map so I'd better get myself organised to take advantage.
                          Last edited by oddoneout; 22-12-23, 10:38. Reason: update

Comment

Must say, I did wonder why there was a sudden surge in grave wreath sales...

...then realised thy were probably for the graves of the previously departed, rather than a sudden surge in mortality rates

Comment

Must say, I did wonder why there was a sudden surge in grave wreath sales...

...then realised thy were probably for the graves of the previously departed, rather than a sudden surge in mortality rates
                              Indeed. The market purchases are the robust ones(mostly holly) intended for the visiting the dead activities, still very much a thing here at Christmas. I suppose when so much of the population doesn't (even now) move away the tradition takes longer to, erm, die out.
                              I don't know what the current mortality levels are, compared to previous years, not having taken advantage of the Warm Places offer at the funeral services office, mentioned elsewhere...

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Indeed. The market purchases are the robust ones(mostly holly) intended for the visiting the dead activities, still very much a thing here at Christmas. I suppose when so much of the population doesn't (even now) move away the tradition takes longer to, erm, die out.
                                I don't know what the current mortality levels are, compared to previous years, not having taken advantage of the Warm Places offer at the funeral services office, mentioned elsewhere...

Comment

Working...
                                X