Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smittims View Post
    Thanks for posting that. I found it most informative and rewarding to read.
    John Crace's experience at St Georges echoed my own at Kings College 12 years ago, when I had a stent put in by the same vascular route, following a similar mild heart attack. He would have been nearly the same age as I was at the time. I think I feel a bit more secure with my stent keeping the shrunken artery in question open, than with a presumably one-off drug injection.

Comment

My new bank cards arrived through the post this afternoon, thus concluding my present day period drama with the online scammers, so this should be my last episode. One thing that seemed strange was that they had only sent new pin number details for one of the cards, and so, assuming the other card pin number had not been changed, I tested it just now on the local ATM, and it worked using the old pin number. The other new card will only come into operation for general purchases after chip and pinning it for the first transaction. I suppose this it to guard against interceptors

My gas boiler passed its annual MOT this afternoon, apart from its perennial leak, for which the woman engineer - a first time ever for me, incidentally - was able to fix a visit tomorrow morning, which I think is pretty good service, although I have my doubts if the leak will be fixed. .

Comment

Coincidentally our boiler had a service last Friday which revealed a similar fault, and we've just been told the engineer is on his way with the new part. It shows how useful it is to have them checked. It could have been trundling on from week to week withoiut our realising a fault was slowly brewing.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
          Coincidentally our boiler had a service last Friday which revealed a similar fault, and we've just been told the engineer is on his way with the new part. It shows how useful it is to have them checked. It could have been trundling on from week to week withoiut our realising a fault was slowly brewing.
          A small leak last year - but not enough to make a puddle which is why it took a while to work out what was happening - was the reason my boiler was losing pressure, which beyond a certain point stops it working. It has an annual service but I also check the pressure gauge periodically which was how I picked up that the drop had gone beyond normal slight decrease over the year. Luckily it proved to be a simple easily solved issue.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
            This might amuse...
            When I'm next in the Netherlands it will be very useful to know that the Dutch for "Fish doorbell" is "Vis deurbel".
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

When I'm next in the Netherlands it will be very useful to know that the Dutch for "Fish doorbell" is "Vis deurbel".
              Maybe this "news" is real - still not sure.

Ja!! Laat maar komen die #lente. Wij zijn er klaar voor!Vrijdag 1 maart 2024 gaat de #Visdeurbel aan. Met een heel bijzondere opening. Én een wekelijks #Visd...

De vismigratie komt deze week meer op gang! We zien twee nieuwe soorten; brasem en baars. Ik vertel jullie meer over vismigratie, wat is dit eigenlijk? En na...

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                Maybe this "news" is real - still not sure.

Ja!! Laat maar komen die #lente. Wij zijn er klaar voor!Vrijdag 1 maart 2024 gaat de #Visdeurbel aan. Met een heel bijzondere opening. Én een wekelijks #Visd...

De vismigratie komt deze week meer op gang! We zien twee nieuwe soorten; brasem en baars. Ik vertel jullie meer over vismigratie, wat is dit eigenlijk? En na...

More here.
                QI has tweeted about it, American football players have put it on their TikTok and over a million viewers have been hooked in. All you do is wait for a fish, press a button – and save their lives

There is work going on elsewhere in Holland to do with fish migration, so I see no reason to doubt this is "real" - it's a form of citizen science.
                The Afsluitdijk protects our country against the water, but also poses an obstruction to many types of fish. The Fish Migration River will ensure that fish will be able to swim from salt to fresh water again. They need this to survive. The Fish Migration River is an innovative plan to restore the connection between the Waddenzee and the IJsselmeer. In addition, the Fish Migration River contributes to healthy water, restoring a wonderful variety of plants and animals in the area, and offers recreation options.

https://edepot.wur.nl/417050#:~:text...r%20to%20spawn.

Comment

While we're on clever animals let me bore you with Billy's lucky escape.

Billy is a very chunky British Black cat who is feeling the onset of spring by 'boldly going' where he hasn't gone before, such as a drawer in my tallboy while I was changing, and then climbing over the back of the drawer , trapping himself in the space behind it. After much miaowing while I contempleted dismantling the wretched unit, I pulled out the bottom drawer as far as it would go and he squeezed out like a limbo dancer. I hope 'lessons have been learnt' now.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    A general point the homepage shows that there are currently 163 "active users" - these being registered members active in recent days - whether 10 days or 30 days the vBulletin admins can't agree..
                    There seems to have been a noticeable increase of late in the number of active users - 200 at the time of posting!

Comment

Good news (I guess)
                      2024 Radio Academy Awards Nominations include Essential Classics for Best Music Entertainment Show and Radio 3 for UK Station or Network of the Year

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                        Good news (I guess)
                        2024 Radio Academy Awards Nominations include Essential Classics for Best Music Entertainment Show and Radio 3 for UK Station or Network of the Year
                        Last time (the first time?) R3 won UK Station of the Year it was very much a down-page story for the media. They want one of the big hitters to win because that will attract more interest from the public. Usually their criterion is 'has it made news with big stories during the past year?' I suspect R3 gets a nomination now and again to show they know it exists. Only programmes with large audiences such as EC or In Tune get nominated. As I've pointed out, Essential Classics gets a big audience because it's 3 hours long (more people can dip in and out) and because it's the post-breakfast prog, a 'peak-time' slot. Some people will listen to anything as long as it's on when they want to listen.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

There seems to have been a noticeable increase of late in the number of active users - 200 at the time of posting!
                          Yes, we've been having a steady flow of new registrations. We usually manage to weed out the obvious spammers before they post. The highest number of posts in a day during the past year was Nov 8 with 234 (with 206 on Nov 3 and 199 on Feb 26 - so all in the past 4 months)

Comment

Good news (I guess)
                            Says it all really...

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                              Says it all really...

Comment

Working...
                              X