X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you, Anna: hope all is well and that you've got alternative funs to look forward to!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      Thank you, Anna: hope all is well and that you've got alternative funs to look forward to!
      Everything is ok, just too busy and must not let myself be distracted! Oh, the merguez were lovely and my confusion re August and Saga was because at the time I hadn't watched and looking at the Guardian blog was led astray by the duvet reference. All is now clear. Poor Martin!
      Last edited by Guest; 08-05-12, 14:26. Reason: typo

Comment

Purcell's The Faerie Queene
        Of course!
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
          Everything is ok

just too busy

must not let myself be distracted!

Oh, the mergues were lovely

Comment

Something a bit different... What H links

and

and

?

Comment

Where's Tapiola when you need a rhyme?

Comment

Where's Tapiola when you need a rhyme?
                I thought you'd be all over it like a fur coat...

I thought others might be at sixes and sevens... but I think a lot of folk are away

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  ... but I think a lot of folk are away
                  They like to be in A-me-ri-ca, perhaps?

Hope it doesn't make you furiant, but I'll hang on to my I until there are more of us about (everybody catching up from the Bank Holiday?) - or until I can put one together!

Comment

As one of the few here who cannot read music - could ferney explain how an H turns into America via the notes ......

Comment

As one of the few here who cannot read music - could ferney explain how an H turns into America via the notes ......
                      Fair enough, Anna! Ferney, would you like to explain in the meantime?

Do you think my little excursion was somewhat unfair, Anna?

Agreed about the I...

Comment

All three pieces use Hemiola: a syncopation effect that happens when you have a pulse of three suddenly interrupted by a couple of bars that sound like they're in two (or vice versa). Bernstein's America uses this constantly - I like to be in A-me-ri-ca; OK by me in A-me-ri-ca --- etc, giving a 1-2-3, 2-2-3 / 1-2-3 pulse throughout.

Handel uses it often in 3/4 pieces to mark the cadences at the ends of sections: eg And the Glory of the Lord at the end of the first section (just before "And all flesh shall see it together" is sung for the first time) "Lord shall be re-vea-led" is "in" Hemiola.

The Scherzo of Vaughan Williams' Fifth Symphony is replete with Hemiola.

I've never heard a "full ola", though.

Comment

Thanks ferney, that's very clear and I have learnt something new today!
                          Caliban, no I don't think the question was unfair, I just needed the explanation as I can't read notes

Comment

All three pieces use Hemiola: a syncopation effect that happens when you have a pulse of three suddenly interrupted by a couple of bars that sound like they're in two (or vice versa). Bernstein's America uses this constantly - I like to be in A-me-ri-ca; OK by me in A-me-ri-ca --- etc, giving a 1-2-3, 2-2-3 / 1-2-3 pulse throughout.

Handel uses it often in 3/4 pieces to mark the cadences at the ends of sections: eg And the Glory of the Lord at the end of the first section (just before "And all flesh shall see it together" is sung for the first time) "Lord shall be re-vea-led" is "in" Hemiola.

The Scherzo of Vaughan Williams' Fifth Symphony is replete with Hemiola.

I've never heard a "full ola", though.
                            You should go to Benidorm mate - can't move for people giving you the full OLA!

Great explanation...

I love it when the 2 beats against 3 are simultaneous in different parts e.g. in the left hand and right hand - Brahms does it a lot in his piano music, and I think the first of my illustrations is from a Brahms piece... I remember learning how to do two on one hand against three on the other, just tapping out the rhythms on the table... It makes a combined rhythm like "Nice cup of tea Nice cup of tea..."

Brahms's Intermezzo Op 118 No 2 uses it a lot in the central section http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h4Re5WBEAc
                            Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 08-05-12, 15:52.

Comment

I can't read music because apart from trying to learn the piano about 10 years ago (and failing dismally to get both hands to co-operate) I don't play any instrument, nor have I ever been in a choir. I even failed on the recorder at Junior school ......

We had a piano at home, a baby grand, can't remember the make, but only my grandmother played it. It was brought for my sister to practice on but she hated her piano lessons and gave up. I am envious of people here who can make music but I think I have no natural aptitude at all, apart from listening to it! We all know Caliban is multi-talented (!) - trombone and piano - but what do others here play?

Comment

I can't claim to be an instrumentalist any more - December 1994 was the last time I played in public (I used to earn a few quid every so often as a percussionist) and when I recently "had a go" I was so horrified at what I couldn't do (things I used to be able to do without thinking) that I quickly stopped. I had violin and piano lessons as a teenager, but I wouldn't want anyone to hear me.

One of my plans for retirement is to start playing the Viola (I have difficulty hearing high notes close up, so the register of the Viola is kinder to my ears).

Comment

Working...
                                X