X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Franz Joseph Haydn - She never told her love ??

my final guess - Walter Goehr ?
    Last edited by mercia; 18-05-12, 05:48.

Comment

I've spent about an hour this morning looking at this. Firstly, I don't understand how Caliban got Twelfth Night and Maria ...... but no matter, innate genius I expect. I cannot find any song in TN with a J except Hey Robin, Jolly Robin, and no song specific to Maria. Mercia seems to have eliminated most of the available Franz & Walters, so a clue please cloughie. Are we looking for two Classical pieces (rather than, say Franz Ferdinand?) Edit: Or has mercia cracked it with F. Joseph?
      Last edited by Guest; 18-05-12, 08:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        I've spent about an hour this morning looking at this. Firstly, I don't understand how Caliban got Twelfth Night and Maria ...... but no matter, innate genius I expect. I cannot find any song in TN with a J except Hey Robin, Jolly Robin, and no song specific to Maria. Mercia seems to have eliminated most of the available Franz & Walters, so a clue please cloughie. Are we looking for two Classical pieces (rather than, say Franz Ferdinand?) Edit: Or has mercia cracked it with F. Joseph?

She's the only character in a play called Maria I could think of... I was toying with Maria in "Sound of Music" (she took it well...) and hence Julie Andrews... But then Cloughie said the J wasn't a person - and anyway, he said play not musical... So I plumped for 12N.

But I can't get a J out of it at all, other than the fact that she refers to jests and japes...

I also thought about a sneaky Franz as in F.J. Haydn, as mercia said, but didn't get anywhere.

Are Franz and Walter classical composers, Cloughie ?

I thought of Franz von Suppé as well, and Franz Schmitt... Nothing.

Stumped, and I'm back up to Wembley shortly, unlikely to be around again till early afternoon.
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

No, but the Walter is British.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            You got it, Anna.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

She's the only character in a play called Maria I could think of... I was toying with Maria in "Sound of Music" (she took it well...) and hence Julie Andrews... But then Cloughie said the J wasn't a person - and anyway, he said play not musical... So I plumped for 12N.

But I can't get a J out of it at all, other than the fact that she refers to jests and japes...

I also thought about a sneaky Franz as in F.J. Haydn, as mercia said, but didn't get anywhere.

Are Franz and Walter classical composers, Cloughie ?

I thought of Franz von Suppé as well, and Franz Schmitt... Nothing.

Stumped, and I'm back up to Wembley shortly, unlikely to be around again till early afternoon.
              Yes, Suppe answer.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                No, but the Walter is British.
                Walter Leigh's "Jolly Roger" opera ?
                did Suppe write a "Jolly Robbers" polka ??

Comment

You got it, Anna.
                  I have? That's a total surpise. Oh Dear. You just caught me before I went offline so I really don't have time to delve into Walter (but I see you've confirmed Caliban's Franz von Suppe), perhaps he or someone can finish it off as I won't be back online until around mid-day? Edit: cross posted with mercia and his Jolly!

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                    Walter Leigh's "Jolly Roger" opera ?
                    did Suppe write a "Jolly Robbers" polka ??

Walter Leigh's "Jolly Roger" opera ? Yes
                    did Suppe write a "Jolly Robbers" polka, No but he did write an overture.

Comment

No but he did write an overture.
                      of the same name, I hope
                      phew! another tough one from the master cryptologist

Comment

Anna's Law summary. Thank you for your involuntary contributions to this one - it was you asking me to do a Jolly J that made me think of Jolly, then you casually came up with Jolly Robin.

Jolly (Anna)

Franz von Suppe Jolly Robbers Ov (cali then merc)
                        Walter Leigh Jolly Roger (merc)
                        Maria (Twelfth Night) Jolly Robin from Twelfth Night (Anna)

K goes to Anna.

Comment

Anna's Law summary. Thank you for your involuntary contributions to this one - it was you asking me to do a Jolly J that made me think of Jolly K goes to Anna.
                          I did wonder cloughie, after posting Hey Robin whether my previous jolly had set you off ....... As I said upthread, I am literally halfway out of the door (running late) so if mercia who did most of the work digging up Walter and Franz to finish it off wants to go ahead with a K then that's OK with me. Otherwise I won't be back until 11.30-ish to set anything.

Comment

I'm afraid I'm rather busy today too - I'm sure someone will come up with a K in the fullness of time

Comment

I'm happy to wait for a 'K' from Anna.

Comment

I'm afraid this is turning into one of those Fridays ....... when you can't wait for Saturday to arrive. OK, put together in a bit of a rush but I honestly don't think we've had this K before, I think it's relatively straightfoward, have clues on hand just in case.

Three K characters, three Operas containing in the plots:
                                A haunted room leading to death
                                A suicide because of another wife
                                Dancing was her downfall

Comment

Working...
                                X