This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    And, fancy that, they brought the flame all the way from Athens in a Welsh miners' lamp!
    Yes but it was a Cornishman who invented it.

Comment

I've just spent 20 mins staring at cloughie's M. I haven't come up with anything except 'sounds like a drink' is that a composer with an alcoholic name, such as Martini? I shall have to ponder overnight I think .........

Comment

I've just spent 20 mins staring at cloughie's M. I haven't come up with anything except 'sounds like a drink' is that a composer with an alcoholic name, such as Martini? I shall have to ponder overnight I think .........
        The drink is at the end of his name. The three clues are his compositions.

Comment

MeyerBEER? (If it is, I can't find any compositions to fit the clues).

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
            MeyerBEER? (If it is, I can't find any compositions to fit the clues).
            Correct

Comment

?..a composer with an alcoholic name, such as Martini?
              Martinu perhaps?

An M sounds like the offer of a drink
              . Round?

Then cloughie confounds us with:
              The drink is at the end of his name. The three clues are his compositions.
              so I am nowhere.

Except I am now in Oban, the island hopping is over
              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                Except I am now in Oban
                http://www.masterofmalt.com/distille...ky-distillery/
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  sounds like the offer of a drink
                  Another of cloughie's euphonic clues! What was the one a week or so ago where the key word sounded like something incongruous?

I also can find nothing to do with foresight, skating or royalty in relation to Meyerbeer né Beer...

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    Another of cloughie's euphonic clues! What was the one a week or so ago where the key word sounded like something incongruous?

I also can find nothing to do with foresight, skating or royalty in relation to Meyerbeer né Beer...
                    Not even prophets, coronations or names of works like what Waldteufel also wrote about!

Comment

Congrats to you good AA people on sailing past 20,000 posts - here's to your next 20k!

Comment

Thank you anton. I wonder if you're going to come back and join in on a regular basis ........?
                        As soon as I posted Martini and switched computer off it suddenly hit me - Meyerbeer! But bed was more important. A cloughie poser than seemed impenetrable suddenly wasn't anymore And Norfy twigged it, so who is going to finish it off?

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                          Congrats to you good AA people on sailing past 20,000 posts - here's to your next 20k!
                          But anton, you are a good AA person too! And it's open to everyone!

On the matter in hand I see (not in wiki though) that our beery subject wrote:

- an annoying trifle called "Les Patineurs" (skaters) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3VkL3fqmGw
                          - a Coronation March (royalty)

Can't get the third one (the "I foresee" bit - or was that just window-dressing?)

CD Review and Gesualdo now...

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            Can't get the third one (the "I foresee" bit - or was that just window-dressing?)CD Review and Gesualdo now...
                            Try Le prophète Hmm, perhaps you can foresee who sets the next question?
                            CD Review for me as well, nasty damp morning here, not inclined to venture forth yet.

Comment

Very little further progress to report, I'm afraid. I may have got the link, but otherwise impenetrability remains total. Waldteufel > Skaters > Les Patienurs? Wirth und Gast = landlord offering weary traveller a drink? Is there a cocktail called a Margherita or similar? No other titles of works that I've found seem to have any relationship with the clues, but all will doubtless become clear(ish) when Cloughie aka Poirot assembles us in the library...
                              Oh, yes...on an unrelated topic which I mentioned yesterday ... the Bridcut Delius bio is on BBC 4 NEXT Friday, 25th of May (put it down to HSS)*
                              *Home Secretary Syndrome - in this case, right day of the week, wrong week!

Comment

Try Le prophète Hmm, perhaps you can foresee who sets the next question?

Oh yes !!

I prophecy: Anna!!

Comment

Working...
                                X