This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Northender View Post
    Ah... kling on ...Tristan Klingsor's words set by Ravel in 'Sheherezade'?
    I went straight up the Star Trek garden path...

"It's dead, Jim"
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

The Kit Kat Club, as in.....?

Comment

As in Cabaret.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          unless (ferney dreams come true!) there's a chocolate called Whisky Bar?! (Oh show me the way ... )

I do enjoy catching up on AA!

Comment

Indeed, Anna!
            Lotte Lenya played Fräulein Schneider in 'Cabaret' in the States, and Rosa Klebb in 'From Russia With Love'.
            I make that one each to you and fhg. You mentioned the Seven Deadly Sins, but didn't go into more detail...

Comment

Up there with "Do you expect me to talk?" "No, Mr Bond; I expect you to die!" from Goldfinger!
              I love Michel Lonsdale's exit near the end of Moonraker, shot in the heart and expelled from the spaceship just as he's about to see Bond off:

(Imagine the gravelly French accent)
              "Desolated, Mr Bond"

*Bang*

"Heartbroken, Mr Drax"

Comment

Indeed, Anna! Lotte Lenya played Fräulein Schneider in 'Cabaret' in the States, and Rosa Klebb in 'From Russia With Love'. I make that one each to you and fhg. You mentioned the Seven Deadly Sins, but didn't go into more detail...
                No, I didn't because I did think Lenya was too obvious and then I looked at Tilly Losch who was in the original of Seven Deadly Sins by Weill and Brecht ....... oh well, perhaps that proves go with your first thought!

Comment

Last Summer a bedtime story teller was involved with a shake spear castrato.
                  sorry, I still need an explanation of the castrato, or do we not know any more than wiki tells us ?

Comment

Lotte Lenya also played the main role in Kurt Weill's Seven Deadly Sins.
                    Well, Anna, it looks as though the are on you, failing which it's my pleasure to ask you, in recognition of your part in tracking Lotte down, to set the next question.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                      sorry, I still need an explanation of the castrato, or do we not know any more than wiki tells us ?
                      I gather that Klingsor steals a spear in Parsifal, and that Wagner considered having the part sung by a castrato.

Comment

it's my pleasure to ask you, in recognition of your part in tracking Lotte down, to set the next question.
                        OK, give me 10 mins to have a sandwich whilst someone explains to mercia the difference between castrati and eunuchs in Wagner!

Comment

Wagner considered having the part sung by a castrato.
                          yes, thanks, that's what I read on wiki but it sounded a bit far-fetched

Comment

Let's see what you Make of this:

Which M is this:
                            Is Percy encouraging us to be rude;
                            all the way from London to Norwich;
                            and was Gustav waving a stick?

Comment

I gather that Klingsor steals a spear in Parsifal, and that Wagner considered having the part sung by a castrato.
                              Chucks said spear at our simple hero, who catches it (thereby earning the name "Lance Parsifal") and uses it to make the sign of the cross in the air, whereupon Klingy's magic castle is razed to the ground. "That brought the house down" quoth 007 Parsifal Bond.

And wasn't the reason Wagner contemplated a castrato because Klingsor (the second syllable of his name important here) is ... err ... "mutilated"? (Wotan got away comparatively easily with the loss of an eye - but perhaps that just reflects my own priorities?) Hence Kundry's mocking his chastity at the start of Act Two.
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                                Let's see what you Make of this:

Which M is this:
                                Is Percy encouraging us to be rude;
                                all the way from London to Norwich;
                                and was Gustav waving a stick?

Not getting very far... Gustav is Mahler, as great a conductor as he was a composer. (Always get a frisson when I think of that second performance of Rach's 3rd Piano Concerto, with Gus on podium and Sergei on keyboard... )

Comment

Working...
                                X