This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    No, I didn't - well I sort of did because I'd read your post wrong and instantly corrected one second later. Not my fault your internet connection is so fast ........ Will you ever forgive me ........... <goes down on bended knees in total abject supplication and looks wistful emoticon>

No forgiveness needed! Was just checking I wasn't losing my marbles! I see now it's been amended... hadn't looked back!

Plus I have a headache and am feeling particuarly Saturdayish and dozy
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Hey, you two - I'm starting to well up here...shades of Trevor Howard and Celia Johnson (or possibly Victoria Wood and Celia Imrie). Whereabouts are we, solution-wise?

Comment

Originally posted by Northender View Post
        Hey, you two - I'm starting to well up here...shades of Trevor Howard and Celia Johnson (or possibly Victoria Wood and Celia Imrie). Whereabouts are we, solution-wise?
        How spooky you said Brief Encounter - and R3 is at the mo playing Rach PC No. 2!!
        You have so far: Percy Grainger's Mock Morris and Kemp's Morris (which inspired Michael Finnessy to write piano piece of same title) You are looking for a Gustav and his Morris and, apart from his stick (not a baton type stick), could he also be down at the allotment within the piece?

Comment

Gustav Holst conducting at William Morris's house?

Comment

Gustav Holst conducting at William Morris's house?
            Gustav Holst it is, but as I've said above, Stick does not mean conducting in this instance.

Comment

"Bean Setting" Morris Dance Tunes Set 1 ??

you need sticks to hold up your runner beans down at the allotment

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                "Bean Setting" Morris Dance Tunes Set 1 ??
                you need sticks to hold up your runner beans down at the allotment
                YES!! That's the last one solved. Well done mercia, Bean Setting otherwise known as Stick Dance from Holst's Morris Dance Tunes. Good team effort I think.

Bit of trivia: William Kemp, said to have been the original Dogberry in Much ado about Nothing, danced a Morris from London to Norwich in nine days: of which he printed the account, in 1600, entitled, Kemp’s Nine Days Wonder. Which is where the expression comes from.

Edit: Just to recap. Ferney initially got Morris, which is the answer
                Northender got Kemp's Morris and he and Cali simultaneously got Percy Grainger's Mock Morris
                Northender got Holst but mercia correctly got Holst's Morris Dance Tunes and Stick Dance/Bean Counter
                So, on balance, I think the honours must go to Northender for the next round.
                Last edited by Guest; 09-06-12, 16:05. Reason: tidying up

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                  YES!! That's the last one solved. Well done mercia, Bean Setting otherwise known as Stick Dance from Holst's Morris Dance Tunes. Good team effort I think.

Bit of trivia: William Kemp, said to have been the original Dogberry in Much ado about Nothing, danced a Morris from London to Norwich in nine days: of which he printed the account, in 1600, entitled, Kemp’s Nine Days Wonder. Which is where the expression comes from.

Edit: Just to recap. Ferney initially got Morris, which is the answer
                  Northender got Kemp's Morris and he and Cali simultaneously got Percy Grainger's Mock Morris
                  Northender got Holst but mercia correctly got Holst's Morris Dance Tunes and Stick Dance/Bean Counter
                  So, on balance, I think the honours must go to Northender for the next round.
                  I'd second that. I wouldn't have got the bean-stick thing in a month of Sundays! Nice puzzle!!

Comment

OK, thank you. I certainly wouldn't have got the bean stick wotsit. (The thing's I've learned since I joined in!)
                    I have managed to devise a question to which the answer starts with N:
                    A UK No. 1 single; a possible message from a Californian satnav; and a symphony in E-flat major.

Comment

(The thing's I've learned since I joined in!)

Amazing isn't it. Trouble is I then forget again. Then I look really silly when the question comes around again a few laps of the alphabet later

Shall ponder your N whilst high definition Dutch and Danes scurry around on my TV screen

Comment

OK, thank you. I certainly wouldn't have got the bean stick wotsit. (The thing's I've learned since I joined in!)
                        I have managed to devise a question to which the answer starts with N:
                        A UK No. 1 single; a possible message from a Californian satnav; and a symphony in E-flat major.
                        Methinks your poser is based on a naive solution.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                          Methinks your poser is based on a naive solution.
                          'Ere 'e comes, wiv 'is answers more cryptic than the flippin' questions!!

Go on then Mr C! Enlighten us! You know you want to!

Comment

I was looking at naïve too (Kooks & Berwald), but the satnav...?
                            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                              Nope, the Kooks' Naïve was a hit, but not a no. 1
                              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                                But, it may be the composer, not the name of the symphony, might it not? Like, Norman?

Comment

Working...
                                X