This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    Not quite the bug, more just interested if England are going to be revitalised under new management and curious about the French team (which no doubt you will be supporting!)

I have certain specific reasons for being pro-England in this context!
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

......... (you will not believe this!) I want to see most of England v France which is early kickoff so I'm off now until quite a lot later.
      ... well, I see that they are playing in a Welsh town

[from wiki] "Donetsk was founded in 1869 when the Welsh businessman John Hughes built a steel plant and several coal mines in the southern part of the Russian Empire at Aleksandrovka (Ukrainian: Олександрівка). The town initially was given the name Hughesovka (Yuzovka; Russian: Юзовка; Ukrainian: Юзівка)in recognition of his role in its founding ("Yuz" being a Russian or Ukrainian approximation of Hughes). By the beginning of the 20th century, Yuzovka had approximately 50,000 inhabitants, and had attained the status of a city in 1917.[ The main district of "Hughezovka" named English Colony. The British origin of the city reflected in its layout and architecture."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

I have certain specific reasons for being pro-England in this context!
        Say no more. Nudge, nudge, wink wink! I hope the game will not be marred by racists taunts, but I see the referees have been given very clear instructions as to what to do. 1st instance, public announcement, 2nd instance to march teams off the pitch temporarily, 3rd instance to abandon the game. How awful it's had to come to this, that preparations have to be made in advance just in case it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          ... well, I see that they are playing in a Welsh town

[from wiki] "Donetsk :The city was founded in 1869 by a Welsh businessman, John Hughes, who constructed a steel plant and several coal mines in the region; the town was thus named Yuzovka (Юзовка) in recognition of his role in its founding ("Yuz" being a Russian or Ukrainian approximation of Hughes). "
          Where would we be without you, vindetable!!

Comment

Quick U... then Anna can perhaps give us her V after t'match

This dame likes a Marlboro having arrived in London from Atami via Vienna

Comment

First time today I've been able to concentrate on this.

So in addition to

Sigfrid Karg-Elert's ' Now Thank We All Our God' (Nun danket alle Gott).

Spike Jones album is Thank you Music Lovers

we have

Bob Hope's "Thanks for the Memory' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanks_for_the_Memory... I think?
              The Anna's Law list done and dusted, Anna U go ahead!

I see we have one already Calibrated!

Comment

Quick U... then Anna can perhaps give us her V after t'match

This dame likes a Marlboro having arrived in London from Atami via Vienna
                Dame Mitsuko Uchida was born in Atami but brought up in Vienna and now lives in London.

I guess that Marlboro refers to the festival?

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  Dame Mitsuko Uchida was born in Atami but brought up in Vienna and now lives in London.

I guess that Marlboro refers to the festival?
                  It does - she's a co-director of the Marlboro Festival! And you have a hattrick with Dame MitsUko, Ams...

Anna said she had a V ready, don't know if you want to pass the ball so she can slot it in?

Comment

Anna said she had a V ready, don't know if you want to pass the ball so she can slot it in?

Beggin' your parding, Caliban

I think we should wait for Anna, lest umbrage is taken.

Comment

Beggin' your parding, Caliban
                      I think we should wait for Anna, lest umbrage is taken.
                      I never take Umbrage duckie, unless it's well chilled with ice and a slice!
                      You go ahead with a Vivacious, Vibrant, V, Ammy, I'm just merely looking in as it's half-time (and it was all going so well .......... ) A more lively match than the other two I've watched I must say and when it's all over I must prepare some food so I won't be around.

Comment

Umbrage
                        Looking the word up, this über-camp moment from Star Trek made me chuckle

That pointy finger means: V for Vulcan for you, Amateur

Comment

Looking the word up, this über-camp moment from Star Trek made me chuckle

That pointy finger means: V for Vulcan for you, Amateur

This monocular V’s origins were in Poland and Russia, now Lithuania. V studied with a creator of sparks and a man who gave a premiere of Wagner. V was a noted exponent of a Basque composer.

What V is this?

Comment

This monocular V’s origins were in Poland and Russia, now Lithuania. V studied with a creator of sparks and a man who gave a premiere of Wagner. V was a noted exponent of a Basque composer.

What V is this?

I believe we are in the presence of someone I saw playing at a very late stage in his career in the 80s - he looked so ancient and frail (he was 89 when he gave his final concerts a couple of years later) and it was accentuated by the fact that he was performing with youngsters from the Yehudi Menuhin school... it was funny and moving in equal measure.

Vlado Perlemuter...

... who lost an eye as a child, was of the requisite national background, studied with Moskowski (who wrote "Étincelles" - "Sparks") and Cortot who (amazingly) conducted the Paris premiere of Wagner's Götterdämmerung, and recorded the complete works of Basque-born Ravel.

Comment

I believe we are in the presence of someone I saw playing at a very late stage in his career in the 80s - he looked so ancient and frail (he was 89 when he gave his final concerts a couple of years later) and it was accentuated by the fact that he was performing with youngsters from the Yehudi Menuhin school... it was funny and moving in equal measure.

Vlado Perlemuter...

... who lost an eye as a child, was of the requisite national background, studied with Moskowski (who wrote "Étincelles" - "Sparks") and Cortot who (amazingly) conducted the Paris premiere of Wagner's Götterdämmerung, and recorded the complete works of Basque-born Ravel.
                              Triffic stuff Calibano

What about a WubbleEwe?

Comment

I picked up some Perlemuter cds very cheaply in the Red Cross shop. He was excellent, I must dig them out. Lucky Cali to have seen him.

Comment

Working...
                                X