X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    Is it Ravel or not?
    No! But one of his cantatas will give you a helpful title used by someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post
      ..or perhaps not.

Comment

"Myrrha" - 1901: André Caplet won with his version... Ravel came 3rd with his...
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

"Myrrha" - 1901: André Caplet won with his version... Ravel came 3rd with his...
          Nope!

Think first and last.

Comment

Nope!
            Whaaaaa-aaaaaaaaa-aaaaaaat?!?!?!

Might have to return to the fray in the morning.

Meanwhile, Ă  propos the whipper-snapper Caplet, here's a pic of him and Debussy, for a quick overnight...

....CAPTION COMPETITION!!!

My rather obvious contribution... Debussy: "Seems like a nice boy..."
            Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 12-11-12, 01:30. Reason: Adding lame caption

Comment

I didn't think of translating prodigal son

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                I didn't think of translating prodigal son

Is Caplet saying that, or Debussy?

Comment

EDIT - 3rd prize in 1901? (Acc to Wiki)
                  seems to me that cali is right that Ravel won 3rd prize in 1901 with his version of Myrrha

since "kingfisher" is in the question, is the work we are looking for called martin-pecheur ?

how confusing, there's a Prix de Rome (Belgium) as well
                  Last edited by mercia; 12-11-12, 07:08.

Comment

one of his cantatas will give you a helpful title used by someone else
                    Ravel cantatas - Callerhoe, Myrrha, Semiramis, Alyssa, Alcyone

Schmitt won in 1900 with Semiramis

can't find any kingfishers in Semiramis
                    Last edited by mercia; 12-11-12, 07:08.

Comment

Ravel cantatas - Callerhoe, Myrrha, Semiramis, Alyssa, Alcyone
                      And the last one you list there is... ?

And the connection with Kingfishers is...?

Forget Belgium, but the Paris version of the Prix de Rome ran for 165 years!

Comment

Forget Belgium, but the Paris version of the Prix de Rome ran for 165 years!
                        OK guys - do we all give in and succumb to the allures of that colourful fish catcher.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                          OK guys - do we all give in and succumb to the allures of that colourful fish catcher.
                          Honestly, Cloughie, at this stage the simplest Google search will lead you to the answer! Two words!

Comment

ah, sorry I didn't explore Alcyone because it wasn't listed as a Ravel cantata on wikipedia in my first search

anyway in Greek mythology Alcyone is a kingfisher hence the word halcyon

there's an opera Alcyone by Marin Marais (1656 - 1728), the opera dates from 1706

the Prix de Rome music prizes I think date from 1803, so I'm looking for another Alcyone which has won the Prix de Rome

sorry to be so stupid

EDIT - am I tying myself in knots ? Is it Ravel's Alcyone (1902) we're after ? which I think did not win a prize but was an entry for the prize. If I'm understanding the Prix de Rome correctly, each composer sets the same subject in the same year, so the winning Alcyone of 1902 was one by Ayme Kunc.

EDIT EDIT - totally confused now. on the wikipedia page for Ayme Kunc it says that Ravel won second prize in 1902 [presumably for Alcyone]. On wikipedia's Prix de Rome page it says second prize was won by Roger-Ducasse and third prize by Albert Bertelin

....... and do we still need a Prix de Rome Ophelia, not by Berlioz ?
                            Last edited by mercia; 12-11-12, 10:27.

Comment

ah, sorry I didn't explore Alcyone because it wasn't listed as a Ravel cantata on wikipedia in my first search

anyway in Greek mythology Alcyone is a kingfisher hence the word halcyon

there's an opera Alcyone by Marin Marais (1656 - 1728), the opera dates from 1706

the Prix de Rome music prizes I think date from 1803, so I'm looking for another Alcyone which has won the Prix de Rome

sorry to be so stupid

And to save you wading through every year, look at my clue at msg 27574!

Comment

look at my clue at msg 27574!
                                first and last, meaning presumably the historically "first" prize of 1803 and last of 1968

Albert Androt ? Alain Louvier ?

is this answering the Ophelia part of the question ?

[don't know whether you saw the edits to my last post]

EDIT - Berlioz first met and fell in love with Harriet Smithson when she was playing Ophelia, but I don't think this is what you're after
                                Last edited by mercia; 12-11-12, 10:38.

Comment

Working...
                                X