X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mercia View Post
    phew

Рондо - Каприччиозо, (Владислав Золотарёв)Rondo - Capriccioso, (Vladislav Zolotarev)

Vladislav Zolotarev
    Well done, mercs. As I capriciously said... on a whim...

Camille Saint-Saëns' Rondo Capriccioso in A minor for violin and orchestra.
    Vladislav Zolotarev's Rondo Capriccioso for accordion(s) (hence the "according to." I try... )
    Hugo Wolf's Rondo Capriccioso in Bb, Op.15,for piano.

Let's have an overnight Stunner!
    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

By the way, whatever happened to our friend Ron Dough from the old BBC R3 MBs? Has anyone heard from him since those heady days of over 2 years ago. He was very knowledgeable, a true gent.
      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
        Let's have an overnight Stunner!
        can it wait until tomorrow ?
        I won't be around now to reply

alternatively someone else might oblige

Comment

I can wait. Thanks for the company this evening. The Mrs has gone to see JC Superstar at the Sheffield Arena tonight. I was supposed to have been taking her but fortunately the daughter has gone instead. <phew> A narrow escape!
          Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Vladislav Zolotarev's Rondo Capriccioso for accordion(s) (hence the "according to." I try... )

Very trying....!!!

"...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

slightly in shock having managed to sleep well beyond 3am for the first time in at least 5 years [aren't you glad you know that ?]

S to connect

Mahler 4th symphony, second movement
              Rite of Spring, final chord
              Bach 5th cello suite

Comment

whatever happened to our friend Ron Dough from the old BBC R3 MBs?
                sorry, can't help with that
                I was only on the old boards for a day before being excommunicated

Comment

sorry, can't help with that

Surely not

Comment

slightly in shock having managed to sleep well beyond 3am for the first time in at least 5 years [aren't you glad you know that ?]

S to connect

Bach 5th cello suite
                    Perhaps when you waken you should not be thinking of AA - it's enough to give anyone insomnia!

Sorry I can't compete this morning: busy. I'll leave the goal open for someone else to score
                    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Good heavens, mercia! What happened? What did you say?!

S to connect

Bach 5th cello suite
                      Glad to hear about your good night's sleep!

Fascinating question, mercs, from which I've learnt something. The Mahler reference made me think of the way the leader has to have a second, differently-tuned violin available for use in that movement - which led me to discover that there's a word for that:

Scordatura

And I learnt of the other examples of this technique, of which I had no idea - the cellos have to retune a string to make it more resonant in the final chord of 'Rite of Spring' (would anyone really notice the difference?! ) and the Bach suite is played with a string tuned down to permit some of the chords to be played more easily.

Lots of other examples too - sections of 'Heldenleben' and 'Don Quixote' by Strauss, Schumann's Piano Quartet, Ravel's 'Ma Mère L'Oye" - generally to alter the colour of the instrument in question.

Fascinating

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        The Mahler reference made me think of the way the leader has to have a second, differently-tuned violin available for use in that movement
                        a-ha! I didn't know that - perhaps something one would only appreciate when attending a performance.

Scordatura it is.

Thing is, if one is so used to putting one's fingers down in a certain place to get a certain note, is it not terribly disconcerting to then have to put them down in a different place - or does the composer trick you into putting them in the right/wrong place by what is printed on the page ?

............. if you see what I mean

anyway, looking forward to a taxing T

Comment

a-ha! I didn't know that - perhaps something one would only appreciate when attending a performance.

Scordatura it is.

Thing is, if one is so used to putting one's fingers down in a certain place to get a certain note, is it not terribly disconcerting to then have to put them down in a different place - or does the composer trick you into putting them in the right/wrong place by what is printed on the page ?

............. if you see what I mean

anyway, looking forward to a taxing T

I do see what you mean - but the ability of professional musicians to transpose etc never ceases to amaze me. Like an accompanist who has to be able to transpose what he's reading up or down to suit the singer...

Yes, I recall a couple of live Mahler 4s where the leader had a spare chair in front of him with the 'alternative' violin sitting on it, waiting to be used...

Time for T... so, this T is involved with geometrical, autumnal and pluvious horticulture...

Comment

still on the subject of transposing, if I have my facts correct, as a trombonist you are playing a transposing instrument - you see and play a C but we hear a B flat

and are you not playing from several clefs, bass, tenor, alto ?

can't quite get my head round that

there again, as a pianist I play from two clefs simultaneously, so I guess it is something that becomes automatic

Comment

still on the subject of transposing, if I have my facts correct, as a trombonist you are playing a transposing instrument - you see and play a C but we hear a B flat

and are you not playing from several clefs, bass, tenor, alto ?

there again, as a pianist I play from two clefs simultaneously, so I guess it is something that becomes automatic
                              Yes to the latter.. But as regards the trombone, I am so very amateur (and did most of my early playing in a concert band) that the bass clef is really all I can read. In my forays into orchestral music, which is normally in the tenor clef, I've had to copy out the part laboriously into the bass clef...

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                                Time for T... so, this T is involved with geometrical, autumnal and pluvious horticulture...
                                jardin sous la pluie - Tebussy

Comment

Working...
                                X