X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello. All very quiet on here today, I thought you would have got further than an N by now (which I will have a look at in a minute) Not so quiet here, quite a conveyor belt of weddings and Church bells have been pealing out continuously. Lovely sound as it floats across the fields. I've been down by the river with some friends but, due to lack of rain, it's terribly low.

Comment

'Low' being the answer to the last-but-one question, as it happens...
      I'm not giving anything away when I say that the famous son of Norfolk referred to in N is not yours truly. although I was born there on account of there not being enough beds in the local hospitals in East Suffolk. Funny how little things change.....
      The weather is gorgeous here, but, like you, we've had precious little rain of late. The daffodils seemed to start wilting almost as soon as they'd bloomed.

Comment

Re rain. We only had in March a quarter of the average rainful (just over 14mm) and now, in April, so far we have just had 5mm (the monthly averages for March and April are each over 50mm) This is prime beef rearing country because normally what we grow best is lovely grass for lovely cattle to munch on! (very poor soil, only good for oats or barley) so no rain = no grass so as you can imagine we are praying for it. I used to go to Norfolk to see aged aunt, funny little place called South Creake not far from Fakenham.

Comment

N=Nelson, perhaps

Admiral Lord Nelson, born in Norfolk
          Josh Nelson, Chris Nelson, Nelson Freire - all pianists but it was the second who made the album WELL OF GOOD HOPE

A bit lost on the last Nelson.

Comment

Nelson Eddy, Singer. Song of the Mounties in Rose Marie, in which, of course he played a Mountie
            Last edited by Guest; 23-04-11, 16:50.

Comment

Not, no, it cannot be Leslie Nielson whoi as in THE LAW ENFORCER

It must be Nelson Eddy who played a mountie in one film or another.

Comment

Nelson Freire was born in "Good Hope" - whatever that is in Brazilian portugoose.... Boa Esperança??

Comment

Originally posted by Angle View Post
                  It must be Nelson Eddy who played a mountie in one film or another.
                  Ahem! Angle, look at the post before yours

Until Ofca gets back I think both you and vint could possibly have the right pianist?

Comment

Well, now I look deeper, Nelson Freire was born in the CITY of ! Good Hope in Brazil. And there was I thinking of The CAPE of GH which is far from Brazil. This is one of those clues which seems to have two different solutions.

Sounds as if you are having a good day, Anna, while here, the sun has disappeared behind heavy cloud and the air has cooled. Feels just like the approach of rain to me.

Is Caliban napping, Mercia entertaining, Rubbernecker cycling and Vinteuil just hovering ?

Comment

Sounds as if you are having a good day, Anna, while here, the sun has disappeared behind heavy cloud and the air has cooled. Feels just like the approach of rain to me.
                      A good day indeed Angle, although feeling rather hot and sultry at the moment. It could well be that the three of us each have one correct answer! Which would be rather odd.
                      Last edited by Guest; 23-04-11, 17:09. Reason: brain fade

Comment

Rubbernecker cycling ?
                        Working (at a newspaper office) sadly

Also hovering, but definitely napping as regards Nelson. Well done.

Comment

There was always Ricky Nelson..............

Comment

Well done re Nelson - I'm just back from a megasnoozle

Not enough rain in March???

We had feet of snow in Nov/Dec and much rain in February, what more do these grasslands need??

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              Not enough rain in March??? We had feet of snow in Nov/Dec and much rain in February, what more do these grasslands need??
                              Basically, my dear Am51, (and I do realise there are not herds of Aberdeen Angus grazing in Norf Lunnon) if there ain't enough grass to supply you with endless fillet steak from prime rumps the farmers have to resort to feeding them silage or hay early and, if there ain't enough grass, there ain't enough silage or hay for the following year. I sometimes wonder where you soft Londoners think your meat comes from?

Comment

Waitrose?

Comment

Working...
                                X