This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
    Sean is nowhere near as funny, or likeable, as Jack in 'Will and Grace'. Sally has two daughters, one of whom is an airhead fashion model and the other a confused practising-Christian-cum-lesbian. See how long it takes you to sort them out!
    Never seen Will & Grace. Sally's daughter goes out with Tod's brother, so I've sussed that out. Why, when Kevin and Sally obviously so love each other it all fell apart? Obviously (she says to herself) so as they can spin the story out!! Blimey O'Reilly, I am hooked already!!

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      Such as my unaccountable devotion to the man in the pork pie hat?

Only joking. Thanks for the explanation Caliban because, I see there are two episodes on tonight which I fear I will have to watch.

Sean seems very loveable but a little too stereotyped, limp wrists et al, I thought that had more of less died out in portrayal of gay men? Speaking of which, are there also lesbians in Weatherfield?
      Oh Anna! Toot toot!!

Yes Sean is rather pantomime gay...

And yes - Fizz and Toadie... if I may twist your phrase from another context, Am51: why, they could almost be sisters...

And Ofca - you are right about the unnaccountable nature of devotion in real life... it's just that the soaps push it to the limit!!
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        Sally's daughter goes out with Tod's brother
        ...another of life's great mysteries. Kevin fathered a child (Jack) while having an affair with Molly, who was married to Tyrone (she died in the tram crash), and Tyrone is Kevin's partner in the garage. Like the meerkat says: simples!

Comment

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
          ...another of life's great mysteries. Kevin fathered a child (Jack) while having an affair with Molly, who was married to Tyrone (she died in the tram crash), and Tyrone is Kevin's partner in the garage. Like the meerkat says: simples!
          Thanks Ofca, all is clear now! But, if I can further ask just one more final thing (just so as to get up to speed) about Roy and Hayley (Tracey?) there was implied in one episode gender issues, so he/she was/is a transsexual? That confused me. So did Roy fall in love with Arthur who turned into Martha?

Comment

Hayley was a chap. (Roy has known for a long time). I suspected as much long before Roy found out, because she seemed to know almost as much as he did about the propulsion units of public transport vehicles in the Greater Manchester area. Roy's a lovely (as against loveable) character.

Comment

I wasn't a Coronation Street person and I don't really want to become one, but all this chat is arousing interest. You talk as if you know them - what a select crowd you all know.

Won't someone set a Q?

I am beginning to develop withdrawal symptoms/

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                One of my mother's favourites, usually commenting on 'a big girl' in an ill-tailored dress, usually worn to disguise her ample figure, was "She's like a sack o' muck, tied loose"!
                she was obviously quoting Napoleon's dismissal of Talleyrand - "Tenez, vous êtes de la merde dans un bas de soie !" ( "Sh*t in a silk stocking... ") ...

Comment

Anna - are all agreed that antongould entirely deserves to set Q (or R, at his election I think)... Still, this bank holiday banter is entirely appropriate to the day, pending the next question!

And look out for my favourite Corrie character - big Eileen (mother of Todd). Her one liners, when she's given a bit of a story line, are terrific. Camp Sean (Shaun?) lodges with her.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

And look out for my favourite Corrie character - .
                    This is all very well - but you are not going to claim that any of these characters are up there with Albert Tatlock - Minnie Caldwell - Ena Sharples - Annie Walker....

The one recent glory was that "I say, I say" character [Fred: Elliot] - but - really - you can't defend yourselves against the charge that Everything Changes and Everything Gets Worse....
                    Last edited by vinteuil; 25-04-11, 15:23.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      This is all very well - but you are not going to claim that any of these characters are up there with Albert Tatlock - Minnie Caldwell - Ena Sharples - Annie Walker....

The one recent glory was that "I say, I say" butcher character - but - really - you can't defend yourselves against the charge that Everything Changes and Everything Gets Worse....
                      All before my time... except Fred Elliott, I say except Fred Elliott... Great turn from the actually very posh John Savident (complicated man: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2561963.stm )

The only other great turn I recall was from Roy Barraclough, Les Dawson's erstwhile sidekick, as the slightly sleazy gossip Alec Gilroy

Comment

The same actress, wonderful Sue Cleaver, played Glenda in Dinner Ladies and excelled herself when she was unable to get, desparately in need, during the futile attempt to get a long ladder free from blocking the door.

She couldn't duck under or climb over the ladder because of "the staples" inserted during her recent bladder operation. She declined the use of a bucket, too.

Apart from Dolly and Jean (the one with the hips), both ex-Corrie, she was the best thing in the show. Sadly, there are to be no more series of th very funny show.

Comment

Anna - are all agreed that antongould entirely deserves to set Q (or R, at his election I think)... Still, this bank holiday banter is entirely appropriate to the day, pending the next question!
                          Whatever you say Ducks! You know I cannot resist any suggestion you make to me I think he did get the John Piper and some other connection (I dunno, it seems ages ago now and Kevin and Sally are worrying me. That trip to Gay Paree will all end in tears for her!) I did think of setting a Q but it would have been so easy, so we await anton.

Actually, I've really enjoyed the Corrie chat. I feel that a whole new world is opening up before me ..........

Comment

Alright give me half an hour..........

Comment

All before my time... except Fred Elliott, I say except Fred Elliott... Great turn from the actually very posh John Savident (complicated man: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2561963.stm )

The only other great turn I recall was from Roy Barraclough, Les Dawson's erstwhile sidekick, as the slightly sleazy gossip Alec Gilroy
                              Your wish is my command ....

Loosen your stays, make yourself comfy and enjoy sheer genius ....

Les & Roy as tea room ladies! Thanks boys for the many hours of entertainment you provided. RIP Les. It's a great pity these gems are not available on com...

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                                Your wish is my command ....

Loosen your stays, make yourself comfy and enjoy sheer genius ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT31pdxShHw
                                Absolute perfection!!

Comment

Working...
                                X