X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Angle View Post
    Isn't Anton up yet?
    I've been up for hours and to the Scottish Border and back with Mr. Rossini's BAL choice. It can't be me to set Q/R after my Owen for O and Pink for Piper complete and utter failures - is it not Anna to a wider audience?
    Last edited by antongould; 25-04-11, 12:32. Reason: Has been

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      It was perfect. Also her response when chubby Tyrone orders "Meat and potato pie and chips please":

"Yes you don't look a salad type. Sit."

My maternal grandparents were from Yorkshire, many childhood holidays were spent up there, and white-haired battleaxes like that, no strangers to the trenchant put-down, were to be found among my granny's friends (I remember Mrs Steel and Mrs Metric ) - so it's a bit of a nostalgia-fest for me.

Anna, it's quite a good week to start - assuming you watched the one from Monday 18th... new plot with Stephanie Coles's character and her son, the enigmatic oddball with a heart of gold Roy (proprietor with his transexual wife Hayley of Roy's Rolls )... and the delicate matter of the sleazy undergarment merchant who attempted to rape the fragrant Maria... The wrangling between Kevin and Ofca's favourite Sally ("I'd rather be driven by Stevie Wonder" )... All sorts of fun.
      My mother was of a similar ilk and had sundry friends who could turn many a male to stone with a glance.

One of my mother's favourites, usually commenting on 'a big girl' in an ill-tailored dress, usually worn to disguise her ample figure, was "She's like a sack o' muck, tied loose"!

It used to get to me sunnink shocking, not that I was the one wearing the dress (well not that she knew anyway )

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        My mother was of a similar ilk and had sundry friends who could turn many a male to stone with a glance.

One of my mother's favourites, usually commenting on 'a big girl' in an ill-tailored dress, usually worn to disguise her ample figure, was "She's like a sack o' muck, tied loose"!

It used to get to me sunnink shocking, not that I was the one wearing the dress (well not that she knew anyway )

Sounds very similar!!! One of granny's favourites, if she spied a woman putting it on a bit à la 'mutton dressed as lamb':

"Ooooh help, look at her: all fur coat, no knickers." !
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Sounds very similar!!! One of granny's favourites, if she spied a woman putting it on a bit à la 'mutton dressed as lamb':

"Ooooh help, look at her: all fur coat, no knickers." !
          "Queen Anne front, Mary Ann back", "Red hat and no breakfast" - I wonder who wrote their stuff?

Comment

Crackers, isnt it! I think Alan Bennett has something to do with it...

What does "Red hat and no breakfast" mean???!??!?! Nameless condemnation of some perceived pretension or failing, I suppose!

Comment

Is this the Corrie thread? Now, I cannot believe that I have just watched the omnibus edition on ITV2 after that little taster this morning. I thought Sean and his ex was rather sweet at the end.

I think I am getting the plot (normally I am renowned for losing it) but can someone explain, in a short paragraph, the background to the John/Colin Fishlock story?

Comment

The adverts are a pain, I mute and ignore.... Didn't even notice the Waitrose ad. Seems most unlikely
                There are many fewer adverts if you watch on the ITV Player.

Comment

Crackers, isnt it! I think Alan Bennett has something to do with it...

What does "Red hat and no breakfast" mean???!??!?! Nameless condemnation of some perceived pretension or failing, I suppose!
                  My mother & her crowd were around long before Mr Bennett took to writing - she would have told him off for "thinking he's sooooo clever, making mock of good people". However, Miss Wood might have got under her guard, being a person of the female persuasion

I always took it to mean some sort of giddy kipper who, after spending her housekeeping on a red hat that she'd always coveted, found that she had no money left for breakfast. It might also be a comment on a wilful flibbertygibbet who did so regularly, keeping her family breakfastless so that she could appear a la mode in town. It might also mean what my mother reserved as the ultimate disapproving phrase for a woman "who is no better than she ought to be".

Don't ask. Fifty-nine years of cogitating have taken me no nearer to that particular heart of darkness You had to take in the full fold of the arms, the shake of the head tilted everso slightly backwards and eyes rolled heavenwards! And what Adrian Mole and Sue Townsend have taught us are called 'thinned lips'.

My mother had little truck with giddy kippers and flibbertygibbets

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    Is this the Corrie thread? Now, I cannot believe that I have just watched the omnibus edition on ITV2 after that little taster this morning. I thought Sean and his ex was rather sweet at the end.

I think I am getting the plot (normally I am renowned for losing it) but can someone explain, in a short paragraph, the background to the John/Colin Fishlock story?
                    I had to ask my soap-expert auntie the same question some weeks back when coming back to it after a break. it's the silliest plot but basically the character is an ex-teacher who fell for a student, one of the girls, and held her hostage. When he was released (this is all very approximate you understand - do correct me, Ofca) someone he knew called Colin FishWICK died and John took his identity in order to be able to teach again.. and it keeps revisiting him as the real Fishwick mère expired, he had to go to the funeral; there is a will; plus he's killed a couple of other people along the way... and he then had a total melt-down from which he was starting to recover... Daft plot, in my opinion.

Carrot top Fizz is unaccountably devoted to him.

Equally unaccountable is how Fizz's equally ginger brother Chesney () with manky teeth and a funny face managed to hook such a very pretty young girlfriend... I can only think he has a huge...

...reserve of humorous anecdotes. Lucky girl.

Comment

Well, I've just watched my first ever episode of Corrie! Actually, hate to admit this, but I enjoyed it. I liked Roy and the very camp Sean and Stephanie Cole was very good Perhaps I too might become a regular viewer?
                      Except for the names of the characters, I made a virtually identical confession to the lady wife some 16 years ago (I'd been recording the lunchtime repeats and watching them while she was out.) When I finally owned up, it took all of 3 episodes for her initially sniffy reaction to become one of acute disappointment when I cruelly suggested that I might not want to carry on watching.

Comment

I had to ask my soap-expert auntie the same question some weeks back when coming back to it after a break. it's the silliest plot but basically the character is an ex-teacher who fell for a student, one of the girls, and held her hostage. When he was released (this is all very approximate you understand - do correct me, Ofca) someone he knew called Colin FishWICK died and John took his identity in order to be able to teach again.. and it keeps revisiting him as the real Fishwick mère expired, he had to go to the funeral; there is a will; plus he's killed a couple of other people along the way... and he then had a total melt-down from which he was starting to recover... Daft plot, in my opinion.

Equally unaccountable is how Fizz's equally ginger brother Chesney () with manky teeth and a funny face managed to hook such a very pretty young girlfriend... I can only think he has a huge...

That's a pretty good analysis, I would say. Surely unaccountable devotion is the mainspring of many a situation not only in soaps but also in real life?

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                          My mother & her crowd were around long before Mr Bennett took to writing - she would have told him off for "thinking he's sooooo clever, making mock of good people". However, Miss Wood might have got under her guard, being a person of the female persuasion

I always took it to mean some sort of giddy kipper who, after spending her housekeeping on a red hat that she'd always coveted, found that she had no money left for breakfast. It might also be a comment on a wilful flibbertygibbet who did so regularly, keeping her family breakfastless so that she could appear a la mode in town. It might also mean what my mother reserved as the ultimate disapproving phrase for a woman "who is no better than she ought to be".

Don't ask. Fifty-nine years of cogitating have taken me no nearer to that particular heart of darkness You had to take in the full fold of the arms, the shake of the head tilted everso slightly backwards and eyes rolled heavenwards! And what Adrian Mole and Sue Townsend have taught us are called 'thinned lips'.

My mother had little truck with giddy kippers and flibbertygibbets
                          yes Alan B came long after my granny had unleashed the one liners on the world too...

Come to think of it, I wonder if it isn't bound up with music hall etc... You can hear the Max Millers etc using that sort of folk one-liner on stage... but then again, did they get them (like Bennett and Wood and Peter Kay later) from overhearing them in real life. It's a northern mystery - I think it's just a long tradition of colourful metaphoric conversation...

Just remembered another - if she saw a strict looking pursed-lip sort of stuck up lady:

"Oooh help, straight-backed ones ninepence" !!

Comment

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
                            That's a pretty good analysis, I would say. Surely unaccountable devotion is the mainspring of many a situation not only in soaps but also in real life?
                            Such as my unaccountable devotion to the man in the pork pie hat?

Only joking. Thanks for the explanation Caliban because, I see there are two episodes on tonight which I fear I will have to watch.

Sean seems very loveable but a little too stereotyped, limp wrists et al, I thought that had more of less died out in portrayal of gay men? Speaking of which, are there also lesbians in Weatherfield?

Comment

I was hoping that Chesney might have grown up a bit now but he looks exactly the same as he did aeons ago. What was the name of the dog he was devoted to in the Battersby household?

I'm devoted to the Battersbys because the actor who played Les B comes from the same town as me. He was recently in court cos he tried to cause his wife to cross the central reservation in her car in order to kill them both. It's soooo close to a standard Corrie breakout plot that I was quite stunned initially when I read it.

Poor bloke.

Has anyone else noticed the similarity between Toadie from Neighbours and Fizz from Corrie?

Fizz

Toadie

Separated at birth, I reckon

Comment

Sean seems very loveable but a little too stereotyped, limp wrists et al, I thought that had more of less died out in portrayal of gay men? Speaking of which, are there also lesbians in Weatherfield?
                                Sean is nowhere near as funny, or likeable, as Jack in 'Will and Grace'. Sally has two daughters, one of whom is an airhead fashion model and the other a confused practising-Christian-cum-lesbian. See how long it takes you to sort them out!

Comment

Working...
                                X