X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    ROBERT Schumann of course!!!
    I have to be absent now. Personally I think it should be between vinteuil and Anna for an "S"...
    Well, I didn't get any of it right and you and vinteuil both got a Robert so it's between the two of you to decide who sets the next question.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      Well, I didn't get any of it right and you [Caliban] and vinteuil both got a Robert so it's between the two of you to decide who sets the next question.
      ... if Caliban is agreeable - I can probably summon up an S in the next hour....

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        ... if Caliban is agreeable - I can probably summon up an S in the next hour....
        Vints, we have checked in at the same time. Delighted my dear fellow, delighted - go ahead!

Morning Anna, thanks! I thought you deserved a shot for your hard work yesterday!

Hope all had a pleasant Easter weekend. Did any Welsh lambs find a happy consummation in your kitchen Anna?
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

okely-dokely...

S

Probably not a vintage one, but anyway - of the three, the most famous was the son of a musician born in 1685 - the least famous a police chief who helped the young Verdi - and the other one, even if something of an add-on, gave Vienna the waltz while influencing Mozart, which is after all something special.

Comment

Not making much headway here... The police chief who helped Verdi was a "T" and I can't connect any "S"s for the moment for the other two...

A puzzle, Monsieur Vinteuil. I must go out now, maybe I shall return to a solution from someone. I think amateur51 is too busy baiting the Christians north of the border...
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Clarification, Vinteuil, please:

which was born in 1685, the father or the son ?

Comment

Tentatively :

Vicente Martin y Soler (1754-1806) included a waltz in his opera “Una cosa rara” which caught the attention of Mozart, leading him to include a waltz in Don Giovanni.

Temistocle Solera wrote the lyrics for Va piensero but what police connections. I think I am up the wrong tree, here

I do not know the names of all of Bach’s children but since JS was born in 1685, I am assuming that S is also one of them

Comment

Temistocle Solera wrote the lyrics for Nabucco and was a secret courier for Napoleon III and re-organised the Egyptian police

Comment

Crikey, Angle, I'm reet impressed.

I've been struggling under the delusion that vinteuil is having a merry prank and the answer is Strauss but I can't make it fit

No change there then

Comment

Angle - no need to be tentative - you're winning here!

Martin y Soler ("something of an add on") in Una Cosa Rara ("some thing special") not only gave Mozart that tune in Don Giovanni - but also introduced the waltz to the Viennese

Temistocle Solera provided librettos for Oberto, Nabucco, i Lombardi, Attila etc - he was superintendent of police against brigandage in Basilicata, chief of police in several cities, and in charge of organizing the police for the Khedive of Egypt...

The other Soler is the most famous one...
                      Last edited by vinteuil; 26-04-11, 13:02.

Comment

and the subliminal clue - "not a vintage" - solera...

Comment

Bravo Angle!

Comment

Antonio Soler's father Mateo was born in 1685.

Comment

Antonio Francisco Javier José Soler Ramos usually known as Antonio Soler? But born 1729

Am I being thick ?

Yes, I got caught up with Sebastian for a while and cannot now remember how I found myself on the Soler route. Are you having a day off, Caliban? From work, I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Angle View Post
                                Antonio Francisco Javier José Soler Ramos usually known as Antonio Soler? But born 1729

As Ofca indicates, Antonio's father was born in 1685 - Mateo Soler, military musician of the Regimento de Numancia.

1685 was of course a red-herring date....

Comment

Working...
                                X