X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
    Such modesty!
    I've decided it's time to take my leave for good.
    I'm not quick enough to get the answers, and more often than not I don't even get the jokes.
    Still, it was fun for quite a while.
    Best wishes.
    Noooo please don't go Ofca.

With me aboard you'll always have a comfortable cushion between you and quizzing ignominy

Comment

If Ofca is going because we is silly then I have to say. OFCA, YOU ARE ALSO SILLY. Come here and give us as a hug, you big girls blouse!

Comment

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
        Such modesty!
        I've decided it's time to take my leave for good.
        I'm not quick enough to get the answers, and more often than not I don't even get the jokes.
        Still, it was fun for quite a while.
        Best wishes.
        No way! Please don't go Ofca, why chuck it in?! Just keep trolling by and shove your oar in as and when you feel like it! I've not been able to tackle any questions this week, doesn't mean one won't come along one happens to know... And in the meantime, who will tip us off about key Corrie developments???!

PS - Rubbers, right of course about The Champions I'm so pleased you were able to spare Ms Bastedo any fevered reminiscences....
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
          I think you mean The Champions, o oafish one. And, as it happens, I have recently met Ms. Bastedo, sharing as we do, a mutual friend. I however refrained from disburthening myself to her of my childhood onanistic fantasies.

I was the best man at Ms Bastedo's sister's husband's brother's wedding, innit

[does that attract a special taxation code? ]

Comment

May I join the chorus asking Ofca to stay. He has made some good contributions. It would be a pity to lose him.

Me too, Caliban. As Anna thought earlier, I often lurk around the board, not making any contribution but just enjoying the banter and the guesses. It isn't getting every or any solution; it is just such a friendly group.

And as for Amateur51, I have sent him another download link in a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Angle View Post
              it is just such a friendly group.

I'm sure Ofca will be back in a few days, or even sooner, hopefully.

Anyway, here is an N that I had already prepared:

What N links a dead cellist, a living string quartet, and some input from Déodat de Séverac?

(I am turning in, now, so this is one for the ghouls and nightowls...)

Comment

Somebody mentioned Ethel Smyth. Henry Reed created Dame Hilda Tablet with both her and Elizabeth Lutyens in mind. Ethel was not please, not one bit, but the plays which originated on the Third Programme were very funny indeed. Did you remember them?

The motto of Hilda's old school was displayed in wrought iron above the gates: "Forsan et haec olim meminisse juvabit" which, she said, might be roughly translated as "Your later life might be even worse".

Perhaps the most famous quote is, "By all means throw your voice at the note, but whatever you do, for God's sake miss it!" during a rehearsal with the star performer of her work.

Oh, for the Third Programme.

Comment

It is very good to see that Margaret now looks the other way. No-one else seems to have noticed.

Comment

May I join the chorus asking Ofca to stay. He has made some good contributions. It would be a pity to lose him.

Me too, Caliban. As Anna thought earlier, I often lurk around the board, not making any contribution but just enjoying the banter and the guesses. It isn't getting every or any solution; it is just such a friendly group.

And as for Amateur51, I have sent him another download link in a PM.
                    Cheers for all your help, Angle!

And I'm boggled to hear that you managed to embarass La Browne - I'd say there was a corking story there, one that we should all hear

As it happens, I own a wonderfully glittery piece of costume jewellery that once belonged to her and a pair of heart-shaped silver metal cufflinks with a pink stone in each, purportedly the property of her husband, Vincent Price. Wearing the latter gave me great confidence at City of London property development meetings, surrounded as I was by some very straight-shooting chaps in identical gents' suiting and utterly out of my depth

Comment

Somebody mentioned Ethel Smyth. Henry Reed created Dame Hilda Tablet with both her and Elizabeth Lutyens in mind. Ethel was not please, not one bit, but the plays which originated on the Third Programme were very funny indeed. Did you remember them?

The motto of Hilda's old school was displayed in wrought iron above the gates: "Forsan et haec olim meminisse juvabit" which, she said, might be roughly translated as "Your later life might be even worse".

Perhaps the most famous quote is, "By all means throw your voice at the note, but whatever you do, for God's sake miss it!" during a rehearsal with the star performer of her work.

Oh, for the Third Programme.
                      Salymap has mentioned her lasting affection for the Dame Hilda Tablet pieces on these boards, Angle

They sound to be a real treat

Comment

Good Night

I've never heard the Third!!

Comment

N is NAVARRA

Andre Navarra, cellist
                          The Navarra String Quartet
                          Déodat de Sévera completed 'Navarra', an unfinished work by Albeniz

I shall await approval before doing anything else but sleep.

Comment

N is NAVARRA

Andre Navarra, cellist
                            Déodat de Sévera completed 'Navarra', an unfinished work by Albeniz

Has to be right, I think

Happily keeping some Angle-like hours now the weekend's here...

Oh! I was asked a question earlier I haven't answered, about lunch. Let me look....

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

Where did this Alsatian dim summing take place, Caliban? Certainly not the Wonky in Wardour Steet whose greeting is just one word ... UPSTAIRS!!
                              I remember the old Wonky, is it still going? They trundle their dim sum round on carts, I never like that, the dumplings get rubbery. You don't want rubbery dumplings, do you Rubbery err Rubbers?!

No, I was taken to this place: http://www.chinesecricketclub.com/

Very delicious it was too.

Not quite as nice as my two favourite lunchtime dim sum places, as established after reasonably extensive testing over the years with a legal friend, a barrister (Anna - no - not a clerk ) who is also a dim sum fan. They are:

Royal China (Queensway): http://www2.royalchinagroup.biz/?cid=17

Hakkesan: http://w3.hakkasan.com/hanway-place

Comment

N is NAVARRA

Andre Navarra, cellist
                                Déodat de Séverac completed 'Navarra', an unfinished work by Albeniz

Well done, Angle. I'd like to think Ofca would be looking in just to note that it wasn't Mercia who popped up to bag that one!

Sleep on. O in your own time...

Comment

Working...
                                X