Here goes:

What O connects

a trip to Japan in sixteen minutes,
    a symphony of love in eight mystical devices, and
    Charles Piesse

Two elements are musical but the O is not,

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      You don't want rubbery dumplings, do you Rubbery err Rubbers?
      Cue Benny Hill doing his chinese number: "Oh, the dumprings are rubbry!"

my two favourite lunchtime dim sum places

Royal China (Queensway): http://www2.royalchinagroup.biz/?cid=17

Hakkesan: http://w3.hakkasan.com/hanway-place
      I would venture that these are out of the reach of most mortals, especially those 'living on benefits in god-forsaken parts of north London'. However, Caliban is known, on occasions, for his generosity...
      Last edited by Guest; 07-05-11, 11:19. Reason: tai-po

Comment

Originally posted by Angle View Post
        Here goes:

What O connects

a trip to Japan in sixteen minutes,
        a symphony of love in eight mystical devices, and
        Charles Piesse

Two elements are musical but the O is not,
        I knew about Charles Piesse classifying odours in perfume. The rest comes from google I'm afraid.
        The Song of Solomon, a Symphony of Spiritual Love in Eight Mystical Devices and Three Paraphrases, the ‘book’ being by Paul Roinard
        A Trip to Japan in Sixteen Minutes Conveyed to the Audience by a Succession of Odours was performed in NY.

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
          Cue Benny Hill doing his chinese number: "Oh, the dumprings are rubbry!"

Velly rubbery!!!!!

I would venture that these are out of the reach of most mortals, especially those 'living on benefits on god-forsaken parts of North London'. However, Caliban is known, on occasions, for his generosity...
          Oh I don't know - they look very snazzy but for dim sum at lunchtime, they are remarkably good value as long as you don't go crazy with cocktails and saké...

Am retiring to bed now, was awoken after 3 hours sleep with an urgent new work thing
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

First rate, Anna. I though it might take a little longer than that.

Perhaps before tackling P, we should al spare a thought for Caliban deprived of sleep and, today, of what sounds like mouth-watering dim sum.

Over to you, with best wishes.

PS The O in question was ODOUR

Comment

Originally posted by Angle View Post
              First rate, Anna. I though it might take a little longer than that.

Perhaps before tackling P, we should al spare a thought for Caliban deprived of sleep and, today, of what sounds like mouth-watering dim sum.

Over to you, with best wishes.
              Poor Caliban! I was woken by thunder and torrential rain this morning. I'll be back with a P once I've finished looking at those menus! I think that O was very hard to solve.

Comment

Fragrantly done, Anna. I was nowhere with that one!

Sorry to hear your sleep has been shattered, Caliban. Well... come to think of it, I'm more sorry for the client who will no doubt be facing a substantial 'uplift' on your normally fat fees

Comment

Fragrantly done, Anna. I was nowhere with that one!

Sorry to hear your sleep has been shattered, Caliban. Well... come to think of it, I'm more sorry for the client who will no doubt be facing a substantial 'uplift' on your normally fat fees
                  They can afford it

But thank you. I think.

And certainly, thanks to Anna and Angle for their undiluted sympathy!
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

OK, quick and easy one

What P could lead you in a solitary way to Sir Gawain and someone's bride?

Edit: As I have to go offline in half an hour (1.30) can I throw George Michael in? The third element of the original clue is musical, the others are not
                    Last edited by Guest; 07-05-11, 13:01. Reason: more clues

Comment

Not sure if anyone is playing today ...... I have to leave the house in 20 mins and will be away for just over an hour, so I did add another clue

Comment

I remember the old Wonky, is it still going? They trundle their dim sum round on carts, I never like that, the dumplings get rubbery. You don't want rubbery dumplings, do you Rubbery err Rubbers?!

No, I was taken to this place: http://www.chinesecricketclub.com/

Very delicious it was too.

Not quite as nice as my two favourite lunchtime dim sum places, as established after reasonably extensive testing over the years with a legal friend, a barrister (Anna - no - not a clerk ) who is also a dim sum fan. They are:

Royal China (Queensway): http://www2.royalchinagroup.biz/?cid=17

Hakkesan: http://w3.hakkasan.com/hanway-place

Mmmmm love dim sum, me - I know Royal China in Baker Street too but Hakkasan does seem to be outside my budget. I'll just have to go back on the game

The Wonky goeth still but I've never tried their dim sum. Many moons ago when it was in its original location I popped in for a cheap lunch. When payment time came I was aghast to find that while I had funds for the meal, I didn't have enough for the tip so I explained this to my waiter who hurled some Cantonese invective at me at such speed & volume that I swear that my hair acquired a new parting

I understood not one word of Cantonese but I did spot the "phucque off" hidden amongst it all

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                          When payment time came I was aghast to find that while I had funds for the meal, I didn't have enough for the tip so I explained this to my waiter who hurled some Cantonese invective at me
                          Perhaps he took offence when you said: "I only want to tip you"

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                            Not sure if anyone is playing today .....
                            I'm not playin', just sittin' patiently on me hands, and observin'...

Comment

Phew, only just got back, major chaos, major gas leak, major road blocks! And once again, we are talking about food, I'm not a huge dim sum fan but could be tempted by those menus. Shall I proffer another clue?

Comment

What P could lead you in a solitary way to Sir Gawain and someone's bride?

Edit: As I have to go offline in half an hour (1.30) can I throw George Michael in? The third element of the original clue is musical, the others are not

Patience was Bunthorne's Bride by G&S
                                George Michael made an album called 'Patience'
                                'Patience' is also the title of a 14th century poem thought to be from the same pen as 'Sir Gawain and the Green Knight'

Comment

Working...
                                X