X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Julian Bream?

Comment

Yep. You're done.

Thank goodness we didn't have to go this way http://www.nocturnal-music.co.uk/

Or this way http://www.myspace.com/nocturnalemissionsofficial or similar!

Over to you now.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia
        I think my only quibble with that question would be that all 3 solutions should have had nocturnal in them. Die Fledermaus is nocturnal only by association if you see what I mean. But maybe I'm wrong about that, since it is quite an obvious connection.
        Yes - I accept that. Not quite sure of the rules myself - just finding my way. Do we have fouls with penalties?

Comment

Also, are there time limits? One per day, one per week, etc?

Comment

I think the longest it's taken to solve a question is 48 hours, the quickest around 2 minutes, sometimes when a lot of people are joining in there have been around half a dozen solved in a day. I have to agree with mercia about Fledermaus being an obscure clue as (to me at least) was 'dedicated player' Still, super-sleuth mercia got there in the end!

Comment

I'm probably going to break those rules now

an O to connect

a GI with the Philadelphia
              dactylic hexameters in 15 books
              a "final" work dedicated to Prokofiev

3 pieces of music

Comment

Maybe Ovid?

Comment

i feel that Metamorphoses is relevant somehow, but the obvious one, Britten's from 1951, was not dedicated to Prokofiev!

Comment

Ah ....

Oboe!

Comment

Poulenc's oboe sonata is dedicated to Prokofiev. One of the movements may be the last piece which Poulenc wrote.

Comment

John de Lancie - Strauss Oboe concerto , or the piece by Francaix "L'Horloge de Flore". Maybe more. de Lancie was the oboist in the Philadelphia Orchestra, and met Strauss during the war when he was a soldier.

So the most obvious to me - Ormandy - wasn't in there at all!

PS: and if we follow the rules as you've explained them to me it probably has to be the Strauss piece. Not sure now about the Britten - is "oboe" in the title?

Comment

Mercia

No - hang in there. Now I've got a feel for it I might set a much easier one next time. You might want to hold back if it's too easy, to let others have a go, but it'd be a shame to lose you altogether.

Comment

P

Rubinstein

Mellifluous rock band

A musical instrument

Comment

Any chance of a clue for the lost and lonely?

Comment

Lose Mercia? No, no, no.

Here I am, home again after an exhausting week and I find that Mercia is retiring?? To bed ? At this time of day ? With the sun shining and everything going his way ?

As for a clue, AntonG, I have come in as the curtain descends on the O and I await, as I unpack, the P. The blessed P, again, already?

Comment

Working...
                                X