X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    Shostakovich 1st, F min.
    Vivaldi 4 Seasons.

Yes to Vivaldi, close with DSCH1... It's F major I was after. Think for which teenager, rather than by which teenager...
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Haydn Dream Quartet

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Because toot-toot Anna knows me too well

It is F major
        Ooh, I say!! I got it right! Would the teenager be by our favourite composer, Tchaikovsky?

Comment

Shostakovich Piano Conc. 2 for Maxim

Comment

Yup to both mercia!

But G for you Anna!

What was the Field prog like?

PS To pull it together for ease of reference:

Beethoven's Pastoral (and particularly its last movement, the Shepherd's Song of Thanksgiving after the storm), Haydn's "Dream" Quartet No. 40, Op. 50, No. 5, Shostakovich's 2nd Piano Concerto (for his 19 year old son Maxim) and "Autumn" from the Four Seasons, are all in F major
            Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 26-10-11, 22:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Yup to both mercia! But G for you Anna! What was the Field prog like?
              No, not G for me, I only got the Pastoral, just a lucky guess, mercia has it (I will be offline shortly until late tomorrow) Sid Field programme was ok, not great, but I hadn't heard of him and no surviving footage to speak of so all heresay. Programme on later with Michael Grade about music hall, repeat, seen it, that's more interesting I think.

Comment

why don't we wait till Anna returns
                we haven't had a lovely Anna question for such a long time

as many as are of that opinion say "aye", to the contrary "noe" .. I think the ayes have it, the ayes have it ...............order! order!
                Last edited by mercia; 27-10-11, 08:33.

Comment

seems like a plan stan

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    No, not G for me, I only got the Pastoral, just a lucky guess, mercia has it (I will be offline shortly until late tomorrow) Sid Field programme was ok, not great, but I hadn't heard of him and no surviving footage to speak of so all heresay. Programme on later with Michael Grade about music hall, repeat, seen it, that's more interesting I think.
                    I'll get to see the Sid Field programme a bit later but I offer up this slice of a Bob Monkhouse programme which contains a valuable glimpse of his style. Apols if it was used in the programme ...

1997 program about the history of camp humour. Presented by Bob Monkhouse, with Julian Clary, John Inman, Harry Enfield, Matthew Kelly, Paul Vaughan and Chri...

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                      why don't we wait till Anna returns
                      we haven't had a lovely Anna question for such a long time

as many as are of that opinion say "aye", to the contrary "noe" .. I think the ayes have it, the ayes have it ...............order! order!
                      Aye'm inclined to agree. Anna went to the heart of the matter by rumbling the "F".

Comment

Are you sure it's me? I was just playing around, it's a long time since I had one of those special Toot-Toot moments with Caliban behind the engine shed!

It's a long time since I set one and I'll be offline in a minute until sometime after lunch, so here we go with something rather hastily cobbled together:

A tri-part puzzle, leading to one G word

I could put it in a nutshell
                        But perhaps we should walk in a certain manner while urging others to run while his headgear is right
                        Railways and Victorian Valhalla with a much loved poet
                        Last edited by Guest; 27-10-11, 12:30.

Comment

well I can find a G to cover "in a nutshell" and "walk in a certain manner"
                          and a different G for "Victorian Valhalla"
                          but that's all so far
                          great question though

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                            Are you sure it's me? I was just playing around, it's a long time since I had one of those special Toot-Toot moments with Caliban behind the engine shed!

It's a long time since I set one and I'll be offline in a minute until sometime after lunch, so here we go with something rather hastily cobbled together:

A tri-part puzzle, leading to one G word

I could put it in a nutshell
                            But perhaps we should walk in a certain manner while urging others to run while his headgear is right
                            Railways and Victorian Valhalla with a much loved poet
                            Love it!

No idea of the answer, but love it !!

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                              well I can find a G to cover "in a nutshell" and "walk in a certain manner"
                              and a different G for "Victorian Valhalla"
                              but that's all so far
                              great question though
                              Aha! The nutshell, taken at face value, is a bit of a red herring, look inside!
                              The Railways or Valhalla, well go and ask Karl Marx or Joan Hunter Dunn.

It's tri-part but the trio lead to one G word, shared by the three.

Comment

so Percy Grainger is a red herring
                                but Highgate Cemetery and John Betjeman are not
                                I think

Comment

Working...
                                X