This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    I've always felt Petty France to have been an unfortunate misnomer for a place.
    There's a Petty Wales too, in Tower Hamlets.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      There's a Petty Wales too, in Tower Hamlets.
      Someone got the accents confused.

Comment

To confuse matters further, there's a district in Edinburgh called Little France.

Comment

Hello all,

A diminutive, somewhat childish, female officer who likes stroking the ship's cat = a petting petty petite Petty Officer - you forgot good-looking, ie pretty!

Regards Ant

Comment

Originally posted by Ant View Post
            Hello all,

A diminutive, somewhat childish, female officer who likes stroking the ship's cat = a petting petty petite Petty Officer - you forgot good-looking, ie pretty!

Regards Ant
            I knew my efforts hadn't been wasted - well done Ant and welcome - do you know Dec ?
            Last edited by mercia; 06-11-13, 20:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              I've always felt Petty France to have been an unfortunate misnomer for a place.
              I was assured by someone who owned it, that there was a quite well-known 78 labelled as being recorded in Petty, France (a town unknown to Michelin).

Comment

I'm not sure, but in the case of birthdays, the figure is always incorrect by one:-

If you were born on 25th November, 2011, today would be your 3rd birthday, even though you would be only 2 years of age.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                  I'm not sure, but in the case of birthdays, the figure is always incorrect by one:-

If you were born on 25th November, 2011, today would be your 3rd birthday, even though you would be only 2 years of age.
                  I suppose that this would depend upon whether one regards the word "birthday" as connoting "anniversary"...

Comment

Originally posted by mercia
                    I don't know whether this is extreme pedantry or just over-sensitivity, but over the weekend I found myself wincing every time Radio 3 told me they were celebrating Britten's 100th birthday - it was certainly the centenary of his birth - but is that the same thing ? [i.e. don't you have to be alive to have a birthday ? ]
                    I had thought as much myself - so it would have been fine for Ornstein, Carter and le Flem (as well as a handful of lesser-known composers) but hardly so for Britten.

Comment

Pronunciation guidance here for them wot needs it. (Who doesn't pronounce 'Moët' with the 't' sounding?! )

With its mongrel origins, regional variations and imported words, English contains many pitfalls for even its most eloquent speakers. Here's our brief guide to some of the language's most commonly mispronounced words

"...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I was sure that Plomer (William) would be pronounced Plummer until this past weekend

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          Pronunciation guidance here for them wot needs it. (Who doesn't pronounce 'Moët' with the 't' sounding?! )

With its mongrel origins, regional variations and imported words, English contains many pitfalls for even its most eloquent speakers. Here's our brief guide to some of the language's most commonly mispronounced words

Certain R3 presenters would be well served to take to heart the following advice:

"While everyone admires linguistic ability, you should restrain any desire to show off your skills by over-pronouncing foreign words."

"Generally, if foreign words are used in English conversation they are gently anglicised; guttural or phlegmatic consonants, trilled 'rs' and exaggerated glottal stops are unnecessary and obtrusive," it says.

Did anyone mention Katie Derham?

Comment

what's the "gently anglicised" of Lutoslawski then ?

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                              Certain R3 presenters would be well served to take to heart the following advice:

"While everyone admires linguistic ability, you should restrain any desire to show off your skills by over-pronouncing foreign words."

"Generally, if foreign words are used in English conversation they are gently anglicised; guttural or phlegmatic consonants, trilled 'rs' and exaggerated glottal stops are unnecessary and obtrusive," it says.

Did anyone mention Katie Derham?
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Anyony else here note Dave's taking the matter of a major cancer among men lying down yesterday. Not once, but twice, during PMQs he referred to "prostrate cancer".

Comment

Working...
                                X