This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mercia View Post
    I was sure that Plomer (William) would be pronounced Plummer until this past weekend
    How was it pronounced? Ploe-mer or Ploomer?

Lootoslavski? Is that gently anglicised?

I remember in French phonetics classes being told that no French sounds were exactly the same as English ones. We had to practise saying: 'Tintin est terrible' and making our t's [sic[ sound French not English ...
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Ploomer?
      by more than one person

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
        by more than one person
        I'd say that was correct. Not that I'm especially competent to judge.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Americanisms

Not wishing this article to descend into a never-ending debate about American versus British pronunciation, let's just say that both are correct in their own context.

That said, obviously 'aluminium' has a second, clearly pronounced 'i', the 'h' on 'herb' is anything but silent, and the 'de-' in 'defence' has only one 'e', not two.

Anything else is wrong, wrong, wrong.

... but they didn't mention 'schedule', the correct pronunciation of which is increasingly rare to hear, and that 'last', 'fast', 'path', 'bath', etc. have long 'a's!

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          Who doesn't pronounce 'Moët' with the 't' sounding?!
          Indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Word View Post

... but they didn't mention 'schedule', the correct pronunciation of which is increasingly rare to hear
            I have a 1951 edition of the Concise OED that says a shedyool is a list and skedyool is a timetable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              Not once, but twice, during PMQs he referred to "prostrate cancer".
              You'd be surprised how old that...let's call it a variant...actually is. From the OED:

1686 C. Peter Observ. Venereal Dis. viii. 65 The Prostrate Glandules being either eaten away, or too much relaxed, and so weakened by the continual Ulceration.

1742 J. Parsons Descr. Human Urin. Bladder 6 It..is often mistaken for the purulent Matter of an Ulcer in some of the Urinary Organs; or for some Weakness in the prostrate Gland, Vesiculæ Seminales.

Comment

... but they didn't mention... that 'last', 'fast', 'path', 'bath', etc. have long 'a's!...
                Not up here they don't!

Comment

Originally posted by Phileas View Post
                  I have a 1951 edition of the Concise OED that says a shedyool is a list and skedyool is a timetable.
                  Interesting .
                  The Pocket Oxford dictionary that I have to hand (sixth edition, 1978) only gives the 'sh-' pronunciation though it does mark the 'timetable' definition as being chiefly U.S.

Comment

Originally posted by jean View Post
                    Not up here they don't!

Comment

Indeed.
                      Apart from anything else, it makes saying "Moët et Chandon" much more euphonious (no unpleasant "eh eh" in the middle).

"...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        Apart from anything else, it makes saying "Moët et Chandon" much more euphonious (no unpleasant "eh eh" in the middle).

Be reasonable, who drinks Moët when The Widow is available? :whistle;

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                          Be reasonable, who drinks Moët when The Widow is available?

... I agree that Moët wd not be a first choice - but then neither, for me, wd Veuve Clicquot.

I wd suggest Ruinart or Jacquesson. Bollinger is nice, too...

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            ... I agree that Moët wd not be a first choice - but then neither , for me, wd Veuve Clicquot.

I wd suggest Ruinart or Jacquesson for starters. Bollinger is nice, too...
                            I'm a Billecart-Salmon kinda guy

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              I'm a Billecart-Salmon kinda guy
                              ... I knew that that Duncan-Smith chappie was all heart - a deeply misunderstood man, clearly.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                                ... I knew that that Duncan-Smith chappie was all heart - a deeply misunderstood man, clearly.
                                Shurrup vints - I eke out the minor celebrations of my days with the estimable own label Cava from Stevenage, far better than it sounds at £7.95 - but let a chap dream, can't you?

Comment

Working...
                                X