This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    I'd've thought so, too, Flossie - but this is junior's own prayer, so He should know ...
    Yes; & even Satan is answerable to God, so I suppose that he could simply be acting as God's agent in the temptation franchise.

(sorry, a bit OT. & where's Scotty when you need him?)

Comment

thanks on whereabouts - it was a news story about the White Widow that got me started on that ("her whereabouts remain(s) a mystery")

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
        Apostrophe now: Bad grammar and the people who hate ithttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22403731

....as a dyslexic with 'word finding'/choosing difficulties....tough....
        Good news about Cambridge, what?!

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          English linguistics not my thing, but I'd suggest that the 's' isn't a plural marker but an adverbial marker: as in to go forward(s)/backward(s)/sideways/hereabouts. 'Where' and 'abouts' have been fused to form a noun.
          Absolutely.

The problem in English is that we adopted the northern dialect -s plural (rather than -en, which persists only in oxen, brethren, women, men and children - plus maybe some others I can't think of). This became confused with the Old English genitive, which ended in -es (or 's) and also some other suffixes. Thus it's not much use trying to seek a logical reason for a final 's.

Comment

heard an olympic commentator at the weekend say "we hoped that both teams [GB men's and women's curling] would medal"

to medal. "do you hope to medal at the olympics?" - "yes, I hope to silver"
            Last edited by mercia; 17-02-14, 16:16.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
              heard an olympic commentator at the weekend say "we hoped that both teams [GB men's and women's curling] would medal"

to medal. "do you hope to medal at the olympics" - "yes, I hope to silver"

Well, I suppose even the modest among us can hope to bronze a bit.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

It has become quite common for someone to say "The proof is in the pudding". This has the advantage of being slightly shorter than the correct usage but has the disadvantage of not making sense.

Comment

Seen today: "Top Draw"

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                    Seen today: "Top Draw"
                    Would that be up on the mountain?

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                      Would that be up on the mountain?
                      What: the Alps?

Comment

I like this - "the tooter the sweeter" - the sooner the better - from tout de suite

World War One gave rise to a number of slang and colloquial expressions such as blighty and cushy, but some lasted longer than others.

do you agree that 'skiver' may be from esquiver ?

Comment

I like this - "the tooter the sweeter" - the sooner the better - from tout de suite
                          "asap" or Malcolm Tucker's variant "asafp" on The Thick of It.

Comment

World War One gave rise to a number of slang and colloquial expressions such as blighty and cushy, but some lasted longer than others.

do you agree that 'skiver' may be from esquiver ?
                            Ver-y interesting. I didn't know the verb esquiver in quite that sense - but there could be a connection (first OED example is 1919 Mil.) .

I did know the verb 'to skive' in the sense of removing the top layer of a piece of leather and I might have tried to wangle a link there, though that seems to derive from an Old Norse/Norwegian word connected with 'to shave'.

I note however that another OED meaning of 'skive' as 'To move lightly and quickly; to dart' which is says is of 'obcure origin'. But that seems to come from esquiver used as a boxing term, meaning to dodge or sidestep (in some examples). Under that heading I also note the example:

1854 A. E. Baker Gloss. Northamptonshire Words II. at Skave, Thus we say, ‘skiving like a lapwing’, in allusion to the manner in which that bird skims over the surface of a sheet of water.

To 'shave' the water?

Too much information ... . I think the answer to the question, more shortly put, might have been 'Yes'.
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

thanks

a person who advocates carrying on a conflict to the bitter end - a jusqu'auboutiste http://public.oed.com/appeals/

Comment

- that's lovely, mercs.
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X