No announcement yet.
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hadn't come across it, but it's in the OED, with several centuries of use. It seems to have gone out of use in the 19th century. It's not mentioned in the Supplement.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
      I hadn't come across it, but it's in the OED, with several centuries of use. It seems to have gone out of use in the 19th century. It's not mentioned in the Supplement.
      "Reinstate" is included in the Third (1934) edition of the OED I inherited from my late father, but not "instate", However the latter does seem an eminently appropriate diminution of what is undoubtedly a prefixed noun; what other word would adequately cover its meaning? "Place in"? "Include"? Those words somehow imply provisionality. There's an associative sense in re-instate of restoring something analogous to status or nationality which is better covered by "instatement", I think.

Comment

Interesting confusion here (Cambridge Dictionary):

Meaning given thus:
        instate
        verb [ T ]
        formalUK /ɪnˈsteɪt/ US /ɪnˈsteɪt/
        Add to word list
        to establish something:
        He pledged to instate new policies.​

But of three examples given, only one (the third) has that sense:

With his scholarships and paying instate tuition, it would have cost him $7,000 plus living expenses to finish the next two years of school.
        From Business Insider
        And, foreign student tuition is subsidized in the guise of diversity while instate student tuition/fees are doubled.
        From CNN
        They expressed a cordial readiness to instate him in the position which his father had occupied.
        From Project Gutenberg
        These examples are from corpora and from sources on the web. Any opinions in the examples do not represent the opinion of the Cambridge Dictionary editors or of Cambridge University Press or its licensors.​

The first two are surely related to the fact that, in the US, if you attend a college etc in the state in which you live your fees are less than if you attend one that isn't.
        In such cases I'd hyphenate:

The situation in the US is such that in-state tuition fees are lower than out-of-state ones.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
          I can't see a more recent quotation than 1864, and most frequently it refers to instating (appointing?) a person rather than a thing. Is it another recent American import?
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Instate (transitive verb meaning install) is given in my copies of
            Chambers
            COD
            Collins
            Merriam-Webster

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
              Instate (transitive verb meaning install) is given in my copies of
              Chambers
              COD
              Collins
              Merriam-Webster
              In the context given I think 'introduce' would be more appropriate (in fact quite usual) with the noun 'charge'. Mr Khan denied he would be introducing a road charge.

I was struck that the Merriam link had three examples on the internet, from Feb and March this year, of instate. For the first and second (instate curfews, instate Prohibition) 'impose' would be usual; in the third case 'appoint' would be normal English - 'appoint' s.o. to a position. As the Guardian is very quick (lately) to pick up on Americanisms - gotten appears in the same piece - I thought in the current case they were opting for non-British usage, or subs didn't think it worth altering the original.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

... in my copy of Johnson's Dixonary [1773 edn] we find : -

To INSTATE

1. To place in a certain rank or condition.
                'This kind of conqueft does only inftate the victor in thefe rights, which the conquered prince had.' / Hale.
                'Had this gliftering monfter been born to thy poverty, he could not have been fo bad : nor, perhaps, had thy birth inftated thee in the fame greatnefs, wouldft thou have been better.' / South.
                'The firft of them being eminently holy and dear to God, fhould derive a bleffing to his pofterity on that account, and prevail at laft to have them alfo accepted as holy, and inftated in the favour of God.' / Atterbury.

2. To inveft. Obfolete.
                . 'For his poffeffions,
                Although by confifcation they are ours,
                We do inftate and widow you withal.' / Shakefpeare.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  ... in my copy of Johnson's Dixonary [1773 edn] we find : -
                  No difpute yt ye ufage is auntient

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

What the f?????

Comment

Comment

The Ministry of Justice tells us that prison staff and visitors are 'regularly and randomly searched'.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          Gadzooks - wot no medial s on your keyboard?

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                            The Ministry of Justice tells us that prison staff and visitors are 'regularly and randomly searched'.
                            Maybe the staff regularly and visitors randomly? (That is, a 'respectively' is inadvertently missing!)
                            Or are only parts of them searched?

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Maybe the staff regularly and visitors randomly? (That is, a 'respectively' is inadvertently missing!)
                              Or are only parts of them searched?
                              I've just checked the MoJ statement, which says 'all jail staff and visitors are regularly and randomly searched'.
                              This story features in today's 'Times'.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

I've just checked the MoJ statement, which says 'all jail staff and visitors are regularly and randomly searched'.
                                This story features in today's 'Times'.
                                Looks like the gates get searched too (or maybe they've got lost/escaped and the hunt is on for them!):

Prison security rules acknowledge that at times insufficient staffing might mean the gate searches have to be managed “according to risk”. However, they add: “The expectation is that all visitors and staff entering the prison will be subject to enhanced gate search procedures.”

Comment

Working...
                                X