This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Looks like the gates get searched too (or maybe they've got lost/escaped and the hunt is on for them!):

Prison security rules acknowledge that at times insufficient staffing might mean the gate searches have to be managed “according to risk”. However, they add: “The expectation is that all visitors and staff entering the prison will be subject to enhanced gate search procedures.”
    What's an 'enhanced gate'?

Comment

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
      Gadzooks - wot no medial s on your keyboard?
      I didn't investigate, just copied m'friend's style. I did wonder if I should attempt a yt with a superscript t, but without Word I can't see how to do it. Must resurrect the old Mac to see if it's possible.

yt
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

yt

... yͭ's the way to do it!

.alþo.... þͭ's possible too?

Last edited by vinteuil; 28-03-24, 14:43.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          ... yt​'s the way to do it!
          .alþo....
          Almoſ​t (U+017F)

Comment

... ſo grateful!

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              ... ſo grateful!

Comment

Almoſ​t (U+017F)
                ſ ſ Shift+option on the Unicode hex keyboard. I found it, then lost it. then found it again.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  ſ ſ Shift+option on the Unicode hex keyboard. I found it, then lost it. then found it again.
                  ſeek, and ye ſhall find

Comment

ſeek, and ye ſhall find
                    Indeed, I'll know what to do when m. vinteuil quotes Dr Johnſon again.

Comment

Originally posted by oliver sudden View Post

Comment

.... from AuntDaisy's #6222 above - " the effective introduction of the reform in England was credited to the printer and publisher John Bell who in his British Theatre of 1791 used the short s throughout. /.../ Though it would be amusing to do so, there seems to be no reason to accept the legend that Bell initiated the change in his edition of Shakespeare because of his dismay at the appearance of the long s in Ariel's song in The Tempest: "Where the bee sucks, there suck I."

.​

Comment

Over here, the long s survives as the left-hand half of the ß (the right-hand half being one of those zeds that looks a bit like a 3)…

Comment

I have this ∫ (option+b) on the ordinary keyboard, which seems to be a variant (italic), without the half cross bar.

Comment

Mention of the long s reminds me of the double lower-case f, as in 'ffiona ffortescue-ffoliott-ffrench'. It's simply an old way of writing a capital F, but some writers mistake it, writing, for example 'Ffrench' (sic).

Comment

Working...
                              X