No announcement yet.
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apostrophe now: Bad grammar and the people who hate ithttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22403731

....as a dyslexic with 'word finding'/choosing difficulties....tough....
    bong ching

Comment

That's extremely interesting.
      Shops that drop apostrophes tend to be the ones with annoying piped music: Currys, Morrisons and even Waterstones.

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
        Apostrophe now: Bad grammar and the people who hate ithttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22403731
        Oh no...not that idiot Gwynne again!

See Gove thread:

Comment

Is it the same article Jean?....sorry if so....

....there are certain words/spellings and grammatical rules that my dyslexia just will not allow me to retain....eg the difference between affect/effect....use of , ; - ' ", ....no good telling me , as i will have forgotten by the time I next use them (personally I think I am a wonder to be able to communicate as well as I do ....a B' wonder)
          bong ching

Comment

No, it's a different article - but the same ubiquitous Mr Gwynne!

Comment

As a youth I learned that "seeded grapes" were grapes from which the seeds had been removed.

Now my local "shop" applies the label "seeded" to grapes from which the seeds have not been removed.

Is it my duty to go around crossing out all the labels?

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney Grew View Post
                As a youth I learned that "seeded grapes" were grapes from which the seeds had been removed.

Now my local "shop" applies the label "seeded" to grapes from which the seeds have not been removed.

No. It is your duty to keep up with the evolution of usage of the English language.

"How are you?" "I'm good." "Oh, but are you also well?"

Comment

Tesco sign, before good grammar campaign: '10 items or less'
                  Tesco sign, after good grammar campaign: 'up to 10 items'
                  Waitrose sign, unchanged: 'Ten items or fewer'

Comment

On the model of 'pitted olives', which is still found over here, presumably. The normal term for grapes now appears to be 'seedless'.

Yes, of course. As Lady Bracknell remarked: 'A man should always have an occupation of some kind.'
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Yes, of course. As Lady Bracknell remarked: 'A man should always have an occupation of some kind.'

Comment

so people actually went to the trouble of physically removing seeds from grapes ? - how laborious

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                          so people actually went to the trouble of physically removing seeds from grapes ? - how laborious

Even Mae West merely had them peeled.

Comment

...o ambiguities!

So "flammable" means the same as "inflammable".

But my favourite :

"It is necessary for technical reasons that these warheads be stored upside down, that is, with the top at the bottom and the bottom at the top. In order that there be no doubt as to which is the bottom and which is the top, for storage purposes, it will be seen that the bottom of each warhead has been labelled 'TOP'."

[Instructions accompanying a shipment of ballistic missiles from the Admiralty]

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                              ...o ambiguities!

So "flammable" means the same as "inflammable".

But my favourite :

"It is necessary for technical reasons that these warheads be stored upside down, that is, with the top at the bottom and the bottom at the top. In order that there be no doubt as to which is the bottom and which is the top, for storage purposes, it will be seen that the bottom of each warhead has been labelled 'TOP'."

[Instructions accompanying a shipment of ballistic missiles from the Admiralty]
                              Imagine the look on Mme Vinteuil's face when this parcel arrived,

"Another of your bright ideas from the pages of Exchange & Mart, beloved?"

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                                Imagine the look on Mme Vinteuil's face when this parcel arrived,

"Another of your bright ideas from the pages of Exchange & Mart, beloved?"

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/phot...3-766-1190.jpg
                                ... I don't know how you knew - a remarkable resemblance to Mme V (tho' she wears her hair shorter now-a-days... )

Comment

Working...
                                X