When you've a moment.. have look at this!

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
    Which one? And DO please stop whistling, you, am51 and others; I can hardly hear myself fail to think...
    I couldn't possibly say as to do so would unleash a torrent (and NOT "in summer")

Comment

As an audiophile, I found it amazing at the start, then watch what happens at about 3.00 mins....

Thorens Symphony CD50, 78 rpm record player with changer and both side playing capabilities from 1943, plays "Ohne dich kann ich nicht sein Liebling" and "Ad...
      - - -

John W

Comment

Yes, an amazing piece of technology. Do you know whether this preceded auto changers and auto-coupling for records?

edit: this is a very apt message number for this thread!

Comment

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
          Yes, an amazing piece of technology. Do you know whether this preceded auto changers and auto-coupling for records?

edit: this is a very apt message number for this thread!
          mangerton, the youtube page says the device is dated 1943. In my collection of 78s there are discs dated from around 1937 onwards that begin to feature a run-in groove right from the edge of the disc which suggests they were now made compatible with auto-changers and juke boxes. And run-off grooves spiral in right up to the label.
          - - -

John W

Comment

How many amateur musicologists does it take to ruin a thread?

Several, it would seem, all to point out "lovely video, heart-warming stuff, but, of course, I could never stand the last movement of Beethoven's Ninth! It's just so musically inept. Now, what you want to do in that 4th movement is...", none of which was going through the minds of those in the square.

Joy. That's all. An 'Ode to Joy', belief in humankind, inspiring joy and belief in humankind.

Comment

Working...
            X