When you've a moment.. have look at this!

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and of course (as one would expect !!) it's not exactly a new idea

did wonderful things at Aldeburgh last year

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

Black & Deckout?

Comment

original etc
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

I don't think the roof thing was original either ...........

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
            True, but obviously the assumed spontaneity has clearly been designed to fall away as more and more musicians appear and participate - and the timps don't come on until a fair way through the exercise.
            I thought the point was that the event should be unexpected by the populace - it's OK for the performers to be prepared surely? Look at C Hazelwood's recent efforts - cloggies etc.

Comment

I have a great deal of generosity
              but not much for advertising (or banks)
              It's a clever piece of theatre ........... i'm glad i'm not confusing this with "real" life
              I did not say 'generosity'. I said 'generosity of spirit' and it is abundantly clear that you do not understand or have any empathy for the latter. One could also take the view that Doversoul is your 'soul'mate in this regard, as well.

Let us take a look at how this thread progressed.

Gordon posted what to many of us was a link to what I would call a 'life-affirming' event. You only have to look at the enjoyment of the faces in the crowd The play-conducting of the children...a Dudamel in the making? Subsequent posts confirmed this positive view and the video brought enjoyment to many others. I have seen links to it on other forums where other equally positive posts have been made.

That is until Post 15 when MrGongGong has to jump in with his negativity. It added nothing to the thread and destroyed whatever bonhomie and joie de vivre there might have been. Banks in Spain are very regional. As has already been said, they do a lot of good work for their communities and in many ways are what our High Street banks used to be. The flash-mob was to celebrate their 130th anniversary. I doubt that it would make many people 'join' up (many people in the community are probably already bank customers) or that it was intended to be anything like the cynical marketing exercise that you or Doversoul would have us believe.

No, MrGongGong, you are a sad, miserable, embittered old man (or old woman, take your pick, as anyone can be anything behind the anonymity of the Internet). Keep your negativity to yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post

No, MrGongGong, you are a sad, miserable, embittered old man (or old woman, take your pick, as anyone can be anything behind the anonymity of the Internet). Keep your negativity to yourself.

not sad at all
                not miserable at all
                and not embittered at all

I guess if you turn off your brain then WYSIWYG
                why not invoke saint Daniel as well as saint Dudamel as well ?

The inability to distinguish acting from actuality (or is it all "acting" ?) is quite a useful skill which some seem to lack

if you actually read what I said

it's a very clever piece of theatre and uplifting like theatre can be
                if you are so insecure in your enjoyment that it is easily destroyed by a lightly cynical comment then I guess that says more about you than the thing itself.

Comment

So it's an advert for a BANK !!!!
                  what a shame

It is a lovely musical snippet and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I watched the people with great interest especially the children and the old lady (I am one of those) Most of the comments were positive until this one seemed to start the grumbles which is a great pity. Just enjoy it and be pleased that the Bank organised it, as I did. I have also repeated it and got the same enjoyment, it brightened up a very rainy grey day.

JanH

Comment

Thanks for the link, I'd not heard of or heard them before. This http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvc2hlvEDiM is brilliant (IMO).

Comment

Originally posted by JanH View Post
                      It is a lovely musical snippet and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I watched the people with great interest especially the children and the old lady (I am one of those) Most of the comments were positive until this one seemed to start the grumbles which is a great pity. Just enjoy it and be pleased that the Bank organised it, as I did. I have also repeated it and got the same enjoyment, it brightened up a very rainy grey day.

JanH
                      Absolutely. Although I've only recently joined the Forum, I've already noticed that just about any thread is at risk of being 'highjacked' by people wishing to cast aspersions on the character, views etc. of others. While I wouldn't DREAM of joining in , these exchanges are sometimes fun to read.
                      Just a thought: would those who decry this musical event because it was organized by a local bank cease to admire a beautiful building - one dedicated to the arts perhaps - if they discovered that it had been funded by slave-traders or their descendants? It would still be a beautiful building, and as far as I'm concerned the subject of this thread is still a beautiful event.

Comment

I don't think the roof thing was original either ...........
                        ...fascinated ....what else might there be?
                        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Originally posted by Northender View Post
                          Just a thought: would those who decry this musical event because it was organized by a local bank cease to admire a beautiful building - one dedicated to the arts perhaps - if they discovered that it had been funded by slave-traders or their descendants? It would still be a beautiful building, and as far as I'm concerned the subject of this thread is still a beautiful event.
                          There are a number of groups concerned with the ethics of corporate sponsorship of the arts, specifically sponsorship by the oil industry:

liberatetate.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, liberatetate.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

A coalition of organisations seeking an end to oil-industry sponsorship of the arts. The site contains articles, details of coalition member groups, details of what you can do and what institutions are involved and finally hundreds of artworks submitted by site users protesting oil industry sponsorship.

Enthusiasts for culture like to insist that the stuff - unlike oil - is so pure and Ideal it floats above anything as mucky or murky as politics. I don't have a particular view about the video, but I don't see that it's that outrageous or killjoy for someone to point out that it's a piece of commercial advertising (whatever else it may be). Members of the orchestra clearly didn't just get together and say 'let's go out into the Town Square and play Beethoven for the fun of it and the pleasure it will bring whoever might happen to be in the Town Square at the time' ... they are participating in an advertising video (as well, no doubt, as giving pleasure etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by JohnSkelton View Post
                            There are a number of groups concerned with the ethics of corporate sponsorship of the arts, specifically sponsorship by the oil industry:

This website is for sale! liberatetate.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, liberatetate.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

A coalition of organisations seeking an end to oil-industry sponsorship of the arts. The site contains articles, details of coalition member groups, details of what you can do and what institutions are involved and finally hundreds of artworks submitted by site users protesting oil industry sponsorship.

Enthusiasts for culture like to insist that the stuff - unlike oil - is so pure and Ideal it floats above anything as mucky or murky as politics. I don't have a particular view about the video, but I don't see that it's that outrageous or killjoy for someone to point out that it's a piece of commercial advertising (whatever else it may be). Members of the orchestra clearly didn't just get together and say 'let's go out into the Town Square and play Beethoven for the fun of it and the pleasure it will bring whoever might happen to be in the Town Square at the time' ....

Comment

I've just made a special thread for people who seem to like to suspend their critical faculties
                              it's here

so a place to say how wonderful everything always is

Comment

I'm not denying that it lacks spontaneity - indeed, it was skilfully edited, implying careful planning and a not inconsiderable degree of professionalism on the part of those behind it. Simple soul that I am, I just enjoyed it without feeling the need to examine the motives of whoever commissioned and produced it. It's not as if anybody's been misled, been or lied to, or ended up out of pocket, is it?

Comment

Working...
                                X