When you've a moment.. have look at this!

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    I tend to agree about the Beethoven.
    So do I, I'm afraid; it's a marvellously intriguing experiment but it ultimately falls flat for me, despite having some wonderful moments; that said, the idea of false starts, which is what the opening of that finale's all about, had already been explored rather more economically and effectively in the opening of the composer's Hammerklavier Sonata. The best bits in the symphony's first and third movements (especially the second theme in the latter) do sound a little as though Mahler had helped him to write them, though. No, the finale always strikes me as something of a wannabe-like warm-up act for the Missa Solemnis, where he really does get it right!

That said, whichever ad designer decided on "that big tune" from the finale for this exercise had probably been leant on by the bank to do something that will help to retrieve some public confidence in the Euro and its zone.

Cynical? Moi??

Comment

Fantastic!

Comment

difficult to make wheeling timpani about the streets look spontaneous

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
          True, but obviously the assumed spontaneity has clearly been designed to fall away as more and more musicians appear and participate - and the timps don't come on until a fair way through the exercise.

Comment

Oddly enough, the "effectiveness" of this particular performance seems to rest partly on its exclusion of the lengthy orchestral sections of this movement - e.g. the opening instrumental recitative and the (to me) fine fugue. Perhaps, had Beethoven had second thoughts, he might have found ways to separate the passages that could arguably be more convincing standing apart from one-another.

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
            The best bits in the symphony's first and third movements (especially the second theme in the latter) do sound a little as though Mahler had helped him to write them, though.

I've always felt this too - never dared say so!

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              I've always felt this too - never dared say so!
              Ah, well - if that tells you anything at all, it's probably that I have more courage than sense! Specifically, it's the young Mahler that seems to me presciently to have exerted his influence upon these aspects of the work - the Mahler of the First Symphony especially - but the passages concerned are none the worse for his generous and thoughtful assistance (indeed the better rather than the worse, I'd say! - now what was that advice that I just ignored about not digging deeper when in a hole?)...

Comment

Brilliant video, although the last movement of Beethoven 9 doesn't really do it for me.(no problem with movts 1 to 3).
                It doesn't work for me as a conclusion to that symphony but I think it could have worked as a stand-alone piece with a different recitative introduction, a sort of cantata like the Choral Fantasia - it is wonderful music. I would rather have had an orchestral conclusion to the 9th, perhaps based on the Allegro appassionata theme that LvB eventually used in the op 132 string quartet, and which he was considering using for this symphony.

Comment

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                  It doesn't work for me as a conclusion to that symphony but I think it could have worked as a stand-alone piece with a different recitative introduction, a sort of cantata like the Choral Fantasia - it is wonderful music. I would rather have had an orchestral conclusion to the 9th, perhaps based on the Allegro appassionata theme that LvB eventually used in the op 132 string quartet, and which he was considering using for this symphony.
                  That's an intriguing thought. For me, though, I'm sorry to have to admit that the Ninth's finale isn't wonderful music - it contains wonderful music - so I'm by no means convinced as you appear to be that it could work as a standalone piece - and the Choral Fantasia, whilst by no means as trite and tedious as Wellington's Boot Camp, is hardly Beethoven at anywhere near his best and the most positive thing that I can think to say about it is that it might have given Busoni an idea for the finale of his absurdly wonderful Piano Concerto...

All of this reminds me of how nauseated I get whenever I hear smug, reverential and pompous talk of "the Ninth Symphony" as though everyone will know of what work is being spoken and it sure ain't Shostakovich, Pettersson, Simpson, Rubbra, Henze, Vaughan Williams or any of the heaven knows how many other composers whose symphonic tally reaches to or beyond nine; I also speak occasionally of "The Ninth Symphony" in polite company; I do so in memory of Webern's remark about "the only Sixth, despite the Pastoral!", so I mean Mahler's, of course...

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                    Bang on there, mercs

Comment

Originally posted by Angle View Post
                      Marvellous. Every British orchestra should follow suit, in every town and city centre throughout the country. The BBC should lead the way, so come on RW, you of all people should support whole-heartedly.
                      Great idea, Angle

Hope all's well - we miss you on AA

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                        Bang on there
                        I'm sure that's not the correct technical term for timpani playing

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                          So it's an advert for a BANK !!!!
                          what a shame
                          You really have NO generosity of spirit, do you? I almost feel sad for you.

Comment

The Forum is a very broad church!

Comment

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
                              I have a great deal of generosity
                              but not much for advertising (or banks)
                              It's a clever piece of theatre ........... i'm glad i'm not confusing this with "real" life

Comment

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
                                Originally posted by MrGG
                                it's a very clever piece of theatre and uplifting like theatre can be
                                I don’t feel as generous as he has been. I see this as marketers (?) exploiting the dream that is very close to the heart of a lot of us on this forum and, I imagine, of many other people. Although I too admit that it is a very good piece of marketing work, as it brilliantly succeeded in making the viewers feel good, which is the best way to get people to buy your product.

[ed] I don’t mean the marketers knew anything about our dream. It was just a plain bad luck that (to feel being exploited) we/I still have the dream that one day we can say, ‘see what music can do?’
                                Last edited by doversoul1; 13-07-12, 14:01.

Comment

Working...
                                X