Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over the years FM reception has deteriorated, but I've lived in various parts of England and found it varies from place to place as well. Just east of Birmingham was superb, Stafford rubbish, Stockport quite good, etc. DAB isnt faultless,though. When the signal is weak one gets that 'water gurgling down the plug-hole' noise.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
      Over the years FM reception has deteriorated, but I've lived in various parts of England and found it varies from place to place as well. Just east of Birmingham was superb, Stafford rubbish, Stockport quite good, etc. DAB isnt faultless,though. When the signal is weak one gets that 'water gurgling down the plug-hole' noise.
      Chez nous it's a question of finding the right room and pointing the aerial in the right direction, which is why I often listen through my TV set or via Sounds on my desktop.

Comment

Not precisely on-topic as it’s about the online blurb for Late Junction tonight (which I happened to notice), but I couldn’t think of anywhere else to say…

… listeners (I won’t be one of them) are promised “ear-quenching” sounds

As I understand “to quench” means “to extinguish”, does this denote deafening noises?

I suppose one knows what the intern who wrote it was driving at, but it does seem to me an example of desperate attempts at promotion descending into nonsense…
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
          Not precisely on-topic as it’s about the online blurb for Late Junction tonight (which I happened to notice), but I couldn’t think of anywhere else to say…

As I understand “to quench” means “to extinguish”, does this denote deafening noises?

I suppose one knows what the intern who wrote it was driving at, but it does seem to me an example of desperate attempts at promotion descending into nonsense…
          I googled 'ear-quenching' and was directed to a list of possible causes or symptoms of tinnitus.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

I googled 'ear-quenching' and was directed to a list of possible causes or symptoms of tinnitus.
            QED
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Chez nous it's a question of finding the right room and pointing the aerial in the right direction, which is why I often listen through my TV set or via Sounds on my desktop.
              When I started having problems even with the DAB signal I tried the 'travels with my radio' exercise with the little kitchen radio(recommended from various sources) I bought some years ago to see if aerial changes might improve matters. I didn't get anything better in the other rooms, even upstairs at the back which faces out onto open countryside.
              The mismatch between the volume and clarity of the unwanted intrusions and presenter chat, and the music, has become extreme the past couple of weeks, and the variability of the level to which I have to increase the volume to hear anything of the music(and the number of times I've just had to abandon the attempt) has also become greater which suggests to me that the problems I've been having are not at my end.
              Yesterday the Under Milk Wood ad made me jump as the voices were so loud it was shouting at me, even though on that occasion the general volume was not high as the preceding music item had been coming through "normally". Later I was upstairs when the music item(which I couldn't hear upstairs) finished and the subsequent presenter voice was so loud I could hear what was being said quite clearly - not a good situation in a mid-terrace house... The remote is now being employed full time not only to mute the ads but also to turn down the presenter live bits. It's doubly tiresome as the remote is very fussy in terms of orientation, so I can't just point at the box, it has to be precisely lined up - which depends on where in the room I am as to whether it takes effect in time. The radio has been off more often than on recently as I just can't be bothered with the hassle and frequent interruptions to whatever I'm doing.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if the 2024 ARIAS included a new 'Best Trailer' category.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                  In my hi-fi set-up I have two tuners, one FM and one DAB. I get good reception on both. The DAB is an old (about 20 years) Videologic unit which I'm sure won't work when the switch is made to DAB+. If FM is switched off I shall need to re-think. I really only listen to R3 on the DAB and with the R3 offering getting steadily worse, with the increasing numbers of trails, bitty music and annoying presentation, it doesn't seem worth buying a new tuner. I think I might be better off paying more and getting a streamer/internet radio unit instead.

Comment

Unfortunately for the intern there is AFAIK no aural equivalent of 'thirst'.

Comment

Having just read the blurb I think perhaps the word the person was looking for was drenching rather than quenching?
                      Ear quenching conjures up white sound to me.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Having just read the blurb I think perhaps the word the person was looking for was drenching rather than quenching?
                        Ear quenching conjures up white sound to me.
                        'Ear-quenching' = providing satisfaction or relief through listening (cf. thirst-quenching)?

Comment

Originally posted by hmvman View Post

In my hi-fi set-up I have two tuners, one FM and one DAB. I get good reception on both. The DAB is an old (about 20 years) Videologic unit which I'm sure won't work when the switch is made to DAB+. If FM is switched off I shall need to re-think. I really only listen to R3 on the DAB and with the R3 offering getting steadily worse, with the increasing numbers of trails, bitty music and annoying presentation, it doesn't seem worth buying a new tuner. I think I might be better off paying more and getting a streamer/internet radio unit instead.
                          +1. I rarely listen to R3 these days but still delighted to drop in from time to time and come across a piece I'd not heard before (actually there is a lot I've not heard before) ...such as Friday's Weber Langsamer...and tonights Giovanni which I thoroughly enjoyed. Well, obviously I've heard DG before !

Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

Neatly sandwiched between the end of COTW and the news - a rhyming trailer for the 6 Nations.

Comment

I've noticed a steady increase in what one might call 'retrotrailers' - enthusiastic - nay, glowing - reviews of programmes broadcast in the previous 24 to 48 hours.

Comment

There was a truly excruciating interruption to 'Classical Live' at about 3.45 pm yesterday (1545 BST: a time when I've noticed it goes a bit wacky). Some women shouting about a podcast. I couldn't understand a word of it. So much for 'the home of classical music'.

Comment

Working...
                                X