Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may have led a sheltered life but I came across a phrase a couple of days ago which was:
    "From the get go I knew he was no good" What is wrong with the words 'beginning' or 'start''?

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      I may have led a sheltered life but I came across a phrase a couple of days ago which was:
      "From the get go I knew he was no good" What is wrong with the words 'beginning' or 'start''?
      Nothing; "outset" might be even better. "Get go" is, I think, of American origin but it seems from what you write here that the Welsh have now imported its use just as has almost everyone else who speaks English!...

Comment

Just came across one that really made me wince.....
        (although, as I've already stated, I have almost no personal interest in purchasing packaged food products)
        It belongs up there with......
        (although, as I've already stated, I don't have a television)

Comment

What is a ball park figure ?
          I hear the phrase a lot at work.

Comment

Originally posted by anotherbob View Post
            Just came across one that really made me wince.....
            (although, as I've already stated, I have almost no personal interest in purchasing packaged food products)
            It belongs up there with......
            (although, as I've already stated, I don't have a television)
            Being familiar with the author of one but not the other of these, what exactly is it about both of them that "really makes you wince"?

Comment

a ball park figure ?

it's presumably someone very large, who takes up the entire park?

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                What is a ball park figure ?
                I hear the phrase a lot at work.
                It's from America, of course, but I always thought Americans referred to 'numbers' rather than 'figures'.

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                  More "in the way of" showers and "more organised rain" as often heard in weather forecasts; the forecaster never identifies the particular meteorological phenomenon that is anticipated to obstruct (i.e. get "in the way of") showers and the notion of "organised" rainfall might be offensive to atheists...
                  And anarchists, probably. We should just be grateful at how frequently the rain nowadays "fizzles out", usually "as we head through the afternoon".

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    People know better than to suggest "touching base" with me in the office, as I tend to reply that I'll see them in the Tribunal for inappropriate physical contact...
                    I believe it is an American term m'Lud originating in the game of baseball which is like rounders with uniforms and foul language. Will there be anything else, Sir?

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      Will there be anything else, Sir?
                      You may now step up to the plate.

Comment

A "ball park figure" is an estimated number which is vague but supposedly still within the confines of reason (the baseball park).

Comment

"Redact" is the latest word that we can expect to done to death in the next few months by those in the media who like to show off a bit.

Comment

Meant to flag this earlier, and I shall catch up with it myself.... but it looks as if this programme is likely to chime in with the subject of this thread: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01qqslg

"This week, The Verb looks at the language and literature of banking and business."
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I've been visiting a lot of schools recently
                              and most of them make a great play of being "outstanding"
                              BUT (and I discussed this with some 10 year olds) surely if everyone is "outstanding" then they aren't ?

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                                I've been visiting a lot of schools recently
                                and most of them make a great play of being "outstanding"
                                BUT (and I discussed this with some 10 year olds) surely if everyone is "outstanding" then they aren't ?
                                That is so. It is a bit like everyone wanting to be 'above average' - only more so. No doubt someone will coin 'superoutstanding' (superstanding?) to compensate.

Comment

Working...
                                X