Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Primarily used on TV and which, for some reason, irritate the hell out of me:

"Too close to call" - invariably used at election times and now in full use on nearly every news bulletiin.

"Wall to wall sunshine" - why not say "cloudless"?

"Wrap up warm" - patronising. As if I didn't know it was cold outside and was prepared to venture forth in T shirt and shorts because I hadn't be told otherwise.

And the word: "scoop". Just cannot bring myself to use it in any context whatsoever. Inexplicable, I know, but there it is.
    Last edited by Bax-of-Delights; 05-11-12, 15:12.
    O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Going forward - ah, in the future!

Capacity-building - mmm training

Over-hyped - no, just hyped (if you must )

Comment

draw a line under something as used by politicians after a scandal.

Lessons needing to be learnt as used by politicians after a scandal.

Green shoots as used by economics journalists, not on gardening programmes.

And a hundred other forms of political cant and journalistic laziness. I'm all for Amis's war on cliché.

Oh, and badly as used by Cameron, as in "we badly need" to do something. Idiot.

Comment

'iconic'

Comment

I'll give you a bell', when I presume they are going to phone me.

Idiosyncratic, used with iconic to show they are 'with it' which is another rather dated one.

Comment

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
            "Wall to wall sunshine" - why not say "cloudless"? "Wrap up warm" - patronising.
            Also in weather forecasts 'The best of the sunshine will be...[elsewhere!]' - as though I'm going to get in my car in search of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
              It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius
              BTW Thropplenoggin, what is this in Latin?

Comment

"Work smarter" (which is grammatically incorrect).

Comment

"at this moment in time" why not NOW?

"outcomes" ......... what's wrong with RESULTS?

and lots of others that escape me at the moment!! I try to console myself that all these ridiculous words/phrases will, in time, become unfashionable and real english will gain favour.......but I've been waiting for a rather long time for this to happen.

Comment

"Tasked"
                    "Lefty"
                    "Gove"
                    "Gerontius" ()
                    "in the real world" (when not talking about a studio near Bath)

and

"Musical Theatre"

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      "Work smarter" (which is grammatically incorrect).
                      Interesting one Alps. I think in US usage 'smart' can be an adverb as well as an adjective. E.g. 'Act smart'.

Not that it would make it less irritating for you, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                        Interesting one Alps. I think in US usage 'smart' can be an adverb as well as an adjective. E.g. 'Act smart'.

Not that it would make it less irritating for you, of course.

That's because it's part of the growing trend to use adjectives where adverbs should be used.

Two that spring to mind, one from weather forecasters.... "through the day". What's wrong with "during...."? Even worse, "As we head through the day, afternoon, whatever...."

One sadly in the news at the moment, "electrocuted to death".

Comment

I really cannot stand "Train station". It seems to be ubiquitous nowadays, and sets my teeth on edge every time I hear it. Why has everyone suddenly started speaking like this?

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                            Also in weather forecasts 'The best of the sunshine will be...[elsewhere!]' - as though I'm going to get in my car in search of it.

Comment

Phrases/words ... which, for some reason, irritate the hell out of me
                              I like your style, Baxo!!

And the word: "scoop". Just cannot bring myself to use it in any context whatsoever. Inexplicable, I know, but there it is.
                              Though that is just bizarre!!

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              Going forward
                              That's possibly my ultimate bugbear... The horrible repetitive chorus line of endless internal meetings...

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                              "Gerontius" ()

Sneaky!!!

I hate the transparent would-be-inclusiveness of "our" used by party leaders... "our country" ... "our people"... "our communities"... "our young people"....
                              Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 05-11-12, 15:41.
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                              X