Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    I knew, I just KNEW somebody would ask.
    And I had a short list of likely candidates.

Both the board and the shop had contents that had undergone curation. Well, I assume, as they didn't make it clear.
    I know. Wrong thread

It was one of those posh west country towns.
    There's only one, isn't there? Typical of them
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

getting worse , this one.

I noticed a shop with an A board the other day, describing its contents as " Curated".

No doubt the curator had a 2 day residency.
      What is an A board? Something that only adults are allowed to look at?

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
        What is an A board? Something that only adults are allowed to look at?
        You know when you're walking along a shopping street and suddenly somebody walks into you because they're trying not to walk into a board (advertising the shop right next to it, "Fish & Chips Open" or "Delicious Fish & Chips" if customers need to be reassured) on the pavement outside a shop? That's an "A Board", supposedly because when you look at it from the side, it looks like a letter A - but I think it's because that's the noise you make when somebody treads on your foot trying to avoid it.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

But, go on, ts - what was the shop selling? How can goods in a shop be "curated"? (It wasn't a butcher trying to be posh about the bacon, was it?)

Comment

I think Ferney is indefinitely correct.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              But, go on, ts - what was the shop selling? How can goods in a shop be "curated"? (It wasn't a butcher trying to be posh about the bacon, was it?)

I rather brushed past indignantly, I'm afraid, not noticing too carefully, and then paid in Karma points by leaving my bank card in the cash machine. (But not the fiver, thankfully ).

At the risk of being sexist, it wasn't bacon, or herbal remedies, I think it was girly nik naks, bangles, pot pourri, that sort of stuff.

I don't know how stuff in a shop can be curated. I don't think I ever will.
              Last edited by teamsaint; 17-09-14, 20:02.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

pot pourri
                Ah! The sort of shop Ian Paisley would have avoided.

Comment

You know when you're walking along a shopping street and suddenly somebody walks into you because they're trying not to walk into a board (advertising the shop right next to it, "Fish & Chips Open" or "Delicious Fish & Chips" if customers need to be reassured) on the pavement outside a shop? That's an "A Board", supposedly because when you look at it from the side, it looks like a letter A - but I think it's because that's the noise you make when somebody treads on your foot trying to avoid it.
                  Not a term I'd ever heard, though it makes perfect sense. I'd always called them 'sandwich boards', even though they were without their filling (i.e. the sandwich man).

I can't imagine how you would curate one. Compare and contrast with Babylonian cuniform tablets, perhaps?

Comment

Ah! The sort of shop Ian Paisley would have avoided.

....and the sort that might have sold red socks.

Comment

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                      ....and the sort that might have sold red socks.
                      W A Poucher (he of 'lofty coign of vantage' fame) always wore red socks so that if he were to become stuck head down in a snow drift he might be seen and rescued.

A useful tip for all winter photographers.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                        Not a term I'd ever heard, though it makes perfect sense. I'd always called them 'sandwich boards', even though they were without their filling (i.e. the sandwich man).

I can't imagine how you would curate one. Compare and contrast with Babylonian cuniform tablets, perhaps?
                        Back in the '60s there was an old guy who paraded a sandwich board through Soho. On the front it said "Prepare to meet thy doom!", and underneath was a quote, probably from Revelation. On the back the sandwich board had a poster which read, "Eat at Joe's"!

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          Back in the '60s there was an old guy who paraded a sandwich board through Soho. On the front it said "Prepare to meet thy doom!", and underneath was a quote, probably from Revelation. On the back the sandwich board had a poster which read, "Eat at Joe's"!
                          There's still a lugubrious bloke who wanders around Speakers' Corner of a Sunday with boards saying "It's Going To Get Worse" front and back!!

I don't think he's talking about Radio 3...
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            There's still a lugubrious bloke who wanders around Speakers' Corner of a Sunday with boards saying "It's Going To Get Worse" front and back!!

I don't think he's talking about Radio 3...
                            Possibly not ... but rumour has it that he's got a single rail ticket to Aldeburgh.

Comment

I was just trying to parson some information.
                              There must be something to cure it.
                              "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

Originally posted by Radio64 View Post
                                There must be something to cure it.
                                I'm on the verger banning this discussion....
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X