Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Just discovered that the legendary mathematician and sometime songwriter and cabaret performer Tom Lehrer has made all his commercial recordings available to download or stream in 256kbps mp3 format from this website: https://tomlehrersongs.com/albums/?f...DWzHRMmxmUWP-8

Who could resist?
    Maybe Pigeons!

Comment

and seconded perhaps by squirrels.

Comment

One of my very favourites:

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIKGV2cTgqA)

Comment

Maybe this will be of limited interest, but I noticed that some Waves plugins for DAWs are currently quite cheap. I was particularly interested in the surround sound mixer for headphones - see Nx-virtual mix room:

https://www.waves.com/plugins/nx#int...rtual-mix-room which now seems to be $29. Also if you buy more you might be able to pick up some other ones of interest to you with some "free" additional plugins thrown in.

To get a vague idea of what the virtual mix room (with headphones) can do, watch this YT video - but don't bother with the intro [boring ...] go straight to 8 mins 50 seconds and watch for around a minute.
          Of course you do have to wear headphones to get the effect - but I was really surprised - it works for me!

There are other plugins which might just be of interest for anyone playing with DAWs or similar tools [not sure if these will work with MuseScore 4 - but they might ...]. Some are very specific - for example de-essers [for speech] which could be of interest for anyone playing with speech drama or podcasting, and various compressors [though many DAWs may already come with a decent enough compressor], or a harmoniser - see https://www.waves.com/plugins/waves-...ony-playground

For myself - if I do any of these it'll most likely be the headphone surround mix plugin, but one or two of the others might tempt me.

Comment

One thing to check if anyone is thinking of the plugins from Wave is whether they'll actually work with hardware already owned [or used].

It is possible that the plugins will only work with the very latest hardware and software - though that may depend on the particular plugin.
            Here is a web page which gives at least basic compatibility requirements - https://www.waves.com/support/tech-s...m-requirements.

Comment

Perhaps not of general wide spread interest - except for a sub niche of video edit enthusiasts - but FCP Effects are offering all of their plug-in effects for Final Cut Pro X for 67 US dollars in a one day St Patrick’s Day sale - today!

There are a lot of them, and some are very good.

Comment

Recently I saw an offer of a Crucial 2 TB X8 SSD at a reasonable price - around £120. This seemed good to me, but when I tried to order it I realised the offer expired yesterday - 29th, not the end of this month as I expected.

I was going to consider something else, but then I noticed that Amazon still have that SSD at around £106. Hopefully this may turn out to be useful.

Comment

Spitfire Audio currently have some of their instrument libraries available on offer. Apart from the free LABS ones, there are some others which may be quite good for £17,£19,£29 and upwards.

Of course you can buy all of them for around £13,000 - which it seems is roughly half the total price which is around £27,000!

Comment

Since this is a download bargain, It can't go in the "Bargains" thread but I have just noted that, currently, QOBUZ have the complete Shostakovich Symphonies (plus the Second Violin Concerto, The Execution of Stepan Razin, and The Sun Shines over Our Motherland) for £17.23 (lossless CD rate).

Comment

Is that the same set that was available on HMV/Melodiya Lps in the 1970s? Some of them were a revelation at the time, when several of the symphonies had one or no available recording in the UK. It's easy to forget this today when we are swamped with complete sets.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                        Is that the same set that was available on HMV/Melodiya Lps in the 1970s? Some of them were a revelation at the time, when several of the symphonies had one or no available recording in the UK. It's easy to forget this today when we are swamped with complete sets.
                        Not quite. Most of the recordings are the same, but IIRC, the HMV/Melodiya LP set was not exclusively Kondrashin. I will have a look on Discogs to refresh my memory (failing that, I will take a trip to the loft to check my HMV box).

Ah, the are quite a few differences. Here's a link to the Discogs listing for the HMV set. The Melodiya CD set is all Kodrashin: https://www.discogs.com/master/68674...ymphonien-1-15 (https://www.discogs.com/master/68674...Njg1MDkxNzQ%3D), and here's that for the Melodiya CD set: https://www.discogs.com/release/1001...ete-Symphonies
                        Last edited by Bryn; 28-06-23, 15:56. Reason: Update.

Comment

I thought I'd find a place - thanks Bryn! - to report a bargain from John Lewis - their Tenor Hi-Fi music system, which I've just purchased to replace my ailing Pure bedside radio/CD player. When I get to the end of the set-up instructions I'll have a good replacement...!

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                            I thought I'd find a place - thanks Bryn! - to report a bargain from John Lewis - their Tenor Hi-Fi music system, which I've just purchased to replace my ailing Pure bedside radio/CD player. When I get to the end of the set-up instructions I'll have a good replacement...!
                            Thanks for the tip KB, that’s got rid of half of a recent tax rebate ( well a promised refund , as the cheque hasn’t arrived as yet )

Bought a walnut one to replace the old kitchen Philips unit which doesn't have bluetooth, and has one or two other minor issues.
                            The reviews are pretty good,( I always take the odd outlier with a pinch of salt) and it should look a lot tidier than the current one.

Does look like a decent bargain at that price, and the JL two year warranty is good.Another area where some big price rises seem to be kicking in.
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                              ... many thanks for this nudge! Perfect timing to replace the ancient much-loved but now unreliable Pure set-up in the kitchen. I'm not sure the wifi signal is strong enough there for the internet radio to work properly - will have to investigate getting a booster/extender...

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                                ... many thanks for this nudge! Perfect timing to replace the ancient much-loved but now unreliable Pure set-up in the kitchen. I'm not sure the wifi signal is strong enough there for the internet radio to work properly - will have to investigate getting a booster/extender...

Mine was delivered half an hour ago, all up and running now. Or at least the bluetooth and CD are.
                                Sound seems pretty good actually. Nice rich sound on Dave Brubeck’s Time In.

Enjoy yours when you get it, Vinny. Probably best to run the set up wizard and get the internet going. I didn’t, but you can do it later. Can be done via a WPS button if you have one.
                                TBH I fell out of love with internet radio a while back when my Marantz system’s internet radio just stopped, because Marantz didn’t renew its licence . Most stations are easier to stream via bluetooth, I would think ?

I hope the FM radio gives better football results than the old Philips did……
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X